My season in pictures

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
with family, work and weather this year i wasnt able to get out in the same capacity as i usually would like but i still managed a few adventures and photos along the way. here is a small journal of sorts with the photos and brief explanation as the season went along.
first was november before the snow came a coyote showed himself as i was glassing elk. lip squeaks brought it into 6 yards but its life was spared by the shooter bull hiding in the bush behind it that i was eying up.
PXL_20221101_153143948_exported_4615 by [/url], on Flickr

Dec10
made 2 quick stands mid day after work. on the second stand a coyote was called in from across a lake all the way to 20 yards when adrenaline took over my shooting skills and after a lot of holes in trees and an empty shotgun the coyote was killed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2omNpjm t=_blank]PXL_20221210_211810959.PORTRAIT by [/url], on Flickr

the call is one of my own handmade calls. coincidentally making calls was another reason i didnt get out as much this year.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2omN1XQ t=_blank]PXL_20221210_212411922.MP by [/url], on Flickr
dec 15
once more there was a window after work and after rushing to an area with new permission i found the dirt trail snowed in so a quick stand was made right on the road. this coyote made it to 35 yards before it got bit by the swarm of hornady 2's. tried to get a new perspective for this picture. still bugs me i didnt include my shotgun in the pic.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2omN2tV t=_blank]PXL_20221215_233423132.MP by [/url], on Flickr

with low prices on coyotes and an upcoming contest i decided to leave the coyotes at work alone to see how fast they got used to not being shot at. here is the results. a coyote woken up from his nap by me in the tractor not 60 yards away. photo was taken out the window of the tractor with a cellphone!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2omMaFh t=_blank]PXL_20221219_215614557.MP~2 by r, on Flickr

jan
with the contest i entered a long ways away from me i located new ground. here was found the most insane deadpile i have ever seen (this contest allowed baiting) at the most middle of nowhere feedlot.
during scouting over 20 coyotes were observed but with workers nearby and bad weather only one coyote was killed on hunt day.

PXL_20230114_213016327.MP~2 by [/url], on Flickr

feb 03
on this day driving around for work i witnessed daytime mating activity like i have never seen before with coyotes absolutely everywhere. the mrs who is in charge of my social media presence for the call business figured i should try and call some coyotes and get her some fresh pictures. not one to say no i cut out of work early. called a huge flat and as i was watching coyotes 900 yards away one snuck in right beside me and i flattened her with the shotgun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ogfatw t=_blank]PXL_20230204_001400603.PORTRAIT by r, on Flickr

feb 15
snow finally melted enough to make me at least think it would be possible to get to some new spots. after cursing and swearing my way through the snow to this spot i called this in heat famale in with high pitch cottontail sounds. just barely managed to sneak a bullet through the bushes to drop her at 75 yards. once again one of my hand built calls.
PXL_20230216_000213741.PORTRAIT by [/url], on Flickr
and finally march 3
no kill here but still a cool photo. once again taken from the cab of a tractor. i witnessed a mating pair fight off 2 single dogs from a deer carcass as i was feeding cows. they never payed me any mind even as i ran the bale shredder not 80 yards away.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2omNoUy t=_blank]PXL_20230303_225502482.MP by r, on Flickr

hope you folks enjoy.

Last edited:
Great photos. That one of the shotgun hulls on the snow is still probably my favorite. Thanks for sharing your journeys.

Very nice pictures, and stories to go with them.

I can appreciate the whole thing about making calls sometimes getting in the way of hunting. I started making calls last year, mostly closed reed, but a few open reed as well. From about middle of November until Christmas I was really snowed under. If my memory is right I have turned right around 60 calls since I started last year.

I really like calling up and killing coyotes with calls I have made myself.

These 4 I made for a guy to give as Christmas presents. All spalted pecan.

VJhRV2H.jpg

This one I made for a very good friend of mine, a Texas Game Warden who just last year hit 20 years of service. The 10K gold insert in the end was made from his high school ring that was melted down. I did not do the gold part, that was already done. I just built the call around it. But his wife and I really surprised him with it for Christmas.

XN1PqwU.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXVery nice pictures, and stories to go with them.

I can appreciate the whole thing about making calls sometimes getting in the way of hunting. I started making calls last year, mostly closed reed, but a few open reed as well. From about middle of November until Christmas I was really snowed under. If my memory is right I have turned right around 60 calls since I started last year.

I really like calling up and killing coyotes with calls I have made myself.

These 4 I made for a guy to give as Christmas presents. All spalted pecan.

VJhRV2H.jpg

This one I made for a very good friend of mine, a Texas Game Warden who just last year hit 20 years of service. The 10K gold insert in the end was made from his high school ring that was melted down. I did not do the gold part, that was already done. I just built the call around it. But his wife and I really surprised him with it for Christmas.

XN1PqwU.jpg

Those are some nice looking calls. I’m sure your warden friend was really pleased with the one for him.

He was very happy with it. Me and him go back a long ways. But, I don't want to hijack Yotarunners thread. Just wanted to give a shout out as a fellow call maker.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXHe was very happy with it. Me and him go back a long ways. But, I don't want to hijack Yotarunners thread. Just wanted to give a shout out as a fellow call maker.

No worries at all any good conversation is fine. Those calls are awesome! I love that cool spalted look.

Send me a pm, if you want a few blanks from that pecan I will send you some. I got those blanks out of a log I got at my wife's relatives in Arkansas, I chopped it up and stabilized it with Cactus Juice. It is hard but turns real nice. I've also got some nice looking Bois de Arc out of 75-100 year old fenceposts if you would like a little bit of it to try.

Yotarunner, that was a great account of your season. That’s a very nice looking open reed call in the snow, and the ghillie is great. I am envious of your bait site with all those coyotes present. I mainly hunt over bait and am pleased to have just one show up.

JTP, those pecan calls are gorgeous.

Back