Oklahoma Common School lands.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I see there is quite a bit of these lands in Oklahoma, are they open to predator hunting. PM me if you don't want to answer on an open forum.

Last edited:
No they are not open for anyone to use.
They are leased out through a bid every five years.
The person that holds the lease has say on what they allow to happen on the property.
Several of them are leased mainly for hunting and the rest are used for farming or cattle grazing.
Leases are not cheap anymore.

Thanks, in some states school lands are public use. I was just curious as there seemed to be a lot of land in western Okl. in school lands..

The short answer is no…

The longer answer is after Indians were sent here during a period of the trail of tears the US govt. decided to do their thing again. ft Arbuckle was the base of operations where surveyors were deployed to survey the state in accordance to the US public land rectangular system. All the land I hunt today is still defined by that system., unless it has been platted in further detail for urban development. We have township and ranges, their numbers are based off a starting point dividing them north and south known as the Indian meridian and east and west are numbered based off the 98th meridian. It was established from a center point of the Chickasaw nation. Each township and range is divided and numbered into 36 sections, (one section is approx 640 acres-1 sq mile). In each township-range every sections numbered 16 and 32 was designated as areas to build schools for future development.

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftNo they are not open for anyone to use.
The person that holds the lease has say on what they allow to happen on the property.
Several of them are leased mainly for hunting and the rest are used for farming or cattle grazing.

I have a small public hunting area a few miles for me. One of those section is divided that allows public hunting in the SW quarter, the remainder of the section is leased. I have access to private land that borders both. The owners have found yahoos crossing over from the public hunting into their property. It’s mainly a flooded and managed flat for waterfowl hunters and the wardens are real stickers on checking shotguns for lead shot.

I actually have had decent luck hunting that place in the hot summer when it’s mostly dry and vacant of many other hunters

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftNo they are not open for anyone to use.

there's a name i haven't seen in a long, long time. almost 3 years i'd reckon. welcome back.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot[/quote]

there's a name i haven't seen in a long, long time. almost 3 years i'd reckon. welcome back.

Thank you,and I am glad to see you are still here.

Colorado has similar, as do most Western States, known as State Trust Lands.

As in OK, the leaseholder has the near exclusive use of the property while they have the lease.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife leases nearly 1,000,000 acres of State Trust Lands for recreational purposes.

AZ has State Trust lands as well and are posted "no trespassing", but if you have a hunting license you can hunt the land. I've had folks that were grazing cattle try to run me off. Unless the State Trust or AZ game and fish close the area to hunting you can hunt it.

This sometimes lead to conflict. Ranchers leasing the land sometimes lock gates without the authority to do it.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoAZ has State Trust lands as well and are posted "no trespassing", but if you have a hunting license you can hunt the land. I've had folks that were grazing cattle try to run me off. Unless the State Trust or AZ game and fish close the area to hunting you can hunt it.

This sometimes lead to conflict. Ranchers leasing the land sometimes lock gates without the authority to do it.

I see locked gates a lot. Even had an anonymous person call the sheriff on me for hunting State trust in AZ. Once had a rancher reach for a pistol when I informed him it was State trust. Things almost got real bad. A Game warden showed up about almost the same time.

There is a rancher around the Wilcox area that has a helicopter. I am told he threatens people often. Too bad the Law Officers don't put an end to such BS.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 220_SwiftNo they are not open for anyone to use.

I was thinking the same thing !

Hello !

Last edited:
New Mexico state trust land is much like AZ you have to have a license for a in season game animal to hunt it. Folks here also doont understand their leases. As I understand it they only have a grazing lease not full controll.of the property. There are some complete.control leases but they are uncommon and clearly maked on maps.

Back