Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 Pro Mount Height Question

TXCOONDOG

After three years of using a Trail XQ38, I bought a Thermion 2 XP50 Pro to mount on a .243 700 Bolt Action. I know it uses 30MM rings but not sure what rings and height I should go with.

In short, not sure if I should go with Seekins Low or med height or if I will need a cantilever mount for eye relief.

Any help from you that have one or similar style, what has worked best for height and eye relief?

I wouldn't go with any less than a 1" tall ring (medium height nightforce). If the rifle is a fairly flat profile from the receiver to the barrel, might even go with a 1.25". It's a fairly big bell on the scope. On AR's (flat tops) we use Bobro's and 1.5" nightforces, which I think are the A419 extra talls.

I have run a Thermion for 3 years now. AR’s and bolt guns. I use the American Defense QD mount. If you pay attention and get eye relief set right you can swap back and forth between the two no problem. Use different zeroing profiles for different guns, and I have had no problems at all maintaining zero even between swaps, as long as I am careful about getting it back in the same slots, slid to the front, and latch the levers in the same order. Not sure which model AD mount it is, but it is the one Outdoor Legacy Gear sells on their website to go with the Thermion. You don’t to have to buy from them but can use the reference. It is a great mount. IMO that mount is the easy button. Great quality, repeatable, no muss no fuss.

American Defense.

The issue I "had" on back up guns was Remington and their short bolt handle...don't care for it.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that it has an EGW pic rail, I use an enlarged bolt knob, sits in a magpul hunter stock and the barrel profile is a varmit profile.

From online pics, it looked like it had a large bell which is what lead me to ask. It will arrive tomorrow so the information everyone posted gives info needed to order the mount.

Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
Here's my setup that I'm running and since I can adjust the stocks LOP to 13", I was able to get good eye relief without worrying about the bell touching the rail:

Using med high seekin rifle rings (already had), EGW pic rail on a .243 trued 700 Remington SS action, Trigger Tech trigger, 20" CBI Remage SS barrel, Magpul Hunter stock and a Texas Silencer Co TI can. Running a 75vmax at 3400FPS (I reload) with a 75 yd zero puts me within an 1" out to 225 yds.

Note: If you don't have an adjustable (LOP) stock and run a pic rail, you will definitely need 1" high rings for your bell to clear a picatinny rail to get proper I relief. You will need a cheek riser too.

I have noticed EGW makes their rail really long in front, it has that little overhang thing that goes out over the barrel. I have never needed that extra length. In fact most times it gets in my way which I am pretty sure is what you are talking about here. So I usually cut it off nice and clean and then cerakote the rail. Since I do my own cerakote that is simple and easy for me.

Being an aluminum rail a person could probably use that aluminum black stuff they sell to touch it up too.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI have noticed EGW makes their rail really long in front, it has that little overhang thing that goes out over the barrel. I have never needed that extra length. In fact most times it gets in my way which I am pretty sure is what you are talking about here. So I usually cut it off nice and clean and then cerakote the rail. Since I do my own cerakote that is simple and easy for me.

Being an aluminum rail a person could probably use that aluminum black stuff they sell to touch it up too.

Yes, the rail protrudes forward further than it needs to. EGW also makes a rail that extends an inch or so at the rear.

Does the AD Recon cantilever mount give enough clearance for the Thermion bell to clear the rail? I assume it was original intended for AR's and will give plenty of height.

The AD Recon is top shelf and exactly what I would run if I ran a Thermion. They are specifically designed with running optics on ARs, have proper cheek weld and a 50mm clears no problem.

I have many of those on daytime rigs on ARs and they are my favorite, very robust, return to zero and American made.

The AD mount works great with the Thermion, whether on a bolt gun or AR. It is what I use, as well as several other guys I know using them on Thermions and Adders.

I ordered the AD QD mount as it gets good reviews for being solid and returns to zero provided its mounted in the same rail slots.

Appreciate it all.

PS: I found a use for that extra inch of rail. I'm going to mount an attachment for a brass catcher as I'm tired of losing my brass in tall grass and/or muddy water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildflights@TXCOONDOG Does the AD QD mount have enough clearance for a brass catcher attachment?
A brass catcher is the reason why I went with a tall set of standard rings.

If my calculation is correct as it works using seekin rifle med high rings. I'm using a Caldwell pic rail brass catcher with picatinny mount and heat resistant mesh model 530143.

I'm waiting on it to arrive as AMAZON is showing a delay and my current deliver date is showing April 14-20th.

Originally Posted By: wildflights@TXCOONDOG Does the AD QD mount have enough clearance for a brass catcher attachment?
A brass catcher is the reason why I went with a tall set of standard rings.

ETA- https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/vortex-pro-series-30mm-rings-extra-high?a=2230531

I received the AD QD Recon mount today and it doesn't have enough clearance to allow the brass catcher to slide on the attachment without hitting the focus adjustment ring on the bell (the cantilever is too close to the rail as well). The rifle rings are the way to go if someone wants to use a picatinny style mounted brass catcher. Of course, using that tall of rings will require a cheek riser too.

I'm running a 700 bolt action in 243 with a Magpul Hunter stock, along with RAR in 450 BM, and I have to use a riser for proper cheek weld so I can see the full screen (Icons).

Sorry, I assumed AR platform when talking brass catchers. I hate chasing and losing brass. Would put a catcher on my bolt if it had a full rail and I could make it work. Did you try sliding the attachment point on the Caldwell to the rear? It might be possible to mount the catcher away from the objective bell and gain clearance that way. All of my Caldwells are set up with the attachment slide to the rear. With the attachment point under the tube or under the eyepiece.

I bought three sets of rings and mounts before settling on the Vortex. The other "tall" rings that I tried had a 1/2" of clearance and wouldn't accommodate the catcher. There is nothing I've found on the market between 1/2" and 7/8" of clearance height under the scope.

Last edited:
Back