Territorial Dispute

DoubleUp

We located this group of coyotes the previous night, but didn't have time to go after them. We slipped into their zone last night and challenged them for their territory and hunting rights. This big male didn't like that so we settled the dispute with him at 115 yds. The 223 and 50 gr. v-max won.

Although I included it in the video, I thought you guys might like a look at our new hunting vehicle. It is one of those Japanese delivery trucks that can be importeed after they are 25 years old. Four wheel drive and gets about 40 miles to the gallon. My hunting partner has made it into a nice little hunting rig for close range work.

IMG_20230319_193149050_HDR by Double Up, on Flickr

IMG_20230319_193129118_HDR by Double Up, on Flickr

Awesome tip...a lot of callers won't use challenge howls and barks for fear of spooking other coyotes.

That footage really shows some great behavior that many callers never see.

Congrats on the hunt, I gotta say I'm a huge fan of the Japanese mini trucks and I also intend to buy one! I have a dealer about 25 minutes from me and I drove several different models. The make a "deck van" that I think fits my needs the best as it has way more room and a small bed to haul coyotes or deer in.

Thanks for the vid. Never heard of those trucks or that import rule. Kinda neat looking—40mpg and out of the weather

Thanks guys! The truck is a little tight for me at 6 ft. but we're not having to ride an hour in it. Feels strange though since the steering and controls are on the right side. I keep glancing up in the rear view mirror and it spooks me out since I'm not seeing behind us.

Originally Posted By: TPCI use the classic “Hey” to stop um too!! Nice job!

It's interesting to see their reactions to different stop sounds. I've used barks, howls, kisses and I've gotten different reactions.

Nice video and I like seeing people rigs/setups. That little delivery truck is way cool. But I see that narrow wheel track that might not match normal ruts, (maybe not, but it looks it in the pictures? I would be interested to know) and fairly low ground clearance and I think out in our area it would bury down in the sugar sand pretty quick. IDK, maybe I would be wrong on that. But a neat rig that looks like it works great for you guys.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXNice video and I like seeing people rigs/setups. That little delivery truck is way cool. But I see that narrow wheel track that might not match normal ruts, (maybe not, but it looks it in the pictures? I would be interested to know) and fairly low ground clearance and I think out in our area it would bury down in the sugar sand pretty quick. IDK, maybe I would be wrong on that. But a neat rig that looks like it works great for you guys.

I blew an hour yesterday going down the mini truck rat hole. There is a place that offers them with a lift kit, fancy wheels, and knobby tires.

Pretty cool looking, and should help you getting stuck a little further back....

I remember seeing those kinds of trucks and Minivans when I was on Okinawa, 1981-2. Years Before Lee Iacocca said he invented the minivan.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: JTPinTXNice video and I like seeing people rigs/setups. That little delivery truck is way cool. But I see that narrow wheel track that might not match normal ruts, (maybe not, but it looks it in the pictures? I would be interested to know) and fairly low ground clearance and I think out in our area it would bury down in the sugar sand pretty quick. IDK, maybe I would be wrong on that. But a neat rig that looks like it works great for you guys.

I blew an hour yesterday going down the mini truck rat hole. There is a place that offers them with a lift kit, fancy wheels, and knobby tires.

Pretty cool looking, and should help you getting stuck a little further back....

OK, lol, for someone who went down the rat hole of tricked out Japanese mini trucks, ballpark what are we looking at? Std vs all the bells and whistles? Of course my standard answer is usually spend as little as possible then do the work myself. Which normally ends up costing me more. And I know I'm not the only one who does that.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXOriginally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: JTPinTXNice video and I like seeing people rigs/setups. That little delivery truck is way cool. But I see that narrow wheel track that might not match normal ruts, (maybe not, but it looks it in the pictures? I would be interested to know) and fairly low ground clearance and I think out in our area it would bury down in the sugar sand pretty quick. IDK, maybe I would be wrong on that. But a neat rig that looks like it works great for you guys.

OK, lol, for someone who went down the rat hole of tricked out Japanese mini trucks, ballpark what are we looking at? Std vs all the bells and whistles? Of course my standard answer is usually spend as little as possible then do the work myself. Which normally ends up costing me more. And I know I'm not the only one who does that.

I fell into the hole again looking for the dealer that sells them either way, stock or lifted.....

There are kits available for DIY guys too. And accessories as much as your imagination and pocketbook can stand.

https://www.americasminitruckcenter.com/trucks/custom-truck-gallery

Just google jap mini trucks and lift kits for mini trucks. Fill up the coffee mug before hand......

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXNice video and I like seeing people rigs/setups. That little delivery truck is way cool. But I see that narrow wheel track that might not match normal ruts, (maybe not, but it looks it in the pictures? I would be interested to know) and fairly low ground clearance and I think out in our area it would bury down in the sugar sand pretty quick. IDK, maybe I would be wrong on that. But a neat rig that looks like it works great for you guys.

The deck van I drove was a Toyota Hijet 21' model, had 10k kilometers, loaded up nice and he wanted $22000 for it. IMO its a WAY more bang for your buck vs a side by side. Full automotive cab, air conditioning, heater, sat radio, cruise control, power windows and locks, automatic transmission, 4wd and LOCKING DIFFERENTIALS!!

We can license them here and they can be driven on any road with a 60mph or less speed limit. I think the new ones get around 55mpg!!

If I loved out west with hundreds of miles of backroads out your backdoor it would probably be my choice for a coyote rig.

I'll eventually get one, right now I'm selling/upgrading some things, trying to order and decide between a new Tacoma or Colorado ZR2, decisions decisions!

It fits our style of hunting quite well since we're mostly within 20 miles of home and drive on field roads and timber roads. Even in roads that are rutted somewhat, the narrower wheel base allows us to split the tracks often times without hitting the holes. We generally drive within about a mile of our stand and then ride the Razors on in quietly.

Back