For fun, what is your best shot you have made?

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisMy longest kill shot at night with my Infiray Rico - 428 yards
Bergara Ridgeback series 6mm Creedmor, 7” Ultra can, 87 Grain Hornady Varmint express

My longest shot on a day Coyote is 928 yards, didn’t anchor this coyote, we watched him spin, lay down, get up and then walked over a ridge.
Christensen Arms MPR 6mm Creedmoor, Ultra 9 Suppressor, Nightforce ATCR, Hornady Varmint Express 87 grain.

*Not a confirmed kill, a confirmed hit.

That's still a heck of a shot...

Thank you;-)

we were cleaning out deer blinds in the fall some years back. only had my xd-40 on me. we were clearing out a nest in one, when a fox squirrel came barreling out at full speed and headed up the inside wall. i hopped outside and bangged on the wall which sent him out the roof soffets into a nearby tree.

i pulled my .40 and my cousin grabbed his 9mm about the same time.... i ejected him out of the tree at a full-blown-panic-speed-squirly-dash on the 4th squeeze. squirrel soup for dinner, yum!

friend of the family that has some property we shoot on likes to make "challenges" at random for us when we're out there... just because he enjoys watching us(usually me and my cousin) do things like that.... for example "i bet you cant hit that stump" - downhill about 60+ feet and 150 yds out. with your pistol. or seeing if we can hit a popcan 50-60 yds out while riding passenger in his golf cart. again with a pistol. good times
smile.gif

770 yard coyote..53 vmax out of my RRA. dialed for elevation, held zero wind first shot, saw my splash made correction and immediately sent the 2nd..impact...

In Minnesota you dont get much opportunity for long range hunting shots. But my personal favorite was shooting two pheasant in under a second with my Browning pump and a full choke, and my cousin got it on go pro. They asked before hand why a full choke and I said I just shoot for the head and that second birds head went a flying. It was just a family thing and a game preserve with farm birds mostly to get the young dogs out.

It's at 1:35 and slow mo replay follows

It doesnt look like my video post is working.

One of my other bests was with a bow, it's one of my least favorite hunting memories but I threaded a needle when chips were on the table. My buddy made a crap shot like normal and hit a deer in the front leg, he is blind as a bat so he didnt think the shot was as bad as it was. Three of us waited an hour then started tracking and tracking then dry blood turned back to wet blood and I knew it was alive and we were pushing it. We waited another hour then I went after it alone, I ended up close and pushing it out of a thicket and it ran up a small hill and jumped down onto a state forest dirt path and broke it's one good front leg, I felt horrible and I saw it hobble across the road and into the far ditch and stop. I was able to take a few steps to try to get a clear shot but this was early bow season in a MN state forest. I could see it's small 6pt rack sticking up above grass and just the top of the head so I went for a shot, it was around 40 yards and I snuck the arrow through a bush, between some grass, hit perfect and the arrow came out the deer's mouth...

Middle of no where wisconsin bow season, tracking another wounded deer dingle nuts shot, that buck got away pretty ok, I tracked it until I saw it run through a guys back yard and into a bean field. As I was walking out alone in pitch black(sneaking through areas I shouldn't be in so I was without a light!) and I nearly stepped on another wounded deer, but it was a doe someone else shot. Pitch black and I dont know where I am, tracked it across a large area, dropped off because my buddy is a coward and we are so far from where we were originally and the bushes I'm next to are coming unglued. I dont really handgun train or anything but I had my .40 out and streamlight on faster than I could think, I saw the wound and the deers condition as she got up so I didnt let her run off, one shot to the head and we ended up with venison anyways. That was just spur of the moment holy crap.

All of mine would probably be jackrabbits with a .22. A few runners over 200 yards, a few sitters over 300, offhand with a .22LR. I think of them as my luckiest shots, more than the best. Certainly they were the least likely to connect. But I've burned way more than ten thousand rounds of .22LR shooting at jackrabbits. Stands to reason I'd get lucky on a few.

- DAA

"As long as there is lead in the air there is hope in the heart."

Like Borkon said those of us who have been putting lots of lead in the air for many years have seen a thing or two.

Way back in the day when I was in my mid twenties I dumped a whole chunk of my disposable income (and some that wasn't) on a Rem 40-XBKS in 220 Swift. I loved that gun and shot it a lot. Me, a good friend of mine and one of his buddies I didn't really know were driving a big ranch calling coyotes. My buddy had been talking smack about how I could shoot a rifle. We see a coyote trotting through the mesquites about 550 yards out. My buddy stops the truck, I throw the Swift over the hood, and first shot roll that coyote up, still trotting. I just got right back in the truck and didn't say a word just, like I did that every day of my life. I was just happy I didn't miss by 5 feet. That was in the days waaaay before dialing for me. Just straight up kentucky elevation and windage, pure luck.

I think most shots that we make that are bragging shots have a fair amount of luck to them. They may be based in skill, equipment, and abilities but still have that unknown factor.

One shot I really like that I feel had quite a bit of skill base to it was about 6-7 years ago. One day I was out calling in the snow. Beautiful still day, soft snow, 4-5 inches of it. Shooting a 220 Swift again (not the old XBKS, that had long since been rebarreled by then, but a Savage with a Shilen barrel). It was a very accurate rifle and was dead on at 200. A pair comes in and I bust the first one out around 135. The second runs off, goes under a fence, and over a little hump. It stopped at 275 and looked back. He was over the hump and just the top part of his head sticking up Also right behind the fence post, the post was covering part of his face. I had maybe a 1 1/2"x3" target to shoot at, just the top of his head. That 220 opened his head like a canoe, just above the right eye, pretty much exactly where I had the crosshairs. I had a really good day calling that day, one reason I remember it so well.

I posted that story here on PM, and a picture of the coyotes in the back of the truck. But then I got a notice it was probably a little too graphic and violated the TOS, so I swapped pictures to one not so bad, lol.

Back