Browning BAR???

LUCKYDOG

I just got my Browning BAR 300 WSM back from getting a brake put on it. I'm going to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him mount the Zeiss Conquest V-4 6-24X50 scope I bought for it. I have owned a few BAR's but they were only buy and sell guns. I never even shot them. I have however, owned several Browning X-bolts and A-bolts through the years. Every single one of them have been excellent shooters. I'm only looking for good hunting accuracy out to 400 yards or so. What kind of accuracy should I expect tomorrow?

PS. I guess I should add, I'll be shooting Hornady ELD-X 210 grainers. My Kimber loves them. Both guns are a 1 in 10 twist rate. Thanks for any input!

1" to 1 1/2" three shot groups is pretty typical. I inherited one and did load work on two others for guys so my real world sample size is small.

With loads that it likes and if you manage the mushy trigger you could easily go sub 1" - 1.5". I keep a .243 Lwt. and an older steel frame .30-06 here and loaded ammo for an old Ozarker's steel frame .243. That is a sample size of three and all will shoot under 1" with a handload worked out for them individually. Those are four shot groups at 100 yards from a good bench with 3x9 scopes.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from my DBM .308.

I have always used the 5 shot standard but may lower the bar on this rifle and see how it does on 3 shots. It is, after all, a hunting rifle. Seems there is always at least one flier in every 5 shot group. Almost always have 3 or 4 that go moa out of 5 shots (eta: "with loads it likes" but mine is rather finicky in that regard)??

I suspect that it may be over-gassed as the action is rather robust. Launches brass into the next zip code, but have been reluctant to mess with it as it feeds anything you put in it flawlessly.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996
I suspect that it may be over-gassed as the action is rather robust. Launches brass into the next zip code,
Regards,
hm

Not unusual. I had a BAR several years ago that wouldn't hit a pig in the butt unless it was really fat. Tried everything I could and 2.25" was the best it did. And as you said, mine threw brass about 4 stations over at the range.

A friend had a BAR that would shoot sub-moa with his handholds, but the accuracy node came at quite a bit under max loads. Makes me wonder if the "overgassed" thought might have been in play with both of these rifles .........
huh.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Hidalgo. I may pursue that if I can find a smith who will tackle the BAR; it needs attention to the trigger, as well and I'm not not sure I want to tackle the job myself. Another reason I believe it may be a gas issue is that it will often put 4 shots in well under moa but always has one "flier" opening group up to 1.5 - 1.75 and usually stacks the brass in a similar manner. Have not been able to confirm the ejected case/bullet dispersion is the same round, however. Just a suspicion.

Regards,
hm

Back