Read The Coyote Part 2

I replied to the first thread not realizing this thread was a continuation of it. I guess it is easy to say after the fact but that coyote did about what I expected it to. Even though I did feel like there was a fair chance it would come straight in at first because it was coming pretty hard, once it started shading downwind a bit that sealed it for me. Usually once they start indicating that tendency it just gets more pronounced the closer they come.

I would say in my experience "most" of the ones that come straight in never even think of circling. Their mind is made up and they are coming. That is unless something gives them a reason to change their mind. Most of the ones that circle are showing some tendency, however minor, of that from a good ways out.

I think it's especially hard to learn to read coyotes when you are fitst starting out. A lot of folks get excited, which we all pretty much do, but they jump the gun and start shooting too soon.

I learned to read them in my first couple of years by missing or screwing up a stand. But those early mistakes got logged away in my "how to" book.

I am by no means perfect but I've gotten better at reading them and I'm definitely better at setting up my stands.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoI think it's especially hard to learn to read coyotes when you are fitst starting out. A lot of folks get excited, which we all pretty much do, but they jump the gun and start shooting too soon.

I learned to read them in my first couple of years by missing or screwing up a stand. But those early mistakes got logged away in my "how to" book.

I am by no means perfect but I've gotten better at reading them and I'm definitely better at setting up my stands.

So true Mo. I was just telling my hunting partner last night that in order to kill coyotes we have to be willing to risk not killing some. It is very tempting to take the first "available shot" and all too often that turns out to not be a decent shot at all. At least it may not the best shot we could have gotten if we had just been willing to let the stand play out. It takes some time to learn to read their body language as you're trying to point out.

Yea, I am still learning to read and don't figure I will ever get it right all the time. I have made progress on letting it play out, but I have always said "take the first good shot presented because it may be the only one given".

Back