Even number of coyote and trespassers tonight

Bowhntr6pt

Stopped off at a field I've not coyote hunted in a while to see if this big gobbler I've been watching was out and about. I'm not a turkey hunter but this guy has me thinking hard about trying to get him, I saw a fairly big coyote pacing along the edge of the woods about 450-500 yards out so I figured I set up and try the field. Good thing I did.

I was set up and about 8:20 pm I had a coyote slowly working towards me at my 1:00 as I played one of favorite sounds... LIGHTNING JACK. I panned to my right to make sure nothing was slipping up behind me only to see there was... FOUR GUYS with three dogs. They were trespassing looking to catch hogs and were coming right towards me, I can't believe they didn't hear my caller.

I got down out of my truck and as they got close I confronted and detained them as I already was on the phone with dispatch and had guys headed to me. This makes eleven trespassers and twice my hunt has been [beeep] up. I called the property owner and he insisted on prosecution so they were cited and released. I went back to hunting as I was already set up and figured the night was early.

All in all I knocked down five but one must have got up and wandered off. The grass and briars were thick in the field in some places and even with thermal finding a couple was difficult. The action was steady with a coyote coming to the call about every forty-five minutes I'd guess, called it a night at about 2am.

Group photo... one looks to be in bad shape.

Man, the last thing I ever want to see are two legged creatures at night in the woods while hunting.

Great work.

That's the crazy thing about night hunting, you just never know what you may run into and its wise to be prepared accordingly.

I have ran into lovers parked, wrecks, drunks walking home, tweaker and druggie doing what the do, people dumping trash, people dumping deer carcasses, people hung up, livestock that got loose, literally all kinds of craziness goes down!

Congrats on a successful hunt after dealing with the incident.

Seems you have had your share and then some with trespassers. A really fine night with the coyotes after the interruption.

Luckily I have not had to deal with trespassers too much. But sometimes other interesting things. One night I was calling and had a car pull up and park for a little back seat action about 100 yards from me. Most of the trespassers we deal with are in vehicles, due to the fact of a lot open country/unfenced farmland. People driving around with thermal just looking.

Back