Public Hunting Areas Strategies - Calls

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.When I hunt public, State Wildlife Areas (SWA), for coyotes, I hunt the edges, and call to the private land.

Shhhhh… we are just trying to feed them… not fatten them:)

LOL...

every body talks about calling on public ground but the opposite is what will kill maybe 50 % more no calling sit at least 20 minutes of doing nothing at the end of your sets curiosity will get them.

Originally Posted By: duckevery body talks about calling on public ground but the opposite is what will kill maybe 50 % more no calling sit at least 20 minutes of doing nothing at the end of your sets curiosity will get them.

We have the benefit of having a LOT of public land out in AZ. In fact, we struggled in my early days in coyote hunting competitions because other teams had the advantage of private property. In the last hunt contests in AZ before our fish and game department banned them, they changed the rules to REQUIRE that teams ONLY hunt on land that ALL teams could hunt.

Myself, and Arizona Bushman finally felt like we had a fair, fighting chance an we made the most out of it. We won both contests because public, scorched earth is about all we get to call. I remember a few years back when we had the convention in Elko and heard that there was one area that was "scorched earth" outside of town where a bunch of guys were trying and striking out. Game on. Out we went and we called in and downed a couple of scorched earth coyotes.

I am certainly not the best caller, there are far better guys on PM than I am. But I am no slouch, especially when I have to work public land.

I have a "3 strikes rule." Call a stand the same way 3 times. If nothing shows, change ONE thing. Don't change too much or else you won't know what worked.

One thing that I have done, is gone quiet at the end of the stand, especially during certain times of the year. When the youngsters are out of the den, I will go quiet for as long as I call that stand. I can't tell you how many doubles we have gotten doing that. They are not pups, but are the pups from the year before. For some reason they seem to hang back, maybe because they expect more dominant coyotes to show up. But after sitting quiet at that time of year has yielded us a LOT of younger doubles.

Interesting storie.

I was hunting a big public area in central WA and left my reading glasses back at the stand so left my gear in the truck to lighten the load(it was a good hike)to hike back to the stand. As I topped the hill over where my stand was, low and behold there was Mr Coyote nosing around right where the caller had sat. No fear, he just looked at me and walked back into the sage.

I used the strategy of calling, then waiting. I was on a Public Hunting Area and I played a mouse call on medium volume for about 2 minutes. Turned the call off, and sat and waited. This red fox showed up investigating after 20 minutes or so. 60 yard shot and down he went.
Got this one tanned and had winter mittens made for my wife.

The call and wait method worked again.

NX2X4SKm.jpg

Last edited:
Pay attention to your surroundings.

I was out calling coyotes last week and something happened to me while calling. I noticed 5 deer ran out of the woods and into the field. They stopped and kept looking back towards the woods. If it was November and the rut was in, my guess would be they were being chased by a buck. But this was March, so what's up? Sure enough here came a coyote. The deers behavior gave me warning. Then another thing happened during the next stand. A dozen crows were cawing and going crazy. Heading towards me as they followed something sneaking through the woods. This time it turned out to be an old barn Tom cat. So, when your out calling pay attention what's going on around you. Deer, crows, squirrels can alert you that some predator is approaching. Kind of forgot about this until it happened to me. Just thought I'd remind everyone to keep alert.

Back