Triggers

pyscodog

I got to the point of where I want my AR with exception of the trigger. Mil spec triggers suck. That's about the only way I can describe them. Mine is hovering right around 7 pounds, gritty and a bunch of take up. So I started looking and you can spend about as much for a trigger as you can for a barrel. I wanted a decent trigger without breaking the bank and decided on a Rise Armament. Seems most triggers either single stage or two stage hover around 3.5 pounds pull weight. Which compared to the 7 pound trigger I have now should be a nice improvement. I ordered one from Optics Planet yesterday afternoon and got an email that it shipped last night. Pretty quick service and got it cheaper than buying local even with tax. Shipping was free. So, after it gets here I'll see if a better trigger will improve the already decent groups my pawn shop rifle will shoot.

I had said time and time again that I'm not an AR guy but I have to admit its still fun messing with them and have already give thought to building a really nice AR. Something must be wrong with me but that 6 Arc is really starting to interest me. LOL

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI got to the point of where I want my AR with exception of the trigger. Mil spec triggers suck. That's about the only way I can describe them. Mine is hovering right around 7 pounds, gritty and a bunch of take up. So I started looking and you can spend about as much for a trigger as you can for a barrel. I wanted a decent trigger without breaking the bank and decided on a Rise Armament. Seems most triggers either single stage or two stage hover around 3.5 pounds pull weight. Which compared to the 7 pound trigger I have now should be a nice improvement. I ordered one from Optics Planet yesterday afternoon and got an email that it shipped last night. Pretty quick service and got it cheaper than buying local even with tax. Shipping was free. So, after it gets here I'll see if a better trigger will improve the already decent groups my pawn shop rifle will shoot.

I had said time and time again that I'm not an AR guy but I have to admit its still fun messing with them and have already give thought to building a really nice AR. Something must be wrong with me but that 6 Arc is really starting to interest me. LOL
You can shoot with a crappy trigger, but a nice trigger is a welcome addition.
Also, most budget AR's are going to have a basic, M4 type stock.
A stock that provides a decent cheek weld is a plus, even if it's a USGI A2 buttstock.

I have all the parts inbound for a 6ARC bolt gun.

my timney was one of the early upgrades i did to my lower. i got a good deal on a used one locally and omg.

that said these days - the RA-140 is hard to beat for the $. especially when they come on sale.

i scored a black Friday deal where they were $75 and bought several of them. i think i have 5 of them now? maybe 6. between the family and friends group its closer to a dozen of them in use here in guns i know about.

h#lluva upgrade from as noted a gritty milspec.

in the lowers that i dont have a nicer trigger in, i have the Anderson stainless triggers. those seem to be a bit smoother feel than the standard phosphate milspec stuff. still pretty stiff, but nothing a spring upgrade cant fix.

the JP reliability kits with the yellow 3.5-4lb trigger and red hammer spring is a decent combo fwiw when trying to improve the feel of a mil spec setup if you're trying to eek out a little extra for a value... defiantly $10 well spent kinda thing

I have CMC single stage both 2.5 and 3.5 lb triggers in all my AR's. For my use and what they cost, I have no complaints and they've all been great.

I've bought nearly all of mine from Joe Bob Outfitters and they usually have them for as good a price as anyone as well as their service has been stellar to date.

Can't beat a LaRue mbt2 trigger fir the price if you like a 2 stage. Not the lightest but very crisp and consistent for under $100.

I ordered the RA 242 with the flat shoe. Optics Planet had it for $109 (IIRC) plus about $10 tax and free shipping. I also put a Luth-AR MB4 rear stock on it. Rides the bag way better now. I think this all helps accuracy. I'm looking for the little spacer that moves the grip back about half an inch so I use the tip of my finger on the trigger instead the middle of it but I've yet to find one of them. They use to be around years ago but not having any luck finding them today. Amazing how much you can spend on a cheap AR just to get it comfortable to shoot. Now its not so much of a cheap AR.

