22 Cal V Max Bullets

jpr423

I’ve built a new rig for Coyotes and Cats, a 22-250 with an 18” 1-12 twist. I’ve shot both the 55 grain and 50 grain factory V Maxes with good luck but I see more and more about how everyone prefers the 53 grain, mainly due to the BC I believe?

For Coyotes and Cats inside 400, is it worth it?

IMO yes, there is a tremendous difference in jacket and bullet integrity, not just BC. The 53 is a tremendous coyote bullet.

Originally Posted By: Kino MIMO yes, there is a tremendous difference in jacket and bullet integrity, not just BC. The 53 is a tremendous coyote bullet.

Why?

Unless it's a heavy bullet for the caliber, I've seen 100s of horrible instances with V_Max bullets.
What makes the 53 better then the 55s?

Jacket thickness, metallurgy, hardness of lead, lots of variables on how bullets perform. I'm not a Hornady engineer so I can't speak to exact specifics as to why its scientifically better but my sample size of about 1500 or so coyotes I've killed in the last two decades with various Vmaxes, the 53 has hands down outperformed the 50s and 55s. I've had way more splash wounds (mostly 50s) and runners/spinners with the flat based 50/55 than I have the 53s. The 53s rarely splash when hitting shoulder bone and when/if a bullet does exit its usually a small hole. They are very consistent lot to lot and have shot outstanding in every experience I've had with them. Being boat tail they are also easier to load than a flat base bullet.

If you haven't tried them I strongly recommend them, only thing to be aware if is they are longer and may not stabilize in a 14tw barrel.

Kino is right in my opinion,love the 53,shot the 55 for lots of years.It will not stabilize in my 14 twist 22-250 but my 8 twist 223 loves them.Have splashed some 55 grainers but none with 53,and have had some shoulder hits.No engineer but think the longer length may be the key to helping do away with splash.

I also concur with kino.
The 53 grain VMAX are without a doubt the most destructive, accurate vmax to date in .22
I say this after using the 50 vmax for decades on everything from coyotes to rockchucks.
I have shot literally thousands of 50's loaded by black hills.
The 53 grainers are lazers and with full confidence I take head shots now.
This is out of both bolt guns and AR15's.

Hornady so got this bullet right!

53 Vmax is definitely my favorite but a close second is the 52 Amax or ELD-M as they call it now and the one benefit to those 52's is they work well in 14tw guns where as the 53 Vmax, not so much.

Like many others here I've used a variety of different bullets, calibers, and cartridges and the one thing I know for certain, NO, bullet gives bang flop dead every time.

Does anyone have experience shooting them in a 12 twist? Looking back, I may have been better off with a 1-9 twist but the majority of what I see shows the 12 twist as fine for 50-53-55 grain bullets?

I have shot 32 and 40gr in a 1:12 .204 ruger AR. They both shot very accurately.

I think that you would be fine, but you'll have to find out what velocity those bullets with that twist like.

I just purchased a tikka 22-250. 1/8 twist barrel. Debating 50, 53, or 55 grain vmax. Sounds like guys like the 53 grainers a lot

I've shot 50's and 53's in my 22-250 with Brux 18in 12tw barrel and I like the 53 Vmax better. The 52 and 53 SMK's always shoot extremely well in most anything and if I was saving pelts, maybe, they'd be a bullet I would consider but SMK's are a pretty tough bullet and those little 52 and 53 SMK's have such a small open tip my biggest concern would be lack of expansion. If someone doesn't like Vmax bullets I'd suggest Nosler BT's. I've shot quite a few coyotes with 40gr Nosler BT's out of 223's and they always did a pretty good job. If I were to use something different than the 53 Vmax it would most likely be one of the Nosler BT's.

Originally Posted By: ErmineI just purchased a tikka 22-250. 1/8 twist barrel. Debating 50, 53, or 55 grain vmax. Sounds like guys like the 53 grainers a lot

That gun will stack 53s, I'd bet on it!

I've been shooting Sierras 55 game kings for years.
And will continue.
They do a fantastic job at any angle.
22_250 at 3650.

Perhaps the 53 vmax does well, but aint know way I'm swithcing.

OK, I had to try it in my AR15, Decided to use Varget and Benchmark. I like Varget the best of these groups.

Lawyer repellent!

Some of these are hot loads, do not shoot them in your rifle, go minimum book loads and work up.

Was a little chilly and breezy today, but they worked. Those Varget loads are some of my best groups with an AR15.

PCXvt3Bm.jpg

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOK, I had to try it in my AR15, Decided to use Varget and Benchmark. I like Varget the best of these groups.

Lawyer repellent!

Some of these are hot loads, do not shoot them in your rifle, go minimum book loads and work up.

Was a little chilly and breezy today, but they worked. Those Varget loads are some of my best groups with an AR15.

PCXvt3Bm.jpg

No denying that results, very solid hunting accuracy performance!

I'm actually running Benchmark for my loads, super accurate, faster than Varget and can be easily ran through my Redding BR30 powder throw. I love Varget but it and the rest of bigger extruded powders suck trying to use a powder throw.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOK, I had to try it in my AR15, Decided to use Varget and Benchmark. I like Varget the best of these groups.

Lawyer repellent!

PCXvt3Bm.jpg

What kind of velocity were you getting out of that 26.5 grn varget group?

Wow! I just saw that, I wouldn't have thought you could get 26.5 grains of Varget in a 223 case!

My load is 23.8gr of Benchmark, new Starline 556 brass, it runs 3110 in an 18" 1/7tw WOA barrel.

Back