Ever called a coyote in with your voice?

OKRattler

This happened back in November and I meant to talk about it before now but hadn't gotten around to it. My buddy and I had just gotten out of the truck and we're heading to the spot where we planned on calling and heard a coyote barking. It was pretty close so I told him we may get one killed before we even turn the call on. We get to where we can see and spotted the coyote on a hillside. I told my buddy to range find it and he held up his invisible range finder and said "300". I said "You didn't bring the range finder?" He said "No, why didn't you get it?" So we're arguing over who should have got it as quietly as possible. He finally said "Just shut up and kill that thing man."

We're in a spot where there are several smaller hills between us and the coyote so it was a bit deceiving. We finally agreed the coyote really was around 300 yards. Maybe a little further. So I put the crosshairs right on top of his head and squeeze the trigger. I saw the bullet kick up sand right behind it. Right between its ears. The coyote takes off but isn't going like I thought it wouldn't stop again so I'm barking over and over trying to get it to stop. I'm watching that coyote and my buddy says "Right here,right here! It's coming!" I'm confused so I say "Like [beeep] he is he's running off." He said "A different one, he's running to us." I look over my scope in time to see the one he saw run under a 5 strand barbed wire fence 130 yards away. Immediately it sees one of us move and takes off. I never got a shot at it. My buddy said "Dude I saw that coyote about the time you shot and it looked around. When you started barking it perked up and ran towards us." That was a first for me. We called that spot even after all that and ended up calling in a mangey coyote at about the 23 minute mark. That one got shot three times.

Last edited:
All I can figure is it was a young coyote and that first one barking had it all stirred up. Wish I'd have seen it and shot it instead of the one on the hill. We ended up seeing at least 4 coyotes there. My buddy saw another but he wasn't sure if it was one of the others and he just counted it again. So there was possibly 5 there. But 4 for sure.

I didn't put any thought into it at the time but the imaginary range finder my buddy had was pretty funny. He's always doing stuff like that so obviously I thought he was jacking around when he said another one was coming. I thought he was making fun of me for missing honestly.

That day we ended up killin 6,hit 1 and it ran off and missed 2. Wasn't a bad day over all but it definitely could have been better.

Last edited:
Not me personally. Many years ago there was a DVD called predator termination time i think. I believe it was produced by Tim Wells aka the slock master. Thats all he used was his voice to make rabbits distress sounds.

Originally Posted By: crapshootNot me personally. Many years ago there was a DVD called predator termination time i think. I believe it was produced by Tim Wells aka the slock master. Thats all he used was his voice to make rabbits distress sounds.
That Tim Wells is on a different level. That guy's good.

I can make rabbit noises with my voice but only do it to make my dogs look at me like they're confused. I haven't tried to call coyotes in like that because it makes me feel dumb. I don't know who'd know except me and the coyotes but I use a call instead.lol

I guess if I was successful y'all would know. I just don't have that much confidence in the rabbit noises I make with my voice. Apparently I can bark pretty good so you never know. Might work.

Last edited:
I have called coyotes with lip squeaks but I don't know if that counts.
One coyote I did call with just an attempted "mwahhhh uaahhhh" rabbit squeal with my voice. He didn't come in super fast so I'm going to guess it was just curiosity.
Whats a lot cooler is I have called elk with my voice!

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerI have called coyotes with lip squeaks but I don't know if that counts.
One coyote I did call with just an attempted "mwahhhh uaahhhh" rabbit squeal with my voice. He didn't come in super fast so I'm going to guess it was just curiosity.
Whats a lot cooler is I have called elk with my voice!

I think curiosity gets quite a few coyotes killed even when calling with an electric call. We'll count it. You called one in with your voice.

I've called in quite a few coyotes and one mountain lion all with my voice. I can do a pretty good distress sound that I would guess is pretty close to an adult deer.

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleJust lip squeaks

Same. A memorable one... A few years ago I was hunting elk with my dad and brother. I killed a bull early in the season, but wanted to help them get theirs. I offered to help push some thick timber hoping to get one out of bed and move it their direction. No way was I going to just walk though, so I took along my coyote rifle thinking I could watch for a coyote on the way. I didn't want to make too much racket, so calls were out. But about every 300 yards or so I would stop and "kiss" the back of my hand for a few minutes. About half way through the hike I had one trot right in and take bullet one on if these "stands."

