What states made AR15 Illegal for hunting?

Coyotejunki

Here in Missouri we can hunt with AR's, I am curious what states don't/won't allow a non resident to hunt with an AR15?

Guessing CA, IL, maybe NY and NJ

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiHere in Missouri we can hunt with AR's, I am curious what states don't/won't allow a non resident to hunt with an AR15?

Guessing CA, IL, maybe NY and NJ
I've never heard of any.
It's more about magazine capacity and cartridge size (depending on game type).

OK, maybe I am totally wrong.

I believe Illinois now is making their residents register their AR's, but I guess they can still hunt coyotes with them?

Then what is the deal with CA? Do AR's have to be modified to be compliant? If an out of stater like me wants to hunt there again, do I have to make my AR compliant, whatever that is?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOK, maybe I am totally wrong.

I believe Illinois now is making their residents register their AR's, but I guess they can still hunt coyotes with them?

Then what is the deal with CA? Do AR's have to be modified to be compliant? If an out of stater like me wants to hunt there again, do I have to make my AR compliant, whatever that is?
Yep, a CA compliant AR is a neutered POS, IMO.

They must have a total length of 30 inches or more, regardless of magazine type
No pistol grip that protrudes “conspicuously” beneath the action
No folding or telescoping stocks permitted/no thumb hole stocks
No detachable magazine/fixed magazines cannot accept more than 10 rounds
No grenade or flare launcher
No flash suppressor
No forward pistol grip
No threaded barrel

Some of the legislators in NM tried to ban this year, but it didn't stick. Seems to be get closer every legislative session though...

As far as I know in Illinois now it would have to have a maximum of 10 round magazine if you were using it for coyote hunting. If it was chambered in a straight walled rifle cartridge or 300 black out it can now be used for deer as long as it performs as a single shot. Apparently 20 round or more magazines are only legal at your home or shooting range and have to be unloaded and in a separate case in between. 🤷‍♂️10 round magazines apparently don’t have to be emptied during transporting though.

Originally Posted By: DirectDrive

No flash suppressor
No forward pistol grip
No threaded barrel
Close, but not quite... My AR15 has a pistol grip, a telescoping stock, and a "fixed" mag that changes out in 2 seconds. It's completely CA legal.
30129142337_fc57266201_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: DirectDrive

No flash suppressor
No forward pistol grip
No threaded barrel
Close, but not quite... My AR15 has a pistol grip, a telescoping stock, and a "fixed" mag that changes out in 2 seconds. It's completely CA legal.

How are you CA compliant with a normal pistol grip ?

You have the featureless rules and the fixed magazine rules mixed together, making it sound worse than it is.

"Fixed" magazine via Hogue Freedom Fighter and AR Maglock Kingpin. While the reciever is closed/assembled, the Freedom Fighter prevents the mag release from working. Fixed magazine, CA compliant with a 10rd mag. Press the spring loaded Kingpin with your thumb and the action seperates 1/4 inch and stops. The Freedom Fighter allows the mag release to work while the reciever is separated. While the reciever is seperated, activate the mag release to dump a mag. Insert a new mag and close the reciever which locks closed automaticly via the Kingpin. All that happens in 2 seconds. You can see the stainless Kingpin in my reciever, it replaces the rear takedown pin. Great for hunting with a 10rd mag, you keep the pistol grip and telescoping stock. This is just one of the fixed mag options.

For a fighting rifle, I'd rather use a "featureless" fin grip, fixed stock, and standard mag release & standard detachable 30-rd mags. Unless you're Delta Force, I bet I can shoot about anything you can shoot just as fast with it. Featureless is not ideal, but it's not that bad.
52768043325_71d45fc19e_c.jpg

In Illinois mags over 10 rounds are grandfathered in. They just can only be possessed on private property either your own or another's property that you have permission to possess them on and are allowed to be transport in between those places but they need to be unloaded and in a case. Oh unless you are law enforcement or are retired from law enforcement or work in any sort of security service or are active military. In other words if you are in a leo union contributing to our commie corrupt governor. Nor are these same groups required to register any so called assault weapons. This is the very reason the laws will be overturned under equal protection legalities and has been found by a Marion County Judge to be unconstitutional and has several injunctions against it in multiple other cases. Around 90% of Sherrif departments are refusing to enforce it. I do not believe there are any orders at the state level on how to enforce it either. Non residents can be here 24hrs with there scary assault chit. It is also illegal to transfer, posses, deliver, cause to be delivered so much as detent spring out of any thing the commies deem to be an assault rifle, pistol or shotgun. All of this applies to semi auto shotguns as well. If it has pistol grip or thumbhole stock and holds more than five rounds (unsure about mini shells) it is now an assault weapon.

It's not just rifles. They have attacked the right to own just about any semi auto weapon......you know the most effective ones to defend one's self and or fight tyranny.

Last edited:
It wasnt until this new legislation was signed Jan 10th. It was introduced as an insurance bill and 72 hours later was signed in as a full-blown anti gun bill. That's another reason it will be overturned and hopefully lead to some more progress in uprooting corruption on how they are illegally passing bills in this freaking state. All of this while passing more laws to make it harder to arrest, prosecute, and imprison those who commit very serious crimes. They are doing everything to criminalize good people who are dependent on noone and keep loose those who habitually breaks laws. It's intention because Noone could be that ignorant. The corrupt communist money is flowing no doubt. There is a reason Illinois governors tend to end up in federal prison. Chicago is a plague.

Last edited:
Seems to be a common theme. I am spending more and more every year donating to GOA, NRA, FCP. Soon to be more.

I guess i will do a little inventory and make sure i have enough spare springs and detents....

Originally Posted By: DirectDriveOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: DirectDrive

No flash suppressor
No forward pistol grip
No threaded barrel

How are you CA compliant with a normal pistol grip ?
My copy & paste must have been mixed up.
I thought all CA pistol grips had the "fin".
Hopefully I will never have to worry about it, but you never know.

" It is also illegal to transfer, posses, deliver, cause to be delivered so much as detent spring out of any thing the commies deem to be an assault rifle, pistol "

How has this affected manufacturing? Rock River Arms almost jumped the river west a few years back, this may/hopefully will be the case now. Just curious...

The way the bill reads many common semi auto shotguns are illegal and several pump actions like the 870 are also considered assault weapons because of the capability to screw on an extended mag tube. Any handgun mag that can be extended also renders the gun it goes in as an assault pistol. 10/22s are also included. It's pathetic. The snow goose and turkey hunters on state lands are committing felonies come 4-10-23 since as of that date phase 2 of the laws that states where they can be possessed kicks in. Registration starts in October.

Last edited:
I would have to seriously consider moving. You have some nice area in southern Illinois and along the river but then controlled by the nut bags in Chicago. Iowa is holding up unless reproductive rights put a democrat in office. They opened a special AR deer season last year. Last midterms we passed an amendment that will ignore unconstitutional federal gun laws. Made me breath easier.

Back