Savage axis bolt won't open

Rhett Steele

My boy has an axis. When first shooting cheap ball ammo it worked fine. Shooting factory winchester varmint loads the bolt will open and not go back to eject, needs tapped with a mallot. I worked up some loads with it and the same thing happens. Called savage and they say send it in.
I'm looking for suggestions to avoid the hassle of sending it off. Any suggestions?

The bolt opens somewhat but needs a hammer to be all the way opened?

Or the bolt can be lifted but it needs to be tapped open with a hammer?

Originally Posted By: Rhett Steele...When first shooting cheap ball ammo it worked fine. Shooting factory winchester varmint loads the bolt will open and not go back to eject, needs tapped with a mallot. I worked up some loads with it and the same thing happens...

This first place I'd look is to mic the neck on a loaded round of the ball ammo that cycled fine and the factory varmint loads, especially if you shot one of each for a couple repetitions with consist results. I would then see if there is a difference in fired round neck diameters for each factory load. There may be a neck clearance issue on fired brass from the latter.

Let us know, Dale

Last edited:
First thing I'd do is take a tight brush, wrap.a.little OOOO steel wool around it, spray WD-40 on it and spin it in the chamber and neck and clean thee heck out of them.

Some of the cheap ball ammo might have left residue in the chamber or neck.

Last edited:
Armscor coal 2.230 loaded mouth .249 fired mouth .255 fired brass length 1.754

Win coal 2.219 load mouth .246 fire mouth .256 fire brass 1.763

Fired brass of win ejection is sticky, armscor fired brass cycles fine. Thinking about trimming brass back a bit and trying, and checking to see if that helps.

Length is probably not the issue. If it's a difference in the brass, my money is on the web diameter. With the Win. probably being larger diameter at the head/web than the Armscor. If, that is the difference and the reason the Win. stuff is sticking though, and it's within spec, I probably would end up sending the rifle back.

- DAA

Back