Originally Posted By: Cal TaylorI've called in quite a few coyotes and one mountain lion all with my voice. I can do a pretty good distress sound that I would guess is pretty close to an adult deer.

You win. Most people never even get to call in a mountain lion with any kind of call. That's just plain awesome.

Originally Posted By: jnormanWith a blade of grass pinched vertically tight between my thumbs.

I've tried it. I didn't know what I was doing, it just made a noise like air blowing between my thumbs.

There was once I called in a coyote that I saw by just making distress sounds with my voice. I won't call them rabbit sounds because they didn't sound much like any rabbit I ever heard, but whatever sound it was supposed to be, it sounded it needed to be put out of its misery for sure. Maybe that coyote had got dropped on its head when it was young.

While out thermal hunting at night I have called quite a few up using nothing but lip squeaks. There are quite a few times we will get to a field we want to hunt and there may be a coyote out there 300-500 yards away, already there. We come in quiet and blacked out so they usually don't know we are there. Those times instead of getting out a call I just start of lip squeaking and it is surprising how many of those I can get to roll in with nothing else. Seems like they come in pretty hard lots of times too.

I have turned around a coyote that was leaving before by using voice howls/vocals. It didn't sound good to me but it worked.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXThere was once I called in a coyote that I saw by just making distress sounds with my voice. I won't call them rabbit sounds because they didn't sound much like any rabbit I ever heard, but whatever sound it was supposed to be, it sounded it needed to be put out of its misery for sure. Maybe that coyote had got dropped on its head when it was young.

While out thermal hunting at night I have called quite a few up using nothing but lip squeaks. There are quite a few times we will get to a field we want to hunt and there may be a coyote out there 300-500 yards away, already there. We come in quiet and blacked out so they usually don't know we are there. Those times instead of getting out a call I just start of lip squeaking and it is surprising how many of those I can get to roll in with nothing else. Seems like they come in pretty hard lots of times too.

I have turned around a coyote that was leaving before by using voice howls/vocals. It didn't sound good to me but it worked.

I've lip smooched a few in. I've done it quite a few times to badgers to get them further out of their hole so I could shoot them in the neck or chest. They're a lot more curious than a coyote is.

One of the coolest things I ever did. We used to live in an apartment complex that backed up to a pretty extensive hay field that we always heard coyotes in at night. One day my son and I were walking out to the truck to go somewhere(can’t remember where) during the middle of the day. When a coyote that was a good 200-250yds away let out an interrogation howl. Now keep in mind that my eyes went straight to the coyote and I could see him plain as day, but he was looking at something off in another direction. Then a bright idea hit my dull brain. At this time my son had not been out calling yet and didn’t really know how it was done. The setup was perfect because the wing was blowing from him to us, and there was a fence between him and us that would have prevented him from getting behind us. Using the truck as cover, my son and I snuck to bed of the truck, keeping the truck between us and the coyote. I told Hogan “Be real still, and real quiet. And keep your eyes on that coyote”. I started lip squeaking which probably made Hogan wonder if his dad had gone crazy or not. Over the course of about 10 minutes that coyote meandered over towards us, and at one point Hogan got nervous and said “dad he’s getting close” real softly. That almost made me laugh out loud when he said that. Long story short, I lip squeaked that coyote to literally about 2 feet from the rear bumper, and less than 7 feet from where we were standing.

I howled one in one spring evening. Out checking cows with my first AR; had the itch to try it on a coyote, but had forgot any calls. Parked the atv in a draw walked up the hill a few hundred yards voice howled a couple times and got an answer from about 3/4 mile out. I tried to echo whatever it did over the next 10 minutes and shot her at about 125 yards. Watched her coming in for the last 600 yards. She would stop every now and then and bark or howl, and I just copycatted her as best I could. Took more air than I care to use on a regular basis, and my voice was pretty hoarse sounding the next morning, but it was sure memorable and a lot of fun.

I was at a small wastewater treatment plant and as I was leaving I spotted some tiny pups in one of the dry settling ponds. I got out and they scattered, all but one. I called him with the "Here poochie, poochie" routine and it came running to me doing the little dog wiggle all the way. At about 5 feet it dawned on him "bad idea" and ran off. He was such a cute little ball of fur and why I can't kill pups or nursing females.

Back