NYS Coyote Hunters

Hayzer,

I heard the same thing, and being a retired LEO, it always hits home remembering some of those "hairy stops". Remember them very well.
I don't know if it was a car he pulled over, or one that he just pulled up on, stopped.....don't know.
He apparently put a round or two into each of those two bad guys, and more than likely, the cowards were busted when they sought medical attention.

I was a "lone car" answering calls on complaints that involved guns in the past, I'm pretty sure I know how he must've felt. Scared as hell, usually.
I can only imagine, but the two bad guys must've been either out of the car for him to plant a round in each, or he was at the window and one drew his gun.

It's a sad, sad, day when a fellow officer pays that kind of price....and it angers the hell outta me to know that the legal process allows woodchucks like those to have a chance to argue the issue, when the officer is permanently silenced through their actions.

I hope they get their just due......sooner, than later.

Thoughts & prayers for the fallen brother & family......

Bob

First I want to offer prayers and condolenses to the family members of the officers who have fallen in the line of duty this week.

I had written a long winded message but just erased it. Instead I'll just say let this be a reminder to us all to live life and if nothing else respect one another. Cherish those dear to you and let them know it. There I go again,,,,,,that's it.

Any way I hope that you guys are able to get out. We have about 6-8 inches of snow here. The wind is kicking up though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this afternoon things will settle down.

Best wishes to all,

Perri

Yes ,he did hit both suspects. The first suspect 4 times, the second once. Figures, the good guys always die when they get hit. The [beeep] heads get shot and live.... He is truly a hero. Paid the ultimate sacrifice and he still took out the shitbirds. A true testament to him and the NYS Police.

Well Hayzer,

I've been out of the loop for quite awhile, but there was a law on the books back then that killing a cop in the commission of a felony carried a mandatory death penalty. Don't know if it's still in place, but I'd bet these two lowlife scums will probably get it.....but, with the way things go here in NY, they'll have a nice 20yr (or longer)wait on death row before anything ever happens, if then.

There needs to be an "express lane" installed !

Bob

Yeah an "Express Lane" would work LOL. Unfortunately, the death penalty has been suspended in NYS. The courts have ruled that the law is unconstitutional. Supposedly something wrong with the wording/language......in other words these sh@$ heads are safe from the death penalty.

Anyone have any luck over the weekend????

hey guys,
went out sunday morn. made 3 stands. called in 2 red fox on the last stand. it was a beautiful morning! well at least we had a little action anyway. too bad i couldn't pull the trigger though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

HI!
I am new to the sport I live in cassville ny..I hear a few
Coyotes around especially during bow hunting season. I have
a phanton 2 electronic caller ....no luck with it at all?
maybe the coyote population is not here or moves all the time or the caller is junk.I bought a few howlers and hand calls nothing calling back? mating season...

I am 10 miles southeast of Utica! I have about 15 set ups??
nothing I was going to buy a new rifle BUT i have had no luck maybe a waste of time. Have about $350.00 invested

Hobbies are expensive,,help

I went out this past Sunday morning and just enjoyed the calls ringing through the woods and across the fields. Didn't see anything but it was a real treat to be out! Beautiful day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hollenbeck,

To try and locate them, I'll jump in the truck after dark and tool around on the back roads, stopping here & there and listening, or doing a few howls.
Several patches of woods will house several and I've located some good area's doing it that way. Being new to the whole thing sometimes seems like you're doing something wrong when they don't start showing up. You end up questioning yourself, or your abilities due to the lack of responses. Well, you'll find out down the road, that it's a lot less you than you think.

Don't pay a whole lot of attention to that so much. We get "skunked" more times than not. I'd say an average of coyote scores per season would be maybe 1 to 3. Some more, some less....but as an average take, probably. And I hunt with a partner 90% of the time. I've called them in alone several times, but even if I setup in the most logical position regarding wind, etc., they always seem to surprise me with an unexpected entrance. Usually on your offside.

