Public Hunting Areas Strategies - Camouflage

Public Hunting Areas Strategies –Camouflage

Guys, this is a touchy subject. We all watch YouTube videos of coyote hunters sitting in a chair with basically street clothes on dropping coyotes. I guess there’s even a guy dressed in a Santa Claus suite dropping coyotes. In my opinion, they get away with it for two reasons. One, they avoid any unnecessary movement. And two they position their Ecaller out away from them so the coyote/fox focuses on the Ecaller. So, do you need camouflage? Well, I believe what I see. I saw it documented on film, so I guess you don’t! If you hunt with the sun at your back, make no movement, sit in a hidden shaded area, have a low silhouette, hunt only young uneducated coyotes off the den, then no you don’t need camo.

I have hunted Public Hunting Areas for many years. I always wore full camo. I was calling predators within 30 yards or less and shooting them with a shotgun. Not to mention using a hand call. As I mentioned in previous posts, you’re dealing with overcalled, educated coyotes/fox on Public Hunting Areas. So, you need to be concealed. If your fully camouflaged you can get away with repositioning your gun, or adjusting yourself to take a shot. Remember, always keep in mind no matter how much camo you have on any unnecessary movement should be completely avoided. Any movement you make, should be slow and deliberate. Most of the time when your calling in a double, the first coyote most always stops and looks behind to see where his buddy is. Good time to move or reposition your gun if you have to. Here's a picture of my son's camo he got for Christmas. When he's leaning up against a tree along a woods line, he looks like a bush. Completely blended in.

OtGqocr.jpg

Here in Ohio, we hunt woods and small open fields. Hay, corn etc. Most places we can use a rifle. But later in the season, when coyotes are overcalled and educated you have to hike in further into the Public Hunting Areas and setup in woods. Back to shotguns and complete camouflage to be successful.
In winter months with snow on the ground, I always wore all white. Mask, gloves, pants, coat and boots all white. My gun was even taped all white. I was very successful with this setup. I also wore white pants and a camo dark jacket when I setup sitting with my back to a tree. That setup also worked well for me. White pants to blend in with the snow on the ground. Dark camo jacket to blend in with the tree trunk I was leaning against. My mother would take a roll of black elastic and sew strips on my hunting jacket. When I got to my hunting spot, I grabbed the foulage around my stand and tucked them in the elastic strips, I now blended in with my surroundings. I can remember calling in a fox and he walked right by me. I could have reached out and grabbed his tail. He’s mounted and sitting in my gun room. I also put him to work. Sit him in the open with a dead crow hanging from his mouth and you better have a couple boxes of shells. The crows go crazy.

wQQJHab.jpg

It’s really amazing how camouflaged has changed over the years. Multiple patterns, manufactures and now they have patents and copyrights on their patterns. A pattern for any area of the country. They even sell camouflage clothing at Walmart.
Now you can also get your gun completely camouflaged by hydrographics. Any pattern and in any color etc. I recently got my rifle stock dipped in Mossy Oak Terra. Now it matches my scope. If you guys never heard of Hydrographics, you can watch all kinds of YouTube videos. Its pretty cool. You can also buy kits online and do it yourself. I’ll post a picture of my stock. There’s a company here in Ohio that does a professional job. They can obtain any pattern, by any company since they are an authorized dealer. He charged me $130 for my rifle stock. Came out beautifully. He sprays a dull clear coat on after dipping. This protects the stock, and it will not shine in the sun. There are Hydrographic Companies all over the country. So, my guess there is one close by where you live. This method is preferred if you ever decide you want to sell your gun. It’s a professional factory finish. If you decide to paint your gun yourself, just be aware of the resale value.

2V8TowL.jpg

dvm21NR.jpg

fy3fsm9.jpg

I saw at a Sportsman show a tree trunk blind. Too funny. Looks just like a tree. Also, I saw a round bale of hay blind. When sitting in a field it looks just like all the other hale bales.
Guys, place your comments here as well. I’m sure everyone has their ways of concealment.

OhioPredatorHunter

It is funny, you made me remember a friend and I hunting years ago in AZ, he is in Ohio also. He wore a full Guilly suit, for a few stands, left a trail with junk falling off, and it was heavy and hot. But it sure worked. I remember watching and talking to USMC Snipers when I was stationed at Quantico, VA. Those guys are amazing.

I wear some camo because I believe it helps, it may not be needed, if your still and other stuff. But your scent is a big deal too, it is impossible to hide, unless your in a space suit. Sprays and cover scents I am told do help.

I generally wear minimum, camo. Basically Carhart brown bibs, a leafy camo top and hood. The bibs are very durable.

I am old and out of shape so I try to keep the weight down.
This is typical clothing I wear, except a also wear a hood.
1VSP1BGm.jpg

fLLJp61m.jpg

LEN3H5Fm.jpg

last pic is my biggest bobcat

This last pic was by myself (best single stand) and I actually got 5 with my stock Kimber 223, but didn't find the fifth on till the next day.

e4bLY9Fm.jpg

When I do camo a rifle or shotgun, I keep it very simple. Usually blotches or stripes. IMO many of the fancy patterns tend to blend in and just turn into a dark blob at a distance. They look great up close.
I would probably do better if fully camo'd like that young man, but I am too lazy.

