Baiting

Good job, Paul.

Glad you joined in, TPC. A lot of guys here have been baiting for quite a while too. I have been at it since 2011. Do you hunt from a blind?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpNice going Paul, looks like another tracking job for the lab. I'm sure it didn't go far.
Owen that was the shot from Monday night, I didn't think he went far but taking the dog eliminates me even having to look. Had another one come in last night but kept my phone off to get some sleep and keep the peace.

I had another visitor a couple nights ago. #11 for 2023. That has been by far the most coyotes I've had on my property in this short of a time window.

I didn't have fresh bait out, but I've shot a couple other coyotes in the same location in the past month. It might have smelled their blood, or my neighbor's dog's urine in the area, or remnants from old bait (cat food).

TPC: welcome here as well! I enjoy watching your thermal hunting videos.

This is a little video of a calling session a couple weeks ago. Not baiting, but due to the lack of activity on my bait, thought I would throw this out. My hunting partner and I did the 3 - count for a simultanious double. Approximately 110 yds. Both .22-250, his 50 gr vmax and mine 50 gr NBT. Fun night.
This first short video is from my AGM Taipan scanner of the long approach of the coyotes.

Scanner:
https://vimeo.com/810585387

Double:
https://vimeo.com/810583790

In line with our discussion on baiting set ups we use and a little insight to our perspectives and what we see, here are a few pics of my operation. I do have to step out onto the porch to shoot. I built this bench several years ago, and it is a permanent fixture on the porch
smile.gif
My two sites are down hill and 130 yds and 170 yds from my bench. The sites are circled in blue. The 130 yd site is on my pond dike, and the 170 yd is just above it up in the timber.
Keeping these shooting zones open are a royal pain. You will have limbs encroach into the zone. When you go to the base of the tree to trim them, they are 30 - 40 ft in the air LOL!

image000000 by jrhranch, on Flickr

image000002 by jrhranch, on Flickr

image000001 by jrhranch, on Flickr

Super cool setup Baitpile. I really like those front rests with the innertube. I have not seen that before. As to trimming high branches, I use a pruner load of an ounce and a quarter of 7-1/2's.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsSuper cool setup Baitpile. I really like those front rests with the innertube. I have not seen that before. As to trimming high branches, I use a pruner load of an ounce and a quarter of 7-1/2's.

Yeah, the inner tubes were my answer to something I could leave out in the weather 24/7. Couldn't really leave bags or a rest out there, so came up with those. Work great.
As far as pruning, may have to try that, but I have some pretty big limbs...

I also use some equipment, others may not. sled for hauling bait and coyote
sM0ow18s.jpg
scGkVG8s.jpg
and spotting scope for scouting bait and calling locations, little over 3/4 mile to these coyote Meopta spotting/phone

Bait, thanks for sharing your setup. The shooting rest is plum simple but good. I never would have thought about that kind of rest. It’s stuff like this where we all can learn and get ideas. You have a great bait area, but I‘m sure the pruning part is a pain. Do you have any issues with coyotes seeing or hearing you when you go out onto the porch?

Spot, that sled is a life saver no doubt.

CT, you sure dropped that one on the spot. Is your sensor at the bait and angled toward where the coyote approached from, or is it covering a trail before they get yo the bait?

Well, last night I had some activity at the bait. A coyote came and went three different times. It first showed up around 10:00 PM, left and returned around 3:00 AM, stayed a while this time, left again and then returned after 6:00 AM. I didn’t have any fresh bait, just what’s left of a deer carcass. Is nothing but a small piece of skin and bones, but the coyote liked it. It has now been 35 days since I have seen a coyote, and 45 days since my last kill. So, I am at the shack tonight. Looks like this may be my last chance for a few days due to other obligations and rain, and I will end my season this month. I am settled in, warm and comfortable. Just finished a can of Vienna Sausage, crackers and hot cup of coffee. This coyote hunting is hard work.

Thanks Spot, same to you. Maybe we will put some coyotes down tonight. Grapes sound good. I have a can of peaches that I will open in a bit.

Bait, I forgot to ask. Which AGM Taipan do you have? I recently purchased the Taipan TM10 256. The resolution is not quite as good as my 384 rifle scopes, but it still is pretty good for the ranges I will use it.

No, I have never been compromised stepping out onto the porch. Quiet of course, like getting out of a vehicle at a calling set, but no, it has worked well for many many years.
You and Spot are killing me here, heading out to a blind, a few snacks...paradise!! My blind is my house, but gotta say, as nice as that may be most of the time, it sure is nice to get out! A change of scenery so to speak. Good luck to you both, keep us posted.

06, I got the TM 19-384. Awesome addition to the arsenal. I use it several times a night checking on nuisance alarms and just scanning the area.

Thanks, Bait. I debated for a while about a monocular and watched YouTube videos until I about went blind, searching for one that would work well enough, and without breaking my wallet. Basically all I need for hog hunting, or in the event that I do some coyote calling, is to see well enough to know a critter is out there, then transition to the rifle. Last night I watched 5 deer at a distance of about 100 yards with ease, and could easily tell they were deer.

Later last night I used the monocular to help my wife find a couple of chickens that didn’t go to roost. This little monocular will work great for security around the house too. The question I had in my mind was if the 256 model would be clear enough. It works better than I expected, especially for my purpose. As to not breaking my wallet, I got it for less than $500. The next step up to a 384 is $1100. Big difference in price, but the 256 is no slouch. Your model is clearer for sure.

As to getting out at the shack, it really is a pleasure. It’s quiet here and peaceful. A little solitude is nice sometimes. It’s more like camping, but with more luxury.

Back