The best way to become more confident in what you're doing, and to learn more what you might be doing wrong (a lot less than you might think), is to "partner up" with a seasoned hunter....or just one of the guys on here.
I'm sure there's several guys nearby that would love to run several setups with you.

I live over on the western side of the state.....so I'm a little too far off, but there's a bunch of valuable info here, for sure.

Welcome and take care,
Bob

Vvestad,

Welcome to the forum......we're in a good part of the state for coyotes....fer sure.

And yes, just being out is sometimes enough.......but, nailing one would put the icing on the cake, right ?

Take care,
Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Greetings Hollenbeck,

Cassville?? Is that on Rt 8 just above Bridgewater? There's a little diner if you're heading north on the left next to the fire station?? If so that's some nice country. Rolling with plenty of brushy cover. And turkeys out the ying yang. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob has hit the nail on the head. Although I think he's being generous with the averages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif(at least in my case). I see sign, put my time in and still come home empty handed??? Just keep having fun and putting time in. It will all come together.

Yeah, go ahead and get that new rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The woodchucks will be out soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Ahhhh yes, woodchucks.....summer practice.

Speaking of needing practice......

I'm going back to my range books and rudimentary stuff I had in sniper school. Shooting is a perishable skill and man do I need some steady bench time. I used to practice odd stances, off hand stuff and all that, but I haven't been doing steady shooting in the last year or two, except for developing loads, and man does it show.

If I can't do those half incher's, I ain't happy....yeah, I'm a little anal I guess.

Got those sound loops Perri.....thanks loads....I got the cat to keep running out of the other room to see what the hell it is......hahahahaha....LOL....

Thanks & take care,
Bob

That sure would be the end to a perfect day handgunr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I'm working around a large group of guys hunting with dogs and radios on the weekends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Any thoughts on strategy for a set up caller like myself? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vvestad,

In certain places, we have the same problem around here.
Don't get me wrong, I promote any kind of hunting, just as long as it's legal. It's just that we have to take the back seat to the guys running dogs based on the style of hunting.

The guys with dogs have precedence as to when & where they want to hunt. They loose the dogs and where ever they go, they go. I've talked to several hunters that run dogs, and asked them where they were running the dogs that day, and then I'd setup a couple of miles away, only to have the dogs show up by mid day. The dogs will run those coyotes for miles...literally.

Instead of getting PO'ed over it all, you can used it to your benefit as long as your prepared for it. Several places I'd go to hunt, arriving prior to daylight, I'd show up only to see the guys letting the dogs out of their boxes ready to go.
I'd see the direction where the dogs were headed, and then I'd circle the area, and setup on a ridge where I could see well for a long distance, maybe a mile or so from the point where they were released. Usually the shot will be fast, maybe running, but I've watched coyote that were being chased for a distance and they will stop several times to assess their persuer's location. When they do, if you're ready, you can bag one.

Normally, if I'm hunting with a partner (which is most of the time), we give the dog runners a wide birth.
When they beat us to a favorite spot, we tuck tail and leave, heading to another spot probably somewhere nearby, usually not as good.

It doesn't have to be "an oil & water" situation I guess, but they take precedence as to where they want to go, not us. If we're setup calling and see the trucks with dog boxes pull up and let the dogs out, we know were pretty much screwed.
If we hear the dogs coming in from a distance, we'll sit tight and wait for them to pass, hoping that we catch sight of their quarry.
Although it's a bad thing for us caller's most of the time, it can have it's "pro's" now & then.

The only thing I can advise to do is to survey several areas for sign, and if you can, find out where the dog hunter's will be running their pack on a given day.
I'll get their information, but if they ask, I won't let them know specifically where I'm going.
If it's an area that shows promise, and you give up it's location, one of their group (or several) will usually show up there, and since they hold an advantage of bagging coyotes using dogs, I try to keep certain areas quiet as a place to go when they're running the dogs elsewhere.