Originally Posted By: MPFDLarue MBT is the best cheap trigger you can get, Geissele is the best.
I agree.
That's it in a nutshell.

I don't like cassette type triggers because most of them require special pins and some kind of retainage on the outside of the receiver.
Buttonheads, dog bones, E-clips or C-clips.

Originally Posted By: B23I have CMC single stage both 2.5 and 3.5 lb triggers in all my AR's. For my use and what they cost, I have no complaints and they've all been great.

I've bought nearly all of mine from Joe Bob Outfitters and they usually have them for as good a price as anyone as well as their service has been stellar to date.

I bought a few from them when they had a sale for $119 each. I like them a lot.

I've used the Rise triggers before and I think they are a vast improvement over a mil-spec. My friend has a Geissel and its nice but still a 3.5 pound trigger at twice the cost of the Rise. Not saying its not a good trigger, just more expense to get the same effect.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've used the Rise triggers before and I think they are a vast improvement over a mil-spec. My friend has a Geissel and its nice but still a 3.5 pound trigger at twice the cost of the Rise. Not saying its not a good trigger, just more expense to get the same effect.
There's different types of Geissele triggers.
It's not one model.
I like 'em because it's the mil-spec design, perfected.

Originally Posted By: DirectDriveOriginally Posted By: MPFDLarue MBT is the best cheap trigger you can get, Geissele is the best.
I agree.
That's it in a nutshell.

I don't like cassette type triggers because most of them require special pins and some kind of retainage on the outside of the receiver.
Buttonheads, dog bones, E-clips or C-clips.

I agree completely. I've had problems with "cassette" type triggers like CMC not striking primers hard enough when using M193/855 and my cmmg 22 lr kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DirectDriveOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI've used the Rise triggers before and I think they are a vast improvement over a mil-spec. My friend has a Geissel and its nice but still a 3.5 pound trigger at twice the cost of the Rise. Not saying its not a good trigger, just more expense to get the same effect.
It's not one model.

I'm fully aware there is more than one design. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: DirectDriveOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI've used the Rise triggers before and I think they are a vast improvement over a mil-spec. My friend has a Geissel and its nice but still a 3.5 pound trigger at twice the cost of the Rise. Not saying its not a good trigger, just more expense to get the same effect.
It's not one model.

I'm fully aware there is more than one design. Different strokes for different folks.

The 3.5# is split into two stages in a SSA-E first stage is 2.3 lbs and the break is 1.2 lbs for a total pull weight of 3.5 pounds. It's really more compareable to a savage accutrigger than it is a single stage 3.5# like the rise.

I think a trigger upgrade is necessary if you want to have better precision for sure. I've got a few 2 stages with JP springs. They are good.

I just got into a few more expensive ones over the past couple years on some newer builds like the Triggertech Diamond, and the CMC drop ins. I'm really really liking them.

With my Benchrest background, I don't care for 2 stage triggers.

I have a Rise trigger on one, and have done a couple others with the screw in the grip screw to eliminate the 1st stage.

I used a 3-3.5lb Rise Armament “Patriot” trigger in my .243 AR10 Thermal gun a built. Trigger was like 140.00 on sale and I love it. Super crisp and clean pull. I was skeptical for the price compared too higher end triggers but I’m now a believer.

The Geisselle SSA-E can often be found on sale for $150. At that price, I believe this is the best trigger you can buy for the money if you like a 2-stage.

I have used Rock River triggers in all of my competition Service Rifles, as well as my hunting guns. Available in 3.5 lb & 4.5 lb. Simply install and go shooting. Excellent trigger with no adjustments to do initially or periodically down the road. One of mine has in excess of 15,000 cycles on it and is still doing fine. Yes, that's 15K. And can be found for about $75. If you feel the need to alter one to make the 2nd stage REALLY light, there is a way to do that.

Back