Which e call for me?

Wiscoboy

I want to get a GOOD e caller. I have had an original foxpro and an icotech 320 and were not impressed with either.

I was all set to buy an icotec outlaw, and still may, but I keep hearing about the lucky ducks and how good the sounds are. Basically the only negative I hear is durability. Do they have any free sounds like icotec and foxpro?

The foxpros seem to win in the warranty and durability arenas, but I'm worried that the sounds are commonly used and the coyotes I'm after have probably heard them.

I plan to use some odd sounds like pheasant distress and chicken and other birds, etc.

I'm considering the outlaw (if I go this way should I wait for the new one) , the ruffneck or revolt from lucky duck, or the foxpro Shockwave or one of the x calls.

I do not want to replace this for at least 5 years. I also plan to call coons and crows as well as predators. Which one would you buy under my circumstances?

If I were looking at to buy a new caller, I'd look at the features offered and see what looks good to me, things that fit my style of hunting.

I like a directional speaker, I like to focus sounds into a certain area.

I don't need exceptionally long range in my remote as it is rarely more than 40 yards from me.

Fairly compact because I hike a lot.

I don't want a built in decoy, I have my own ideas on decoy placement

I find any remote that I have to scroll for sounds a pain.

That is how I look at buying a new caller. My last two purchases were a WT and a FP Patriot. The Patriot is a great.little caller and fits my compact and light needs, I do detest the remote just for the scrolling for sounds. WT, I love the remote, I could make a whole stand including changing sounds without ever having to do more than glance at it, there's nothing to read.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WiscoboyI want to get a GOOD e caller. I have had an original foxpro and an icotech 320 and were not impressed with either.

I am in the same boat. I have the icotec as well, and it’s barely decent. I’m liking the Foxpro x24, but reviews for all of the callers seem to be hit and miss.

Me and my son hunt together a bunch,he runs X24 while I run a Revolt.We kill coyotes over both.We start with one or the other,three blank stands we switch callers,if we have another three blanks we change.When either caller brings one in we stay with it.They will all call coyotes,comes down to which one you like best.Downfall to my Revolt is I have had a little remote trouble but mainly wish it was smaller.

I have one of the earlier FP 24's and a Lucky Duck Roughneck. I like both, called in and killed a lot of coyotes, bobcats, and a few lions with the Foxpro, but used it longer. I even shot the FP accidentally when hunting by myself, I called in a triple that got a little crazy. FoxPro fixed it up and it still calls them in.

Originally Posted By: Wiscoboy
The foxpros seem to win in the warranty and durability arenas, but I'm worried that the sounds are commonly used and the coyotes I'm after have probably heard them.

I think coyotes can be call shy after hearing and seeing guys using e-callers just 4 or 5 times or less. Smart coyotes are not going to do stupid things just because they hear a new sound.

I am very lucky and get to do 100% of my calling on big private ramches, that nobody else is calling. When I go out to hunt these ranches after 3 times in one to two months my calling sucess goes way down.

If your hunting in a area that coyotes won't come into 50 different Foxpro sounds, I don't think switching e-callers and using 50 new sounds will get a bunch of coyotes to run right in.

If coyotes would just come right in when they heard a new sound I could take 99 sounds and only play 3 different sounds per day and hunt 33 days and still have coyotes comming in because I was playing 3 new sounds each day.

If coyotes won't come in to 50 different sounds where you are calling coyotes, it's time to find a new place to call coyotes, changing sounds in that same area is not going to make smart coyotes into stupid coyotes.

If there is enough people calling coyotes in a area that they can remember 50 sounds, these same coyotes have seen hunters and vehicles and associated them with the sounds from e-callers. It's time to hunt some where else.

Originally Posted By: WiscoboyEnded up ordering a roughneck. Hopefully it works good and lasts a few years for me.

Good deal. Be sure to report back after you break it in.

Originally Posted By: WiscoboyEnded up ordering a roughneck. Hopefully it works good and lasts a few years for me.

Rick's sounds are second to none! I've hunted over Roughnecks and they sound great with good volume. They have a problem in cold weather with the handle breaking so just be careful carrying it.

I bought a new Luckyduck Super Revolt this year, came in the day before I went to Montana on my annual trip and killed 51 coyotes and 5 foxes in 6 nights (one was a really short night) so I know it works!

Best of luck to you!

Back