For fun, what is your best shot you have made?

redhaze

Saw this on another forum, lots of interesting encounters.
Mine was on a jack rabbit with a single shot 22 back in the day, probably at around a 100 yards with 22 shorts.

I have a few!
Not on a critter, but I somehow managed to put a hole almost dead center in the small white circle on a outers/Redfield target while doing a just for the heck of it offhand shot at 100 yds.
On critters there are three, one was offhand shot at a buck from the top of a ridge @ app.200+yds., put the circle-X on the head of the deer, whose body was straight away from me with the head cocked to the side, and shot, deer disappeared and I thought I missed, walked down to the big pine that it was near and there it was laying against a big rock with the entrance hole in the corner of the eye.
A long time ago, there was a bird sitting on a branch at the top of a tree, aimed about 3', maybe more, over the top of it and killed it, with my BB gun, I think that I did miss it on the first shot though!
laugh.gif

While duck hunting, a single duck came flying across a field and it was pretty high, lead it by a mile, pulled the trigger and it folded and dropped like a rock, when cleaning it there appeared to be only one pellet in the neck.
Take your pick!!!
laugh.gif

Coyote at 600 plus running full bore,243 with 90 grain bullet.It was when I had hair and it was brown.Could not do it again if I tried it 1000 times.That was about 50 years ago.

Last edited:
Pit bull at full speed mid lunge in a dark room at point blank that its owner decided to release on me in an attempt to not go to jail. It crashed into my thigh just after the shot, felt the muzzle blast on my leg. Shot landed between the neck and shoulder, and surprisingly, it survived.

Best one on game still has to be standing on my parents deck I smoked a starling flying by with just my little pellet gun. Iv made thousands of wingshots since and it's still the best one.
With a rifle we had some guys at the range with more money than skill trying to shoot eggs at 500 yards. Said they had been blasting at em all weekend and nobody had connected. After taking 2 sighter shots at 200 yards I dialed the scope on my 6mmcreed held left edge and smoked the first egg! After some ribbing about lucky shots I loaded another and just barely clipped the second.
After that I put the rifle away for the day so they wouldn't realize I am nowhere near that good of a shot and just got lucky twice haha

I have 2. The first I was watching a turkey up on a ridge strut and gobble. A coyote came out of the tree line on the ridge about 150 yards up from it and made a bee line towards it.
I reached in my back door and grabbed an AR. Just figured I'd scare it. I knew the ridge was between 400 and 500 yards away. I held at least a foot over it's head and a foot in front and let off a shot shooting off hand. It let out a yelp and took off the way it came.
I really doubt it killed it but it may think about going after turkeys.
Now that I know more I could probably do it again but not sure about off hand.

The second time the old ladies grandpa was telling me he wanted me to check his zero on his 22-250. At the same time he told me he had just ate the last of his turkey and needed me to see if I can get him one sometime. I told him sure I would when I got time.
I walked out the back door to check the 22-250 and happened to see a turkey at the back of the field which I knew was around 300 yards.
The scope was a cheap Bushnell 3-9x40 but I could make it out ok.
I told me to try so I held a few inches above and a few inches to the left and shot.
It started flopping.
I drove back on the 4-wheeler and the turkey just stood there. I had hit him right in the eye. Besides taking out that eye apparently it blinded and stunned him. He didn't even try to get away. Didn't even know I was there. I finished him with another shot. Ended up being 330 yards. Could never make the shot again.

On preds I've got three. One my BinL missed one in deep snow and it was running full out, I swung on it and killed it but it slid through the snow looking like a snowplow snow billowing up off his nose. Two, a pair came in and I shot and missed, the coyote came running at me crossed over my feet and I laid on my back and took him going away. Three, I rolled one with the shotgun barrel and again charged right at me, killed him at two paces with the rifle barrel.

Waterfowl, a flock of six geese came in right on the deck to my duck decoys. I was focused on the head of one goose and folded him up and two more hit the water also, the limit was two. I packed all three home as I'd take the fine before I'd waste it. One shot with 7/8 oz of #6 Bismuth. Two were still alive I caught one and dog grabbed the other. I ended up hiding the decoys so I could get three geese and four ducks in my backpack it was a long hike to the game cart and then a mile back to the house.

