Jumping in to the 6mm cm

Rotty

Going to be jumping into the 6mm creedmoor soon, what are your prefered loads?
I will be shooting an AR10 with a 20" bbl

I just bought a Ruger American in 6mm Creedmoor, I have to hunt with lead free bullets. If I could hunt coyotes with lead bullets I would try the 75 gr V-Max bullets because they worked great for me in my 243 Win when I could use lead bullets.

According to the Honady data it looks like you can get 3400 to 3500 fps with just under MAX loads with the 75 gr V-Max bullets.

The only load I have shot so far in my 6 mm Creedmoor is with a 55 gr Nosler lead free varmint bullet and it shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards. This load is with Varget powder at 2.6 gr below MAX pressure for the 58 gr V-Max bullet. It looks like this load would be close to 3600 fps.

I am going to load up some Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades at around 3400 fps to 3500 fps to see how they group. This would be right at 4.0 gr below Max for the 65 gr V-Max bullets, using Varget powder. The 62 gr Varmint Grenade bullets worked good on coyotes for me in my AR-15 243 WSSM that I had.

For deer hunting I am going to load the Barnes 95 gr LRX BT bullets. The MAX load that Barnes shows for this bullet is 3167 fps with H4350 powder.

My 6CM is a bolt gun with a Proof Research 20in 9tw barrel, not a gas gun. I'm shooting 70gr Nosler BT's with 44gr RL16 and it shoots crazy good with that combo.

You are going to be entering a world of brass destruction.

Consider a Tubbs spring coupled with a rifle buffer. Also an adjustable gas block, and the fastest powder you can get away with using. If you go the heavy for caliber bullet/slow burning powder combo the caliber was designed for, you will destroy brass every time you pull the trigger.

It seems there is a good chance it will run good with real light bullets, a faster powder and staying away from the red-line.

Kooman on here shoots 243. I wonder if he will chime in here on brass life and the does and doughnuts?

I have an AR-308. It is a brass wrecker when you tip the powder jug. Seems others out there have had good luck when using the small primer brass cases in 308. I have heard of it in 6.5CM.

Small primer brass may be something to consider?

Adjustable gas is a must and no brainer imo, fast powders aren't necessary. I've shot thousands of 243's through an AR with H4350 and never destroyed brass. I've got some Lapua 243 brass that's over 20 years old and I've lost count of how many times it's been loaded. The headstamp is pretty much worn off. I use it in my day gun and some Fiochi brass in the night gun. Make a little cloth brass catcher so you don't lose brass in the field.

I'm a big fan of 87 vmaxes and 87 bthp, but anything you choose is going to kill coyotes as dead as they need to be. Try a few and let the rifle choose.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAdjustable gas is a must and no brainer imo, fast powders aren't necessary. I've shot thousands of 243's through an AR with H4350 and never destroyed brass. I've got some Lapua 243 brass that's over 20 years old and I've lost count of how many times it's been loaded. The headstamp is pretty much worn off. I use it in my day gun and some Fiochi brass in the night gun. Make a little cloth brass catcher so you don't lose brass in the field.

I'm a big fan of 87 vmaxes and 87 bthp, but anything you choose is going to kill coyotes as dead as they need to be. Try a few and let the rifle choose.

Totally agree. With the 243 almost every bullet spells quick and sure death to a coyote. While I don't shoot the 87g Vmax, I have found that the 85-90g class of bullet is my preference for both my 243s. For my purposes that weight class is perfection in the 243. I have never tried the 87g Vmax for hunting. I think I have some that I just shot paper with. I might load some up give them a go out in the field.

Edit to Add: Sorry. I have no experience with the 6mm CM. I would love to try one out, but...

Last edited:
That is nice to know that you don't have a problem with brass!

Know i am considering one!

I did not get an adjustable gas block with my 308. Brass has had a hard life since day one.

Know i want a 243 or a 6.5C barrel to try.

The 6mm Creed won't be fussy, they tend to shoot everything well. H4350 is popular, also H4831sc, RL16, RL26, IMR 4831, N560...

As for bullets, I tend to shoot heavier for caliber bullets that jive nicely with the 7.7 twist. I shot a few coyotes with the 105gr Amax and it worked well, made a big hole but killed good. Now that I am out of those, I am going to work up a load for the Sierra 100gr Tipped Gameking. Should be a good dual purpose deer / predator bullet. I'll probably start with RL26 as I have a lot of it on hand

Great cartridge!

I don't have any problem with brass in my .243 Win. I load the Barnes 80 gr TTSX bullet and am extremely happy with that bullet and performance.

I guess it all depends on your intended target(s). I have plenty of 22 caliber varmint rifles so my intentions of setting up my .243 was for Antelope and Deer size game. It will do a fine job on coyotes but I typically don't use it for those trips. For that I typically use my 220 Swift or 17 Rem.

All I run for coyotes anymore are 6creeds. These days finding a bullet you like and can actually get is the hardest part. I run varget with 70gr and under bullets and have been running staball 6.5 with the heavier stuff. Currently out of stock on the Nosler 70’s I have always run but am playing with 87vmax and Sierra 90TGK’s now. 6creed is easy to load for and you can push it faster than a 243 in most cases.

For bigger game using the 6mm Creedmoor Hornady and Nosler both make CX and E-Tip 90 gr bullets and Barnes makes the 95 gr LRX bullet. All three of these bullets should give good penetration on bigger animals.

Last edited:
I have a 24” 6 creedmoor bolt. I’ve been shooting 108 ELDMs out of it. They shoot really well. It’s our Antelope gun. Have shot a few coyotes with it and it lays them out. But not for friendly

Back