Quick video from the other night

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
Not a fancy Infidel video. He does an outstanding job editing and putting things together and telling a story. This is just me shooting 3 coyotes.

Killed 4 that night but didn't get the first one of a (true) double on the third stand recorded. You can see the first one of the double down between a couple of cows as I pan across though, tracking number 2. First one screamed a few times when I shot it, and the cows all came in and hovered around it.

Called some with my mouth calls, some with the Foxpro. Shooting a Rem 700 in 243, with 87 VMAX. Scope is a gen 1 Thermion XQ50. I know some folks don't care for the red monochrome but it does not trash my night vision the way some other color pallets do. Most of the coyotes around here right now are in and around cattle, so that is just part of it if you want to have some success.

Anyways, trying to help out with posting a little content here, and hope y'all enjoy the quick video.

https://rumble.com/v2c03bg-3-4-23-coyote-compilation.html

Nice Video! That last coyote went stiffer than a board when he was hit.

The fact that you are posting videos is a step in the right direction to achieving those "fancy" videos. It takes time, effort and dedication to master a craft of any kind. The first step to doing so is getting started. You are on your way! Well done.

Yeah, that 243 with 87 VMAX lays them down pretty hard. Not many runners with it.

I can put together a good video when I put the time into it, but it does take time and effort. This was just a quick throw together.

Thanks, always enjoy drt vids. Also, you got me thinking about the red. I do not mind the night blindness in one eye but would be nice not to have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmeddyThanks, always enjoy drt vids. Also, you got me thinking about the red. I do not mind the night blindness in one eye but would be nice not to have it.

Not to disrupt this thread but that particular mode helps reduce night blindness? I've never used anything but black or white heat so that's interesting to me. I'm nearly blind in my left eye so that's one thing that does bother me when using thermal. That's the only reason I ask. Are there others that don't do that nearly as bad?

Admittedly the first time I took my right eye away from thermal and couldn't see I was concerned. It freaked me out a little bit.

Last edited:
I really like the red monochrome. I guess being and old submariner I prefer the “rig for red”. Seems to help me with night blindness, and also eye strain at the end of a long night. Especially with these older eyes of mine. It isn’t quite as sensitive as white or black hot but that does not bother me, by the time they get close enough to shoot it is plenty good.

At night I do nearly all of my shooting standing off a tripod. For me it makes it much easier adapting to changing scenarios and multiples, which also happens more at night. A good tripod and good shooting form, plus a little practice and you can shoot very well from the standing position.

WTG. I'll run red monochrome on my scanner when I start feeling a little eye fatigue. It sure helps with that. Thanks for posting!

Well, I tried the red last night and realized that a very small amount of time is in the scope and I am already blinded by the scanner. Shoulda been a no-brainer but I am old and things don't register as quick as they used to--tehe.
Was kinda a neat look though.

Nice JPT! I've been wanting to watch this since you posted it but haven't had time. Finally just got to. Love how raw the footage is! That second one, waiting, waiting, waiting, settle the crosshair, bang!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: jmeddyWell, I tried the red last night and realized that a very small amount of time is in the scope and I am already blinded by the scanner. Shoulda been a no-brainer but I am old and things don't register as quick as they used to--tehe.
Was kinda a neat look though.

Do you scan and shoot with the same eye?

Back