Thermals on bolt guns

Burnsome...

Probably beating a dead horse here, but searched the last 25 pages of the Night Calling forum to see if this topic has been covered but didnt find anything definitive.

I am curious what you guys are running on your bolt guns in the currently available thermal scope categories.

If one was to use a traditional bolt action rifle, are the choices down to ATN Thor or Pulsar Thermion since they are designed to mount like traditional scopes? If so, how to they compare image quality wise like compared to something like a Super Hogster, etc etc...? I'd prefer a 640-something for high quality imaging, but if there is something else out there I'd like to hear about your experience going down this road.

Not interested in changing out stocks or using extended mounts to move a scope back for proper eye relief as some folks do.

Anyway, would like to hear some feedback on what you use and how well its working out for you. TIA

Burn,
I am currently running my AGM Rattler on a bolt gun with no problems with eye relief or getting it mounted back far enough.
To give you a couple options in tube type thermals, take a look at the AGM Adders, or the Iray Bolt series. Both are quality scopes and are designed for the bolt gun. Keep us posted on your thoughts.

bait

For a bolt gun I love my Thermion. Tailor made for it. A bit heavy but no biggie. Does everything that needs to be done and does it well. AGM Adder is another traditional style too. And I think maybe Iray Bolt?

Burris thermal scope has the European mount(bolt gun) and American mount(AR/rail). I'm running the Burris with American mount on my TC dimension bolt gun, it has a high comb type stock and I removed the pad spacer to shorten the length of pull(eye cup is closer) no need to worry about recoil with suppressor on the 204R.

Thanks Gents

The suggestions give me a starting point for sure. Looking at setting up a 2nd night rifle and current platforms are Rem 700 SPS Tactical or Ruger Ranch Rifle - both in 223. Will be SBR'd because I like to carry a lighter and shorter barrel setup when out in the dark and my maximum shots will be 100 yards or less, typically 50-60 yards.

ATN Adder and Thermion look good. Not familiar with the Burris but will look into them as well.

Would prefer a 640 core to get the extra clear resolution but that's just me.

Off to do research....

Last edited:
Burn I'm an Nvision guy but on a bolt gun without a chassis or adjustable cheek piece the Pulsar Thermion is hands down the best option as it is designed/looks like a traditional rifle scope and that allows a proper cheek weld.

I think Europtic has the Thermion XP50 for like $3400, your going to be very very hard pressed to find a better deal on a 640 scope.

Went from first a Hogster R35, then SH, and 3-1/2 months ago, the thermion xg50. All on the same Ruger American and EGW rail. Haven't changed from the original xy coordinates even after a head over heels fall (hard enough that I got a couple bruised ribs (on the gun carry side) that didn't manifest till 36 hours later). I was constantly chasing POI with the others.

The NEW Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50 LRF is perfect for a bolt action rifle.

3x base mag too

I think you can create your own reticle.

And they have some (future) firmware upgrade that you plug your ballistics into the Stream Vision app and it corrects your cross hairs for various distances.

Bad part is its BIG and uses proprietary batteries and one of them is internal.

Originally Posted By: Kino MBurn I'm an Nvision guy but on a bolt gun without a chassis or adjustable cheek piece the Pulsar Thermion is hands down the best option as it is designed/looks like a traditional rifle scope and that allows a proper cheek weld.

I think Europtic has the Thermion XP50 for like $3400, your going to be very very hard pressed to find a better deal on a 640 scope.
I think you’re talking about the XG50 and they raised the price from 3399.00 to 3699.00 probably because it was such a good price and a lot of people started buying them. I thought this scope was discontinued but was told by a dealer that Pulsar still makes it exclusively for Europtics. I’m not sure that’s true but he was serious about it.

Originally Posted By: Erie660Originally Posted By: Kino MBurn I'm an Nvision guy but on a bolt gun without a chassis or adjustable cheek piece the Pulsar Thermion is hands down the best option as it is designed/looks like a traditional rifle scope and that allows a proper cheek weld.

I think you’re talking about the XG50 and they raised the price from 3399.00 to 3699.00 probably because it was such a good price and a lot of people started buying them. I thought this scope was discontinued but was told by a dealer that Pulsar still makes it exclusively for Europtics. I’m not sure that’s true but he was serious about it.

Yes Sir, it stand corrected it is the XG50. My main hunting buddy bought one as well as a few others I know and they are all happy with them. 3.5x base mag also, great for coyote hunting.

Thanks for the inputs Gents

Considering all the units suggested.

Just want to compare the image quality/definition with what I'm currently getting from the Super Hogster as I dont want to downgrade from what I have now.

I can kinda see why you want to avoid an extended base if you're going to buy a new dedicated set up for the bolt gun anyway.

However, I did put on an extended base on a couple guns for when I want to possible put my SH on one. They add 4 slots to the rear, making it perfect for eye relief, with no additional riser needed for the bolt gun, as with an AR.

I did cut the front back to even with the action, just for the halibut.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/bases/12...lief-20moa.html

Interesting mount there alf. Always a way to skin a cat as they say...and sounds like it worked out well for you.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the AGM Adder TS35-384 mounted in Warn quick release rings so I could swap out to another rifle if ever needed.

Anybody running the Adder TS35-384 that can share your experiences is appreciated.

Burn 'em if you got 'em...

I would definitely check out the Bolt TH50-C. The 2560x2560 HD display and the 3.5x native magnification goes perfectly with my suppressed 22-250.

Originally Posted By: UNV_TmackI would definitely check out the Bolt TH50-C. The 2560x2560 HD display and the 3.5x native magnification goes perfectly with my suppressed 22-250.

Thanks Tmac. That looks like an awesome scope and I'm guessing is perfect for longer ranges? I typically have shots between 50-60 yards down here in the Georgia woods. Occasionally I might need to stretch it out to 100 but that's rare.

Thermals on bolt guns are awesome. I run a Halo XRF on a Q Fix and it's my main coyote / big lone pig gun. Can't beat reliability too when the AR's decide to mess up or get dirty or something. That rig is a chassis type setup and the bobro on the XRF moves it back plenty. For a more typical bolt gun, I'd look at Pulsar Thermions & iRay Bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UNV_TmackWhat type of bolt action are you using and what day scope do you have on it right now?

Currently wringing out a Rem 700 SPS tactical 223 with a Burris 3-12 and a Ruger Ranch in 223 with a Konus 1-6x

Havent made final decision on which one to go with but am leaning towards the Remington

You definitely have some options. They are running a promotion right now 1k off on the RICO 640 models. I would look at the RICO RH35. Starts off at 2x base magnification and would give you the field of view and eye relief with the stock mount for a bolt action. If you get some free time, feel free to give us a call. We also have a nationwide rental program.

Back