I don't want to be a jerk with them, and I respect their right to hunt with whatever method is legal, but I enjoy my methods as well, as since they do conflict somewhat, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Once they run the dog pack through an area though, I know it isn't much good to hunt for several days afterwards. Sometimes a week or more.

My 2 cents.......

Take care,
Bob

Dang Bob,

Sounds like it takes a little work when there's .... competition for the resource. Like you said you have to do what you have to do. Running dogs around here would be a nightmare. Small blocks of land, hills everywhere, roads, etc. But I bet they'd get a few.

Well I hunted last night for about an hour. It was a nice evening. Watched the sun set. Saw a lot of sign but couldn't get any takers. Then at 1:55am this morning, the friggin coyotes opened up on the ridge across the river from my place again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The howls sounded just like they were laughing at me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif My next step is to take out a huge loan, get some Gen 4+ night vision, laser guided heat seeking ultra long range small armament and exact my revenge on ole Wiley. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifMaybe it's a good thing the season is coming to an end. It'll give me a few months to regain my sanity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Good hunting.

Perri

hey guys, hunted the last hour or so last night. had a red fox come in first 10 min. of calling. last 3 stands i've made i had fox show up first thing? oh well, at least i saw something. after the fox left, i did some lone howls and some pup distress. no takers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifthis weekend maybe, de
pending on the weather man! good luck guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
goose212

Yeah Goose...

I'm planning on making a weekend of it too. I haven't figured out where just yet, but we'll get organized long before Sat. morning.

Perri....forget the heat seeking stuff...get yourself a pair of those "black ninja jammies" (preferably insulated) and sneak on over there.....I wonder if those throwing stars are legal for killing coyotes ?.....LOL

Seriously.....Some night before the end of season I'm going to head out to one of my deer stands out back in the swamp. It's about 20' in the air, and even with the tag alders and such, you can still see pretty well around you. Within the last few years, coyotes will follow us out of the swamp, and by the time we reach the field 80 yards from my stand, they'll open up howling right at my stand location.

Two years ago, they did it even with the farmer's tractor running at the edge of the field, and Dennis and I standing there talking to him. We weren't really trying to be quiet either.
Dropping my speaker to the ground and using my caller in the stand, as well as being elevated, and in cover, might be the ticket. I've seen them crossing short open areas over the past several years throughout the swamp, so who knows.
It's worth a try.....

Take care,
Bob

Well everyone,
Hav'nt got out much in the last two weeks. Down with the flu for a week just when the weater was looking good. Got home from work at 8pm the other nite get out of the truck and don't I hear a howl across the road. I think d%#$ the beagle got loose again. That wasn't her tho sounded like at least three yotes just across the road in the brush lot. Looks like I'll try my luck this weekend. By the way how will this rain and warm weather affect the coyotes? Do you have to change the way you call? Should we lay off the distress calls this time of year. And use more barks and howls/
Thanks for any insite.
Wayne

Wayne,

I might use preliminary distress calls, only lightly. I just like to test the area nearby in case there is something close.
Other than that, I'll be on the bark & howl calls mostly.

I've had the best luck with random short barks in the past. Maybe one, or two, then I shut up for a while. After two or three series of these over a period of 30 mins or so, I'll toss in a short howl, breaking at the peak.
That's just me....it's worked now & then, especially around this time of year.
With this warmer weather slated for this weekend, I highly doubt they'll be hurtin' for food. Usually with quick thaws like these, there's a lot of carcasses, and other stuff that'll be uncovered & available. Plus, it'll draw out the opossums, rabbits and such.

Being mating season, it seems like related calls would be the best bet.
All season, distress calls seemed to work best with fox, and not one coyote was summoned. Our best luck has always been during the month where fox season ends, and coyote season ends.....which means right now.

I just got over the flu, and it screwed up several sets when I couldn't fight back the nagging urge to cough up a hairball. It's gone now, but it sucked never the less.

Nice photo by the way. Looks like a male getting ready for love...why do I keep thinking of how to nail both with one shot ? LOL

Good luck this weekend,
Bob

Back