Last edited:
Lots uf us "old timers" have probably made what could be construed as unreal shots.

Fact is, ammo was cheap and we got lucky.
Fact is also, a bullet has to land somewhere once fired.
Worst thing is...., missing a standing broadside shot at a 50 yard coyote.
crazy.gif

On an animal.
2 coyotes with one shot at around 200 yards.
Or a coyote at about 430 yards both with my thermal.
At the range.
Put a hole through the center of a .223 casing at 100 yards with my .308, still have that casing laying around

Twice in the same day, 4" of fresh snow, killed the first of a double when the second took off quartering at full speed. Both times when I shot the second of the pair they rolled end over end for 15-20 yards. Kind of leaves you feeling full of yourself, until on the very next stand I miss one standing broadside at 40 yards. Slammed back down to earth in a hurry. The miss turned out to be more memorable.
The most recent was in early January of this year. I bought an RPR in 6mm Creedmoor a couple of years ago and struggled to find a good use for it. I was about to sell it, but decided to mount my thermal on it, stick it on a tripod and give it one last chance. That is the perfect home. Anyway, 2nd night coyote of the year, came in through some cows, hung up there, sat and watched for awhile then started to leave. Turned on some fight and it sat down to watch some more. That red crosshair through a black coyote lets you know just how solid your hold really is. It was. I estimated 450 yards, elevated the crosshairs about 2 feet and squeezed. dumped him but didn't kill him. of course he was on the ground now and a much smaller target. I sent 4 more rounds to try and finish him but couldn't connect. Then I had to walk 484 yards, per ONX, and back, to dispatch him with a pistol. I had hit him below the sternum and took out the spine. All of this 6 weeks after getting a new left knee. I haven't decided yet if that one is a good memory, or bad.

Last edited:
Good posts...
I remember it like it was yesterday! My Grandpa and I were checking cattle in our old 80's green Silverado, the truck he taught me to drive in.

I had the old Nylon 66 all scoped up.

I saw a Coyote running out across what we call our waterhole field. At the time there was a waterdrive pivot on it, the circle was 140 acres, but the portion that we called the waterhole is about a 20 acre finger.

The Coyote was running away from us on the opposite end of the water hole, not straight away, not full value, quartering more so, at a lope.

I had to be 10 or 11 at the time, and stepped out of the truck, and remember holding WAY WAY high and right (Coyote was barely in the scope) and shooting once.

I'll probably never make that shot again, we stepped it off at over 400 large steps.

It's enjoyable to revive that experience from time to time.

I managed to shoot one at 730 yards in Kansas a couple of months ago. That son of a gun was hung up at the head end of a long draw and would not come in. The .22 Creedmoor took him out in short order.

My longest kill shot at night with my Infiray Rico - 428 yards
Bergara Ridgeback series 6mm Creedmor, 7” Ultra can, 87 Grain Hornady Varmint express

My longest shot on a day Coyote is 928 yards, didn’t anchor this coyote, we watched him spin, lay down, get up and then walked over a ridge.
Christensen Arms MPR 6mm Creedmoor, Ultra 9 Suppressor, Nightforce ATCR, Hornady Varmint Express 87 grain.

*Not a confirmed kill, a confirmed hit.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisMy longest kill shot at night with my Infiray Rico - 428 yards
Bergara Ridgeback series 6mm Creedmor, 7” Ultra can, 87 Grain Hornady Varmint express

My longest shot on a day Coyote is 928 yards, didn’t anchor this coyote, we watched him spin, lay down, get up and then walked over a ridge.
Christensen Arms MPR 6mm Creedmoor, Ultra 9 Suppressor, Nightforce ATCR, Hornady Varmint Express 87 grain.

*Not a confirmed kill, a confirmed hit.

That's still a heck of a shot...

Originally Posted By: redhazeThis is an entertaining thread, lots of incredible stories.

Sure was...thanks to all who have and will share...

Back