AR15 Accuracy Challenge

Coyotejunki

OK, If the powers that be allow this, I would like to start a challenge. On another board a few years ago there was a challenge similar to this, that is where I got the idea. Years ago on this sight there was a rifle challenge for 5-5shot groups.

1. Basically shoot two targets on the same paper at 100 yards, 10 and only 10 shots per target. All shots count, pulled, flyers, etc.
2. Has to be an AR15 or AR10 type rifle, any caliber/cartridge.
3. Can use a rear and/or front bag, bipod, sticks or offhand if you are that good. No front bench rest.
4. Have to post 3 pictures. Rifle, range, calipers or ruler on target to read center to center measurements. Post each targets measurements and the average of both groups.

This will be on the honor system, no prizes, just bragging rights.

You can do multiple entry's using more than one rifle. I guess I would prefer a hunting setup, but not a requirement.

Anyone want to do this? No deadline set yet. These would be the basic rules, nothing is written in stone so rules can be changed if you all want that. AGAIN this is just for fun.

Something like this for example

J2JnqIGm.jpg

R8tYpWTm.jpg

GpC5toEm.jpg

It might be fun to add in a rough timing with a stop watch also.

I've got to check out my field, I've got a hump at the 50yard line and ive got so much snow now I cant shoot over it from my normal 100yard spot. I just leaned on a board between two fence posts around 95 yards and fired off a splendid 5 shot group with TSX but my beloved 53gr TSX are discontinued and I really want to save them.

I've got a 65SGK/CFE223 load I want to get rid of, they do well in the cold and it looks to me like the copper cleaner in the CFE doesnt work well for storing ammo made of copper... it looks like the lead SP is pulling away from the copper jacket.

Laying prone or a bench I think I could get it done quick and well enough, I can group off a fence post but I would need some resting to do 20 good shots, it would get tough at the end, especially with my 1-4 Leopold.

I've got some hornady 50gr SP plinking ammo I may try also.

Hey 53gr TSX arent discontinued! I just did a search and found some for the first time in 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Rock, I'm in the same boat. Snow almost to the seat on the range bench. Had to lay on top of bench when I switched thermal from bolt gun to AR the other day.

Guys, this is for fun, just bragging rights, so to speak. Lay on the ground, stand on your head, IDK, Laff'n. Just do it safely!
laugh.gif

I was thinking there could also be a separate group for anyone that shoots iron sights, no magnification (no scope).

I don't want to start any controversy about 3 or 5 or 10 shot groups. IMO 10 shots really test the rifle and the person steering it.

We can change it to 1-10 shot group if that is what everyone wants.

Originally Posted By: alf
Why no front rest?

I'd come in last anyway. But without a front rest, I ain't even gonna try. Never shot groups with my one and only AR any other way.

- DAA

I'm headed out now to find a place to set up 100 yards in this snow. I will edit with pics later but my excuses are I'm lying in snow, I ate too many pancakes, I just got back from the gym and I'm winded and shakey, got a breeze today, one of my snowshoes was loose...

And Oof, worst groups I've seen from this ammo.
20230322_191859 by M M, on Flickr

I would get out my calipers if it was worth looking at, 4" for the top group with an 11th shot...... and 2 7/8" for the bottom. I'm 90% sure my confusion with the 11th shot opened the top group up with that far right hit.
20230322_193335 by M M, on Flickr

I should have timed it, I rushed it, and didnt bring gloves because it's a cooking 30 degrees but the wind had my hands freezing while I was waiting to steady heart and breathing from snowshoeing.

I've got other ammo I will try tomorrow, that's going to bug me, I checked my scope two weeks ago and fired a 5 shot clover leaf. It's interesting the top group was a 20rd Pmag with horizontal stringing and the bottom was a 30rd aluminum with vertical string.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI'm headed out now to find a place to set up 100 yards in this snow. I will edit with pics later but my excuses are I'm lying in snow, I ate too many pancakes, I just got back from the gym and I'm winded and shakey, got a breeze today, one of my snowshoes was loose...

Save some excuses for me......

Any Target can be used. Please sign each target with your PM name and date.

You can use a sling, Bipod, shooting sticks, sandbag on the front, just no benchrest type front rest. NO lead sleds, or machine rest may be used.

This is a friendly comp, so you can try more than once if you wish.

If anyone thinks new or added rules need to be made, speak up.

Back