Bullet Choice?

LUCKYDOG

I put this in the Hog hunting section but was afraid not too many would see it so I'm putting it here also.

I'm going on a hog hunt on a ranch at the end of the month. I'm bringing my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. I have two choices of bullets in my ammo safe. The first choice is Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 Gr. ELD-X. That particular round shoots the very best out of my Tikka.
My second choice is Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140 Gr BTHP. This round shoots ver good also but not as tight of groups as the ELD-X.

Which round do you guys recommend and will work the very best to bring down the hogs. Thank you!

I don't know what you plan on doing with hogs that are killed, most IMO aren't worth the trouble of butchering. If it were me, I would take both, the ELD-X and the American Gunner and see which worked the best. I would think both bullets will take a hog down, just which one did it best. Sounds like a good opportunity to find out first hand. Main thing is just have fun.

I responded to your question in the hog hunting forum, but will post again here.

No experience with either of those rounds, but my general thinking is to choose a reasonably constructed bullet and do neck or head shots, which generally drop them right there. My last hunt was with a 6.5 Grendel shooting a 100 gr. Sierra HP, head shot and dropped. Another hunt I used 75 gr. Sierra HP’s and head shots which dropped two with a 6x45 at 120 yards. One time I used a .308 with a 130 gr. Barnes TTSX and neck shot, and another with a 7mm STW, 140 gr Barnes TSX neck shot. All hogs dropped right there.

So my takeaway on your question is simply to choose whichever load gives you the most accuracy. My experience proves that you don’t need tough constructed bullets like a TSX to drop hogs, but you do need to put the bullet in the right place. I am sure others who are far more experienced than I am will chime in.

Good luck on your hunt. Keep us informed. We like photos and videos.

My vote is for the ELD-X...your going to want good penetration and I'm not sure the BTHP will get deep enough...might expand too soon...

But I agree with the other guys try both. Since they both have the same POI...run the ELD-X and back it up with the BTHP on the next round...

All target bullets are made with pure lead, hunting bullets have a percentage of antimony to harden them for penetration. Usually, the heavier the hunting bullet, the higher percentage of antimony or other hardening material like a thicker jacket.

If it kills deer it will kill hogs. Most of the hogs I kill are shot with one of my AR rifles and the Federal Fusion MSR 62 gr. bonded core soft point. Base of the ear or through the chest it's a dead hog.

I have used the american gunner on two muley bucks and they are a very very violent round, absolutely would not hesitate to shoot a hog with one.

I would look into some 130s for a hunting bullet also, the added velocity usually makes them flatter and equal to less wind drift until you reach 500 to 600 yards where the 140 and up will be better.

I also suggest a lighter bullet. I use the Hornady 129gr SPT in my 6CM and 6.5x55. Works great on deer in Missouri. How far do you plan to shoot?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI also suggest a lighter bullet. I use the Hornady 129gr SPT in my 6CM and 6.5x55. Works great on deer in Missouri. How far do you plan to shoot?

I really like Hornady 129 grain SSTs in my 6.5x55. At the relatively sedate velocities of the Swede, they work great. I've shot deer, pronghorn, and hogs and rarely recover a bullet. I bet they'd work well in the CM too.

I shoot lots of pigs at night using thermal. Mainly I use a 6.5 Grendel shooting 95 VMAX or 90 TNT. Way less juice than the Creedmore. Sometimes I use a 556 or a 300 HAMR. Put the bullet where it needs to go and pigs are generally pretty easy to kill. Either of the bullets you mentioned will do the job very well. Forced to pick, I would shoot the 143.

Put the bullet in the wrong place and pigs can soak up bullets like a sponge. The wrong place is anywhere behind the shoulder. All the best places are in front of the shoulder, different folks have different opinions on exactly what is best. I prefer in a line straight up the front of the leg, halfway up the neck from top to bottom. Slight quartering to makes it even better. 2" behind the ear hole is really good as well. Even just 2"-3" behind the shoulder is too far back IMO. Sure it can work but usually that is when they start running. Once they start running they usually go a pretty good ways.

All of this is predicated on a nice standing shot. Once they start running precision shots are out the window. I would still rather be missing some by leading too much than just putting bullets in the guts.

This is just my opinion, and opinions vary, as they say.

Back