~Triggering them Mid-March~

Infidel 762

Staff member

Was thinking… it was this night 20 years ago coalition forces began the invasion of Iraq, as I exhaled my vape to verify wind direction. I got back into the truck to focus on the task at hand. The glow of my iPad was the only illumination as I studied satellite imagery of the property I was about to hunt. “Somewhere along that creek bottom are coyotes I just know it.” An overhead view of the terrain features starts looking like a chessboard as I plan my moves. A move to not be detected yet close enough to trigger them to respond. Coyotes are the apex predators of my area and this is their territory. Triggering them to move into a position of check mate is the challenge I chase.

There are hunts where I loose track of time due to the mental aspect of this style of hunt, times I realize the eastern horizon begin to lighten with the approaching dawn. There are also hunts where I’m worn out, frustrated, cold, tired and wishing for bed at 4 AM. Despite the physical grind, I can usually find that spark to trudge forward in hopes of that next productive stand. When it does come together and I get that check mate; I am no longer cold, any frustration diminishes and it’s a fresh burst of energy. More importantly I am not stressing on the topics nor issues that are the price for living in our modern society… I guess that’s why I do it…

midmarch.jpg

You did way better than we did Saturday night. Shifting wind kicked our tail, plus we spent half the night calling an area that we didn't know had been trapped extremely hard the last few months. Stand after stand we could not figure out why nothing was responding, until I texted the landowner and he clued me in. 110 coyotes had been trapped out of that area in the last 3 months. No wonder we could not call anything up. We weren't even hearing anything howling, nothing.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that for your “group photos “ you are dragging all of them. You gotta be tired at the end of the night. I also believe you must have went to the same training as Kino. Mighty fine shooting as always. Thanks

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXYou did way better than we did Saturday night. Shifting wind kicked our tail, plus we spent half the night calling an area that we didn't know had been trapped extremely hard the last few months. Stand after stand we could not figure out why nothing was responding, until I texted the landowner and he clued me in. 110 coyotes had been trapped out of that area in the last 3 months. No wonder we could not call anything up. We weren't even hearing anything howling, nothing.

We got a trapper in my area that does pretty good trapping some of the same farms that border some of the farms I hunt. He chargers quite a bit to do it I looked up his prices.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyIt just occurred to me that for your “group photos “ you are dragging all of them. You gotta be tired at the end of the night. I also believe you must have went to the same training as Kino. Mighty fine shooting as always. Thanks I try not to drag them that far, only as far as I can go pick them up with the truck, I just drop pins so I can easily find them

Another chapter in a very interesting book on "how to get it done". Congrats on your success and thanks so much for sharing.

Back