Will POI change taking after the same suppressor off and on the same gun?

“I've never once cleaned my centerfire cans, some have thousands of rounds through them with zero issuesand they shoot sub MOA like when they was new! With jacketed high pressure rounds its not needed, thats why most rifle cans are sealed.“

Never cleaned a suppressor, it may keep your same group. However the intended purpose of noise reduction won’t be at its best, and only lessen as more use and no maintenance goes on.

Jacketed has zero to do with it. It will fill with carbon and residue over time. Weigh suppressor when new then weigh it after 10K rounds with no service along with checking with a DB meter.

Welded cans/nonservicable are welded for cost and easy of production. Along with some weight loss.

I pay the premium and deal with a serviceable can. I cleaned mine after about 700 rounds of 5.56/69MK/Varget loads. The crud and crap that came out was crazy.

As far as POI and MOA movement, that will vary from rifle to rifle. Out of six I had to adjust my POI on one and it was a heavy barrel solid rig. Anytime you hang something on the end you will change harmonics, no way around it. Any suppressor manufacturer that claims other wise is selling a bill of goods. I have a couple of barrel tuners and have seen what they can do with very small adjustments.

Originally Posted By: jsh“I've never once cleaned my centerfire cans, some have thousands of rounds through them with zero issuesand they shoot sub MOA like when they was new! With jacketed high pressure rounds its not needed, thats why most rifle cans are sealed.“

Never cleaned a suppressor, it may keep your same group. However the intended purpose of noise reduction won’t be at its best, and only lessen as more use and no maintenance goes on.

Jacketed has zero to do with it. It will fill with carbon and residue over time. Weigh suppressor when new then weigh it after 10K rounds with no service along with checking with a DB meter.

Welded cans/nonservicable are welded for cost and easy of production. Along with some weight loss.

I pay the premium and deal with a serviceable can. I cleaned mine after about 700 rounds of 5.56/69MK/Varget loads. The crud and crap that came out was crazy.

As far as POI and MOA movement, that will vary from rifle to rifle. Out of six I had to adjust my POI on one and it was a heavy barrel solid rig. Anytime you hang something on the end you will change harmonics, no way around it. Any suppressor manufacturer that claims other wise is selling a bill of goods. I have a couple of barrel tuners and have seen what they can do with very small adjustments.

You might want to take a look at this article that plainly states cleaning centerfire cans isn't needed.....

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/clean-silencer

This article falls in line with everything I was taught about 20 years ago when I started buying suppressors.

One of my very very good friends builds cans for a living, he has the exact same opinion/position as the article I linked from Silencershop.

That is an interesting article. I won’t say it is right or wrong, that is for their suppressor of their design. It does mention not all are designed as “self cleansing “.

I took advise on suppressors from a fellow that has been using them since the mid 70’s. His line of work in the military was not of the average grunt. His major complaint was keeping them clean so they were quiet, his description”quieter than a mouse fart”.

Funny it mentions the Griffin as that is what I went with.

Originally Posted By: jshThat is an interesting article. I won’t say it is right or wrong, that is for their suppressor of their design. It does mention not all are designed as “self cleansing “.

I took advise on suppressors from a fellow that has been using them since the mid 70’s. His line of work in the military was not of the average grunt. His major complaint was keeping them clean so they were quiet, his description”quieter than a mouse fart”.

Funny it mentions the Griffin as that is what I went with.

So how many did he run? Because every can I've ran, gets substantially quieter as the baffles become carbon coated. Less visual signature as well.

We've all been told that sealed cans don't need cleaned, BUT I decided to clean my SAS Ti after around 10,000 rounds and holy crap did I get a butt load of carbon out. I wished I would've weighed the can before and after.
All a guy has to do is look at the end of your barrel and see carbon build up. So it only makes sense that carbon is also slowly building up inside the can over time. Mine still sounded pretty quiet, but I know for a fact it is now lighter than it was before I cleaned it.

Originally Posted By: songdogWe've all been told that sealed cans don't need cleaned, BUT I decided to clean my SAS Ti after around 10,000 rounds and holy crap did I get a butt load of carbon out. I wished I would've weighed the can before and after.
All a guy has to do is look at the end of your barrel and see carbon build up. So it only makes sense that carbon is also slowly building up inside the can over time. Mine still sounded pretty quiet, but I know for a fact it is now lighter than it was before I cleaned it.

Exactly. We're talking literally thousands of rounds before cleaning. BUT when you are looking at cleaning every 50-100... No way.

Ray Sanchez from Thunderbeast published about the effect of not cleaning a suppressor. He had one can that was returned to their shop for cleaning that had gained 8 ounces of carbon and lost most of its ability to suppress. He quoted the dB readings both before and after cleaning which was a significant difference. The can gets full of carbon and the volume that was available to contain gas was reduced. A suppressor starts loosing effectiveness from the first shot from carbon accumulation. It takes a while but it never stops.

I have Jay Idriss from Pew Science lined up for an in depth podcast that will probably hurt some guys feeling with the data he's going to provide.

Usually the first shot is the loudest due to the excess of O2 present in the can, once that is burned up, it does, actually get quieter.

Reference FRP.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI have Jay Idriss from Pew Science lined up for an in depth podcast that will probably hurt some guys feeling with the data he's going to provide.

Usually the first shot is the loudest due to the excess of O2 present in the can, once that is burned up, it does, actually get quieter.

Reference FRP.

If you get a chance ask them about the specific metering equipment they use. I'm curious how their equipment compares to the setup Ray and the boys w/TBAC are using. Also, do they have a youtube channel where you can watch their testing?

Absolutely I have that listed, regarding what instrumentation and standards he implies to make it fair for all suppressors on any given day. I do know that a few suppressor manufacturers take pretty big issue with him because of his unbiased testing and stance on testing and evaluation.

If anyone else has detailed questions on this subject and questions for him, by all means let me know.

Originally Posted By: skinneyAbsolutely I have that listed, regarding what instrumentation and standards he implies to make it fair for all suppressors on any given day. I do know that a few suppressor manufacturers take pretty big issue with him because of his unbiased testing and stance on testing and evaluation.

If anyone else has detailed questions on this subject and questions for him, by all means let me know.

Like, love, or hate TBAC, I appreciate and respect the testing Ray and the folks from TBAC do. Ray will test anything a manufacture is willing to send them and he puts it all right there on youtube to see. If something meters better than their stuff Ray has no problem saying so and will give kudos to them right in the video for all to hear and see. I'm unaware of anyone else that videos their actual testing, describes the equipment used, and puts it all on youtube like Ray does.

Maybe you could get them on together, that'd be interesting.

I switch around my Specwar and Omega 300 all the time with ASR brakes
Dead nuts on with no change at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BangPopRay Sanchez from Thunderbeast published about the effect of not cleaning a suppressor. He had one can that was returned to their shop for cleaning that had gained 8 ounces of carbon and lost most of its ability to suppress. He quoted the dB readings both before and after cleaning which was a significant difference. The can gets full of carbon and the volume that was available to contain gas was reduced. A suppressor starts loosing effectiveness from the first shot from carbon accumulation. It takes a while but it never stops.

Yea I think TBAC recommends that if their can get a few ounces of carbon build up then it should be cleaned. But with that said I have read that the TBAC guys say they don’t really ever clean their personal center fire cans as they don’t need it cleaning.

Back