Project gun.

Keener205

I’m changing a Remington 700 from 243 to 223 for my lil girl to shoot prairie dog. I have an ADL replacement stock coming a VTR barrel already. I’m looking for a bolt to swap unless there an alternative. What else do I need fo make the change?

You'll need a magazine for 223 with the block in the back of it and a follower. Or just make it a single shot with a follower. Your shooting prairie dogs, probably one shot at a time anyway.

Bigdog1 has a nice Howa in 223 for sale in the classifieds and another one on Accurate Shooter. Might be cheaper and easier than rounding up parts and converting yours.

Last edited:
I’d like to buy another but short on all at once funds. If I could sell the stiner binos I’d probly buy a new rifle for her

It's going to be a single shot affair, as the feed rails are wider on the 243, meaning the 223 rounds will not stay down in the mag box.

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunkior you can have the 223 barrel punched out to a 22-250, then you don't need to change bolt, follower

Just what I was thinking. A .22-250 can be loaded down for .223
performance and recoil. Least expensive route as well.

If there is no rush to get this rifle, why not try selling yours or trading for a 223. I think you'll be money ahead in the long run. You may end up with a major head ache doing a medium caliber to a small caliber swap. Nothing is worse than a rifle you have to fight with to get it to function correctly.

I had a Sako that wouldn't extract consistently. I had to take a cleaning rod with me every time I took it out to tap the hull from the chamber. Finding an extractor was a PITA but I found one $120 later. Then found out the smith that originally installed the barrel didn't allow for the correct extractor so I had to pay to have that fixed as well. Now it works as it should but not at an extra cost to me. Hopefully you understand what I getting at. Might be cheaper in the long run just to buy a 223.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf there is no rush to get this rifle, why not try selling yours or trading for a 223. I think you'll be money ahead in the long run. You may end up with a major head ache doing a medium caliber to a small caliber swap. Nothing is worse than a rifle you have to fight with to get it to function correctly.

I had a Sako that wouldn't extract consistently. I had to take a cleaning rod with me every time I took it out to tap the hull from the chamber. Finding an extractor was a PITA but I found one $120 later. Then found out the smith that originally installed the barrel didn't allow for the correct extractor so I had to pay to have that fixed as well. Now it works as it should but not at an extra cost to me. Hopefully you understand what I getting at. Might be cheaper in the long run just to buy a 223.
This ^^^ is the best course of action.
But sometimes the rabbit hole beckons.

Good luck

If you are interested in doing a single shot rifle the 22 BR would be the obvious choice. Same bolt, small recoil with light bullets, excellent accuracy. If you want a repeater the 22 BR needs to be setup with a M5 type bottom metal and a AICS style magazine with the mag kit. They will feed reliably with that setup.

Do you reload? If she can shoot the rifle why not try to load up some lower velocity rounds topped with 58 grain V-Max? I know there are a few factory loaded reduced recoil offerings out there but I believe they're in a heavier grain bullet. That way you ain't gotta spend any money on a new rifle or messing with the one you have.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI saw a decent Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 223 in Tulsa today for $560. Cheaper than buying parts to convert one.
That's a good buy, especially if the barrel is still good.

Originally Posted By: DirectDriveOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI saw a decent Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 223 in Tulsa today for $560. Cheaper than buying parts to convert one.
That's a good buy, especially if the barrel is still good.

I didn't ask, it may be new. Its a big store with lots of guns.

Back