RLcCUNdm.jpg

Last edited:
Tried Guilly suit for a short while, but they are not very compatible with the south Texas brush. Difficult to impossible to get through the very thick thorn bush thickets.

Reached a compromise that helps cover slight movements while using hand calls, etc. by putting some Guilly netting on my shooting sticks. With a headnet and the sticks, only the forend and rifle barrel are visible from the front.

35703381665_5bb0df56d9_o.jpg

Regards,
hm

If I remember correctly "The Professor" Higgins would throw a leafy camo type tarp poncho like thing over himself while calling.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Tried Guilly suit for a short while, but they are not very compatible with the south Texas brush. Difficult to impossible to get through the very thick thorn bush thickets.

Reached a compromise that helps cover slight movements while using hand calls, etc. by putting some Guilly netting on my shooting sticks. With a headnet and the sticks, only the forend and rifle barrel are visible from the front.

35703381665_5bb0df56d9_o.jpg

Regards,
hm

That's a good idea. Does the job, light weight. If you have to lift your gun and re-adjust do you get spotted because your moving the whole camo/shooting sticks?

My nephew has a picture of a Tom turkey on a stick. He holds it out in front of him and crawls out towards the turkey's hanging out in an open field. When he gets close he raises his gun and shoots. It's funny, but it works.

Last edited:
Oh yeah!! As you would expect, any quick movement is usually spotted, choosing the opportune time to make the shift is paramount. Succeed sometimes, other times not so much.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I hate to admit this. One stand I made years ago was a field bordering a woods line. I sat my camo shotgun down, ran the caller out in the field and when I came back I couldn't find my gun! Yep. I did it. I knew about where I layed it down and eventually found it. It blended in the grass I couldn't see it. I carry it with me know. Never know if you may need it. Gotta watch these 2 legged creatures these days.

OhioPredatorHunter

Last edited:
I am always wearing camo from head to toe, with a camo face mask covering my face while using a camo shotgun.

When I move to shoot coyotes from 20 yards to 40 yards away quite often the coyotes will see me move and just cock their head like they are thinking what is that?

If your wearing camo you can get away with some movement that you can't get away with if your not wearing camo.

I like to sit in the shade but I will sit in the sun to keep the wind direction in my favor. Without camo and a camo gun, sitting in the sun would not work very good.

Originally Posted By: OhioPredatorHunter I sat my camo shotgun down, ran the caller out in the field and when I came back I couldn't find my gun! Yep. edited
smile.gif

OhioPredatorHunter

I laugh when I think of camo wallets.

I hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

I wear a ghillie upper/jacket and some type of earth tone pants as I hunt brushy country and my legs are pretty much below a coyotes line of sight, I'm usually on a stool. I do have a couple pairs of camo pants but save them for special occasions, ones polar fleece to go under breathable waders and the others are just camo jeans from Walmart.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiThis last pic was by myself (best single stand) and I actually got 5 with my stock Kimber 223, but didn't find the fifth on till the next day.

e4bLY9Fm.jpg

When I do camo a rifle or shotgun, I keep it very simple. Usually blotches or stripes. IMO many of the fancy patterns tend to blend in and just turn into a dark blob at a distance. They look great up close.
I would probably do better if fully camo'd like that young man, but I am too lazy.

RLcCUNdm.jpg

FIVE! Stone killah...OUTSTANDING

I wear a ranch safari ghillie jacket in the colder months, wich aren't many in AZ. That comes off for the other 8 months...just regular Realtree APHD...

I would agree with many of the sentiments...necessary? Debateable. Might give you that extra time to get the shot in or turn without being noticed...yep.

Can't tell you how many predators jave the same look...is that bush pointing a gun...

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiThis last pic was by myself (best single stand) and I actually got 5 with my stock Kimber 223, but didn't find the fifth on till the next day.

e4bLY9Fm.jpg

RLcCUNdm.jpg

Nice job. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to call in 5 and shoot 5. Maybe our plots of land are only a few acres and there may just be a few calling that home.

But I'm still out there hunting, so you never know

Originally Posted By: jmeddyI hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

I put a rechargeable round led light that Nite-ize makes for dog collars on my ecaller. It lets you pick the color. We’re limited to using lights to night hunt so I set the led color to green since my lights are red.

Like you said, saves time you waste trying to find your caller.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyI hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

I'm off to Ace Hardware to buy me some reflective tape......

Oh ya, no more searching for me...

Originally Posted By: OhioPredatorHunterOriginally Posted By: jmeddyI hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

Yeah it only takes once of trying to find it by trying to follow the sound...and something feels weird about doing that, like someone is watching me...

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: OhioPredatorHunterOriginally Posted By: jmeddyI hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

Yeah it only takes once of trying to find it by trying to follow the sound...and something feels weird about doing that, like someone is watching me...

Yep. In my case it would be that high pressured coyote that's heard everything , sitting out around 400yards laughing at me. Saying to himself "wow, here's another rookie".

Originally Posted By: OhioPredatorHunterOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: OhioPredatorHunterOriginally Posted By: jmeddyI hunt mostly at night and all my gear including the ecall has a little reflective tape on it that I can see from most of 360 degrees. Has saved me a lot of "searching".

Yep. In my case it would be that high pressured coyote that's heard everything , sitting out around 400yards laughing at me. Saying to himself "wow, here's another rookie".

LOL...

Back