AR15 Accuracy Challenge

Well, as an added bonus, I am hoping to hear and learn some new excuses.
laugh.gif

I think it is a great idea. I would say hold off about a month though to give those with lots of snow time for it to melt. When you do, start a separate post and let the moderator or a director know. We can see about making it a sticky for a while.

Sounds like a plan, I guess that gives everyone some extra time to set up their nail driving AR's.

Probably start after tax day.

OK... hit the range this am to shoot some groups for this post.

My excuses... 1) all my rifles are home-builds using "affordable" parts, no high-dollar barrels or optics;

2) all the ammo used is home-rolled using BASIC reloading techniques, I don't get wrapped around the axel with weighing cases, trimming meplats, or messing with primer pockets. I initially load for 1.5" minimum performance from multiple gas guns, and sometimes will tweak loads for better accuracy concerning a particular rifle, this overall performance suits MY NEEDS just fine as I'm loading for multiple rifles;

3) I have LOTS of various loads with various powders, bullets, primers, I just grabbed random ammo last night for today's fun shoot;

4) Almost all of the shots felt perfect and the time the rifle went off, I only perceived less than perfect form/sight/feel on a couple shots, so, no "called fliers" per se.

The Range: I used an old bench I built about eighteen years ago, it's still holding up. Distance is the required 100 yards. Weather was clear and temp. started at about 61-degrees.

I used two self-made bean bags for rear support. All groups were fire ten rounds at a time. Forgot calipers, had to use a tape measure for reference.

THE RIFLE:

This is a 24" Bull-Barrels AR15 that I've had for over twenty years. Pretty sure the barrel is by Wilson and it came from Model 1 Sales. Scope is a Leupold with fine cross-hair dot set at 20X. Trigger is a Timney 3 lb. This rifle has generally shot just about everything well.

First Load: Sierra 52gr SMK, LC Brass, 26.0grs W-748, Rem BR Primer, COAL is 2.260". This rifle has ALWAYS shot the 52 SMK lights out, it did not disappoint this am.

Second Load: Nosler 50gr BT, R-P Brass, 26.5grs W-748, Rem BR Primer, COAL is 2.260".

Third Load: Sierra 52gr HPBT Match, LC Brass, 26.0grs W-748, Federal AR Match Primer, COAL is 2.260".

Shortly I'll post up a second rifle I shot this am. I'll git the range tomorrow am with another rifle and post the results.

Last edited:
Quote:First Load: Sierra 52gr SMK, LC Brass, 26.0grs W-748, Rem BR Primer, COAL is 2.260". This rifle has ALWAYS shot the 52 SMK lights out, it did not disappoint this am.

Great shooting BH6pt, looks like your 1st groups are going to be hard to beat. You could use that rifle for the future PM egg shoot if weight and scope make the rules.

Looks like BH6pt set the bar high! That’s pretty darn good, didn’t anyone tell you they don’t make accurate ARs?

This rifle I assembled some years ago as well, it features a White Oak Armory 18" SPR barrel, Vortex Viper PST, and Timney trigger. I've shot some really nice 5-shot groups in the past with 69gr SMK's and I thought this morning's group would have been a little smaller.

By now work was getting busy, my concentration was suffering, and the wind was cutting across my contacts making focusing difficult. I might re-shoot this tomorrow as I think I can knock off one or two tenths.

First load- 69gr SMK, 24.0grs Re15 (very hard to find now), Rem BR Primers.

Second load- 77gr SMK, 23.5grs AA2520, Federal AR Match Primers.

2nd group with tape... kind of looks like a flier to the left but that's the other group, didn't realize I covered one of the holes.

I really appreciate it when people state the loads they used. The scope magnification wouId help too. I have some very good loads but they are even better when I put a 24X scope on the rifle. I hunt with a 2X-7X.

Today's contribution to the thread. I planned on shooting two rifles this am but honestly after sixty rounds of concentrated effort, my eyes were not having much more of it.

Again, 95% of the shots felt good with just two maybe that broke when I didn't want them to.

The Rifle:

A home-built featuring a 20" Bead-Blasted SS barrel from DPMS. I think I paid $100 when CDNN was blowing out DPMS stuff a few years ago.

Velocity 3-lb. trigger and Viper PST 4-16x50. YHM Diamond FF HG and standard A2 stock/grip.

ROUND 1- Speer 52gr HPBT Match, 26.0grs W-748, Fed AR Match Primer, LC brass.

ROUND 2- 50gr Nosler BT, 26.5grs W-748, Rem BR Primer, R-P brass.

ROUND 3- 52gr SMK, 26.0grs W-748, Rem BR Primer, LC Brass.

Rock I see a difference between aluminum and Stainless steel mags in one rifle. I usually hunt with 5rd mags and use a marker to remind me which rifle to run them in.

Bowhntr6pt that's some great shooting!

Spotstalkshoot, yeah I normally only use a 20rd mag for hunting and at the range. They're my favorite length for sitting and resting on my knee or laying and resting on a pack, I was deffinetely holding different with the 30rd mag rested on the snow and cold enough it was more of a inhale, exhale, shoot and repeat asap excersize by the end.

I went looking for TSX today but found 3" #4 buck instead.

I'm game on this one. I suppose I'll have to learn how to post pictures as I've always been too lazy to try. I've got to work up a load for some Berger bullets anyhow.

Back