Reports on hammer bullets.

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
Iv seen these bullets popping up in discussion here and there but I haven't heard much for real reports on them.
For those of you that have tried these projectiles how did they work?
Website says they often don't follow conventional load data but what does that mean? Faster? Slower? Lots of jump? Or jam em tight?
Also quite curious to hear reports on game if anybody has them.

Last edited:
Long Range Hunting has oodles of happy customers, performance wise, as in positive results on meat and ease of load work, and more tolerant of seating. I haven't tried them myself.

Because of less bearing surface engagement, faster than "normal" powders are recommended. Because of less bearing surface, lighter weights, & faster powders, more speed is realized.

I have yet to shoot an animal.
We called Hammer and they recommended loading them like Barnes Bullets.
You want some jump depending on size look on the Barnes site. We are getting up to 200 fps more than a Barnes the same size depending on the powderWe like RL 26. Fricken accurate too I'm getting 3200 fps and one-inch groups at point-blank of 240 yards 200(197) sledgehammer in my 8mmRM.Rem 700. If they do as well as the Barnes counterpart I know most anything I point it at will fold up like a cheap lawn chair.

Hammers shoot! But they are not cheap, which is why you won't see many using them here.

Hammers are generally VERY easy to work up a load. Load ten rounds to find max pressure. Reduce a little from max, shoot a 3 shot group. You're done! Try 2-3 varying groups just under max if you want. Seating depth not very important, I set at 20thou off jam and forget it. Done in less than 20 rounds!

Here's 6.5x47L with 124gr Hammer Hunter (top) and 85gr Hammer Hunter (bottom) worked up as described above at 100 yards (3-shot groups), and verified at 500 yards way under 1/2 moa all the way out.
52387448601_6a65912a3e_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHammers shoot! But they are not cheap, which is why you won't see many using them here.

Hammers are generally VERY easy to work up a load. Load ten rounds to find max pressure. Reduce a little from max, shoot a 3 shot group. You're done! Try 2-3 varying groups just under max if you want. Seating depth not very important, I set at 20thou off jam and forget it. Done in less than 20 rounds!

Here's 6.5x47L with 124gr Hammer Hunter (top) and 85gr Hammer Hunter (bottom) worked up as described above at 100 yards (3-shot groups), and verified at 500 yards way under 1/2 moa all the way out.
52387448601_6a65912a3e_c.jpg

Thats great to hear they are so easy to load! At the price they are it's good to know a guy won't waste a lot on development.
Unfortunate nobody has any real world experience on game. Seems for all the varmint bullets they offer nobody is talking about em for coyotes.

Have you ever used Barnes bullets?
In the nonvarment design that is, They will perform very similarly. The Barnes "pedals" are designed to stay on the base where the hammer they are made to come off and create more wound channels. They will stay together going through heavy bones. Maybe not the best choice for small whitetail at 50 yards going 3000 fps, I would think their varment type will in fact open in a coyote, maybe not in the guts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmanHave you ever used Barnes bullets?
In the nonvarment design that is, They will perform very similarly. The Barnes "pedals" are designed to stay on the base where the hammer they are made to come off and create more wound channels. They will stay together going through heavy bones. Maybe not the best choice for small whitetail at 50 yards going 3000 fps, I would think their varment type will in fact open in a coyote, maybe not in the guts.

Besides varmint grenades I haven't though I do have a box of the regular tsx that won't stabilize in my rifles. I was hoping to maybe try some of the 30-40 gr hammers as they would actually stabilize in my 14 twist rifles.
I do have a friend who has run the tsx and says it's a great coyote bullet though he Likes 2 small holes rather than just 1

Back