Scope ring height problem

I have 2 rifles with Nightforce Picatinny rails. One is a Savage 10 Predator 22-250 and the other a Vanguard Badlands in .308.
I can't find rings that make the scope sit very low with either gun. They make it feel more like a chin weld.
I hadn't shot the Savage for a long time and forgot about that problem until I ran in to the same problem with the Weatherby.
I tried 4 sets of low rings from Leupold, Vortex and a cheap pair of SIG I had sitting around.
I tried 3 scopes with 40, 42 and 44 objective lenses with 1" and 30mm tubes.
Doing research it seems the only really low rings I can find are the cheap steel ones that come on factory guns with weaver mounts. I really don't want to go that route. They don't look very sturdy. The Leupold rifleman rings are the only name brand ones I can find around to look at.

Is this just an issue with Picatinny rails? Does anyone know any really low rigs or Do I need to buy a 2 piece mount from DNZ? I like their mounts. I just found the Nightforce for a good price. Thanks for any help.

Put a kydex cheek piece on your stocks? Easy fix.

T9CvSp.jpg

I did look at them but don't want to do anything permanent. I may go that route with one that straps or slips on, or may just buy some DNZ or Talley mounts or do both. The scope still sits up too high in my opinion.
I'm starting to feel like the Picatinny mounts create more problems than anything else unless you have a scope with a huge objective lense/bell.

I use a number of butt bags that use straps to attach, from Amazon they are very inexpensive and work. If they arent high enough a piece of neoprene cut from an old pair of waders works tape it in place with painters tape and put the put the butt bag over it.

There are any number of ways to lower your scope it just takes some creative thinking. More than one base has had the back base ground down so I could move the scope far enough forward and still turn the power ring. Weaver rails with the cross slots file big enough for picatiny rings and Weaver style rings will fit a picatiny rail just be sure to slide them all the way forward in the cross slots. I've even made rings to fit Euro claw mounts.

Amazon is a good place to buy rings as you can find the with free returns if they don't work for you.

Last edited:
Set the scope up with shims of some kind, then measure the height that works for you. If that is a no go I agree with GC in above post.

Originally Posted By: topweldor1Set the scope up with shims of some kind, then measure the height that works for you. If that is a no go I agree with GC in above post.
This ^^^
That takes care of the ring height that you need.

Then you have to adjust your "eye box"
The fore-aft place that the scope has to be so when you naturally mount the gun, the scope's eye box is in the right place.
Adjust eye box with scope set on full power.

Don't be a "stock crawler" LOL !

Once eye box is set, then you'll know if you can put both mounts on the receiver or if you need a cantilever mount.

Scope mounting is a simple thing, but it can be time-confusing and expensive if you don't think it through.

Originally Posted By: GCIf it were me I'd ditch the high rail and go with a lower base/ring combination.
It's not really a high rail or at least not supposed to be. It's just a Picatinny rail. They are higher than a weaver but I liked the idea of having all the adjustments I may need for scope placement. I was thinking with low rings it would be good
I ordered a low 2-piece DNZ mount for the Vanguard. That should fix it. I think for the Savage I'll order a cheap cheek riser.

Back