22 Cal V Max Bullets

I haven't checked velocity yet, just shot for groups this time. 26.5 grs just about fills the case. Pretty sure Varget gets less pressure than Benchmark or imr 8208, close in practical spd, guessing, looking at hodgdons website.

6qlvTLXl.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jpr423I’ve built a new rig for Coyotes and Cats, a 22-250 with an 18” 1-12 twist. I’ve shot both the 55 grain and 50 grain factory V Maxes with good luck but I see more and more about how everyone prefers the 53 grain, mainly due to the BC I believe?

For Coyotes and Cats inside 400, is it worth it?

We've also had good luck with the 50's. I've used the 55's and the 60's as well.

I did purchase a bunch of 53's to test out, and on one of these windy days I'm going to try and load up 10 of each, with the same Rifle and see what the full value wind drift is at 400, as well as the drop between them. While trying to keep the same charge of powder for all of the loads.

I shoot the 50's a lot although I have used both the 55's and 60's. Just a point of clarification, someone mentioned in an earlier post that the 50's were flat based. That is not correct. The 55's and 60's are, but the 50's are boattail.

I'm not a vmax fan, I wont hunt with them anymore, vmaxs on a less than ideal angle have lead to lots of runners and pelt damage. I've seen angled coyote shoulders deflect 53vmax away from vitals at 30 yards.

65 Sierra Game King, any SGK, are a far superior hunting bullet unless you're trying to explode small rodents, SGK will be reliable in all real world hunting scenarios and save more fur. I've had vmax splash on entrance, tear hole on exits, God-knows-what and perfect pinhole entrance no exit DRT. Every range, angle and shot placement is going to affect terminal performance, a good hunting bullet penetrates everytime and does the same thing everytime.

Recently I HBN lubed 53gr TSX and I've got them screaming fast and accurate with a ridiculous charge of H322, plus they will penetrate 10inches of wet oak, no splashing.

I swear MN coyotes are just big boned.

I've said for Years. People buy VMax bullets because they are the cheapest and tend to be accurate.

For killing coyotes, there are WAY BETTER choices.
Coyotes aint prairie dogs.

Let's ask the guys that kill coyotes for a living (unsponsered) if they use them.
Or the guys that (used too love this) guys that hunt tournaments where decent $$ was involved.

Simply put, there are just so many better bullets.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI shoot the 50's a lot although I have used both the 55's and 60's. Just a point of clarification, someone mentioned in an earlier post that the 50's were flat based. That is not correct. The 55's and 60's are, but the 50's are boattail.

Yeah my mistake, its been so long since I've loaded a 50 I forgot! I was thinking they both was, 50 and 55. I started with 50s running them hard in a 26" 22-250 and it was honestly the worst performing bullet I've ever ran causing some tremendous splash and runners. I switched to 55s and remembered the pinched fingers loading! They did perform better than the 50s IMO. Any flatbase will bite you if you get loading to fast!

When the 53s came out I tried them and have never once felt like I needed to change, they've been great.

V-max's are V-max's. Well.........no they are not really all the same. I agree that the 40's and 50's leave a lot to be desired when it comes to coyotes. But the 55 is a whole different beast. I use my own custom bullets, but one of my hunting partners has killed hundreds of them with the 55 and I can't say that I've ever seen a bullet that I thought performed any better. There's a big difference between the various weight bullets in the V-max line.

Kino, obviously everyone has their likes and dislikes in bullets and everything else too I guess. I believe one of the reasons I've had very good results with the 50's is that I'm not pushing them at 22-250 speeds. In my 16" barrel AR, they are running about 3,200 fps at the muzzle and I believe give better penetration at the slower speeds I'm shooting. I did shoot a lot of 58 V-max in my 243 pushing them pretty hard and they always did a good job for me. I shot the 55 Nosler Ballistic tips in my 6x45 and they did well also, but the 70 gr. Nosler BT's are almost a one-hole bullet in that rifle for me.

I listened to a podcast with two of the hornady ballisticians, and if i understood correctly they designed this bullet with no weight in mind they just picked all the best variables that they wanted and what became of it was the 53 grain v max. I'd definitely be misleading you if I tried to recall what they were but its definitely worth a listen i believe it was the Eastman's predator pros one

As someone who will freely admit to being a huge vmax fan I can say from what I have seen that getting proper performance really depends on the speed in which you push them. It seems once you start reaching higher speeds the splashes and under penetration really become an issue.
I run an accuracy load in 222 with 40s moving barely 3000fps and although they don't work as a long range killer the under 200 dogs all die instantly with zero fur damage. The 50s in 22-250 I find can't get over 37-3800 without becoming splashy and messy.

Originally Posted By: borkonI've said for Years. People buy VMax bullets because they are the cheapest and tend to be accurate.

For killing coyotes, there are WAY BETTER choices.
Coyotes aint prairie dogs.

Let's ask the guys that kill coyotes for a living (unsponsered) if they use them.
Or the guys that (used too love this) guys that hunt tournaments where decent $$ was involved.

Simply put, there are just so many better bullets.

What bullet do you recommend?

If your not dedicated to the Vmax, any of the name brand 55gr SPs. My favorite is the Speer 52gr flatbase HPs, I shoot it out of my 222, 223, 5.6x50R, 22-250 and 22-250AI. In the 1980s I used the 50gr NBT after I ran out of Herters SPs in the 223 and still use the 40gr NBTs in my 22-204 for coyotes. All seem to be pelt friendly if I stay away from the edges and drop them quite well.

Who has experience with the 50 grain superformance in 22-250? I didn’t realize they were boat tails. The performance looks good but do they hold together at 4000fps? I’ll be shooting them out of a suppressor so don’t need them coming apart…

I've seen WAY TOO Many horrible results with vmax bullets in .22 cal.

Let's say your out calling and have 3 come in hard. You take on front on, great probably a dead coyote.
2 turn and run. You have great running shots at 2 runners.

You gonna trust a vmax to bust down a hip shot coyote and anchor it dead while swinging on the 3rd?
Didn't think so...

I've hunted with alot of guys that use them and unless a frontal or a perfectly placed broadside shot, spent WAY TOO many miles/hours tracking down coyotes shot with them.

You don't need to shoot a 1/2" group to kill a coyote.

A soft point shooting 1" groups at 100 yards will net you way more coyotes in the long run.
And if I gotta tone down my 22_250s to .223 speeds, may as well buy a .223. WAY cheaper!!

Sorry for rant but I'm a confessed (light_for caliber) vmax hater here.

Back