Morning and evening stands.

OKRattler

Do y'all have stands that only seem to be more productive at certain times of the day? I have several that I'll only call either in the morning or evening. Some stands I make I've called in coyotes in the morning,mid afternoon and evening at some point or another. And now that we can night hunt I've found that some stands I've tried and never called in a coyote but knew they traveled through the area produced coyotes at night.

That's why if I'm calling a new area I've been known to try certain places twice in a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening if nothing showed in the morning.

I figured this out a long time ago and I only try to sit with the sun to my back so I plan on where I'm going to start and end the night before based off of what direction the wind is going,what time of day is most productive and where the sun will be when I get there.

Maybe I'm just OCD and that doesn't make sense to anyone else but me. But I wondered how many of you do the same thing?

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerAnd now that we can night hunt I've found that some stands I've tried and never called in a coyote but knew they traveled through the area produced coyotes at night.

I figured this out a long time ago and I only try to sit with the sun to my back so I plan on where I'm going to start and end the night before based off of what direction the wind is going,what time of day is most productive and where the sun will be when I get there.

Maybe I'm just OCD and that doesn't make sense to anyone else but me. But I wondered how many of you do the same thing?

I have had access to property that you had to work very hard to get a coyote on during the day, morning or evening. Open Agg fields I would hunt only certain times of the year, like when the wheat was knee high or pastures I would hit only when they had not been grazed down by cattle. Now that we can hunt at night some of those same fields are fire. I always felt ineffective when contacted about coyote problems and I would go out and it be one of those places and i could only get one or maybe nothing at all killed.

I used to always feel pressured to time things just right to get to that last cherry picked stand I was going to make before dark. I been hunting all night and into the morning, shooting them in daylight with thermal. I can get OCD planning every approach and setup like a chess game but I very seldom find a setup with ALL the basic fundamentals in place. I see plenty of people taking a tripod and standing in an open field having success at night. I still hunt like I would during the day and shoot from a seated position, on nights with no moon I will stand to scan 360 but sit down to track and shoot as I see them approach.

I still howl a lot to locate them and when I hear them respond, I pull out my phone and look at imagery to plan an area and approach to target that group. Like you said I used to have places I knew produced best right before dark cause I knew coyotes laid up in that area/cover during the day. I still go into every area with a pre-planned path of approach to stands based of distance and wind but most of the times those plans turn into free styling it and changing things up when they give away their location with vocals.

For me it's less about calling a stand twice on the same day to see what time of day for any given day but rather times of day changed based off of time of year.

I've seen that successful times change for a time of the year. Some times of year mornings seem better and at other times sundown stands seem to heat up.

That's just an unscientific observation...

I've done morning and evening stands if the morning one was a bust. But it was more of driving past it on the way to camp and realize I have time for one more stand. It isn't something I do intentionally and it hasn't happened often but if I think back at least once it was successful.

Now that I'm getting older I like to sleep in and have my coffee and breakfast, head out call in a couple and go home. I've gotten to the point that I don't like to prep furs after dinner. Surprisingly I haven't noticed a decrease in coyotes I kill. Most of my coyotes come in between 9:00 and 3:00. Maybe that's because when I'm hunting.

I usually go home and process fur after I kill one, I'm almost disappointed when I killed one on the first stand, then I feel I have to keep hunting for at least a couple more stands.

Last edited:
I've aquired more huntin ground than I used to have so I really don't ever call the same stand twice in a day anymore. I really haven't hunted anything new in while so if I'm more likely to call a coyote in at a certain time I already know what stands I'm going to. But during a contest if a stand is unproductive in the morning and I know there's coyotes there I'll go back there it in the evening. But unfortunately that hasn't paid off as most likely the stand in the morning was the one that was supposed to pay off. But there's been times when my next uncalled spot is further away than time allows so I'll just call there anyways. But calling in the same spot twice a day is how I came to know my evening spots as evening spots. If I'm doing it during a contest I'm usually not feeling real confident on the evening stand.

Originally Posted By: AWSI've done morning and evening stands if the morning one was a bust. But it was more of driving past it on the way to camp and realize I have time for one more stand. It isn't something I do intentionally and it hasn't happened often but if I think back at least once it was successful.

Now that I'm getting older I like to sleep in and have my coffee and breakfast, head out call in a couple and go home. I've gotten to the point that I don't like to prep furs after dinner. Surprisingly I haven't noticed a decrease in coyotes I kill. Most of my coyotes come in between 9:00 and 3:00. Maybe that's because when I'm hunting.

I usually go home and process fur after I kill one, I'm almost disappointed when I killed one on the first stand, then I feel I have to keep hunting for at least a couple more stands.

Usually it seems like from about 11:00 to 3:00 are the most unproductive times generally for me. Of course there are exceptions. If the weather is right they'll move all day. And during breeding season I've called them in at noon. My least favorite time to call is when it's nice outside like it's Spring time. That's when I notice the lowl from mid morning to afternoon. They seem to lay up if it gets warm outside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: OKRattlerAnd now that we can night hunt I've found that some stands I've tried and never called in a coyote but knew they traveled through the area produced coyotes at night.

I have had access to property that you had to work very hard to get a coyote on during the day, morning or evening. Open Agg fields I would hunt only certain times of the year, like when the wheat was knee high or pastures I would hit only when they had not been grazed down by cattle. Now that we can hunt at night some of those same fields are fire. I always felt ineffective when contacted about coyote problems and I would go out and it be one of those places and i could only get one or maybe nothing at all killed.

I used to always feel pressured to time things just right to get to that last cherry picked stand I was going to make before dark. I been hunting all night and into the morning, shooting them in daylight with thermal. I can get OCD planning every approach and setup like a chess game but I very seldom find a setup with ALL the basic fundamentals in place. I see plenty of people taking a tripod and standing in an open field having success at night. I still hunt like I would during the day and shoot from a seated position, on nights with no moon I will stand to scan 360 but sit down to track and shoot as I see them approach.

I still howl a lot to locate them and when I hear them respond, I pull out my phone and look at imagery to plan an area and approach to target that group. Like you said I used to have places I knew produced best right before dark cause I knew coyotes laid up in that area/cover during the day. I still go into every area with a pre-planned path of approach to stands based of distance and wind but most of the times those plans turn into free styling it and changing things up when they give away their location with vocals.

That night huntin definitely opened up a lot of opportunities for sure. Land I'd only look at as good land to kick pheasants or quail up in are now coyote killin ground. I've stood in open fields and killed coyotes as mentioned using thermal in Kansas. I stand while calling at night but if there's a shadow I'll get in it. If there's a tree, windmill or fence post, I will stand in front of it. I don't know if it matters but I feel that if something is standing there and has been a coyote is less likely to pick it out if you're standing in front of it. They see that sticking up in the air all the time and it ain't messed with them yet. So I feel like that's the way to go. It definitely feels less weird than just standing out in the wide open.

That's just a theory. I really can't say if I'm right or not. I've killed coyotes doing it that way so I must be doing something right. I don't know if standing up in front of something makes one bit of difference or not. It sounds like it should make sense. Night huntin is so different I'm kinda just going with what I feel like will work. I'm acting like I know what I'm doing basically. If it works, it works. I won't switch it up until it don't.

Honestly the being able to stand up and call is part of what I like. I feel like I'm missing a lot at times sitting on the ground during the day. Plus I'm only 5'9" tall. So I'm kind of a short guy so when I'm down on the ground it really makes me feel like I'm bound to miss seeing something.

Last edited:
Some great information there. So I hunt both day and night and what I learned about day/night is coyotes are way less cautious at night. At night you can get coyotes to cross anything to get to the caller.

Daytime, definitely not the case. In my topography where I live, coyotes just don't want to cross a wide open field on a bluebird day. If its cloudy, raining or snowing they are more willing to, same thing if its really early or late and the sun is below the treeline. I'll do my first set at daylight anywhere, once the sun gets up I then only hunt very very small fields, in the woods or something with grass or tall corn stubble.

Out west in Nevada where its scrub everywhere, time of the day doesn't seem to matter as much, same way in Montana if your hunting coulees or the river breaks.

After years of calling, I just don't know.
I've had many (what I thought were better patterns) get totally blown out of the water the next week/month/year.

I do believe though, it's best to call when they are up moving instead of bedded.(which can be anytime of the day.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: AWSI've done morning and evening stands if the morning one was a bust. But it was more of driving past it on the way to camp and realize I have time for one more stand. It isn't something I do intentionally and it hasn't happened often but if I think back at least once it was successful.

Usually it seems like from about 11:00 to 3:00 are the most unproductive times generally for me. Of course there are exceptions. If the weather is right they'll move all day. And during breeding season I've called them in at noon. My least favorite time to call is when it's nice outside like it's Spring time. That's when I notice the lowl from mid morning to afternoon. They seem to lay up if it gets warm outside. I agree seems like 11:00-3:00 seems like the slower part of the day for me also.

Originally Posted By: Kino MSome great information there. So I hunt both day and night and what I learned about day/night is coyotes are way less cautious at night. At night you can get coyotes to cross anything to get to the caller.

Daytime, definitely not the case. In my topography where I live, coyotes just don't want to cross a wide open field on a bluebird day. If its cloudy, raining or snowing they are more willing to, same thing if its really early or late and the sun is below the treeline. I'll do my first set at daylight anywhere, once the sun gets up I then only hunt very very small fields, in the woods or something with grass or tall corn stubble.

Out west in Nevada where its scrub everywhere, time of the day doesn't seem to matter as much, same way in Montana if your hunting coulees or the river breaks.
Definitely less cautious at night. You can call them over ground you'd be hard pressed to call anything over. Unless there's snow on the ground. I've found they hate crossing open ground during the day unless it's covered in snow. Why they think that makes it safer, I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: borkonAfter years of calling, I just don't know.
I've had many (what I thought were better patterns) get totally blown out of the water the next week/month/year.

I do believe though, it's best to call when they are up moving instead of bedded.(which can be anytime of the day.

I agree, it's best to call when they're on their feet. Except for one thing, when the wind is blowing like crazy. Normally one would just stay home. But I've found that during a contest when there's no choice it's best to get in there where they're bedded down.

Depending on the situation calling coyotes always has that one exception it seems. I've said "except" in almost every post on this thread. As conditions change that other rule sometimes goes out the window.

Last edited:
Back