Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerI take back everything I said about timeline. I was informed today that it's been pushed back again...

I've got plenty, but I feel for those who don't. Sucks.

Didn't you have end of March in the pool? Dang it, I knew I should have bet you, that'd been easy money. lol

I wonder how many asked if the 223 or the 30-06 was here to stay? I'd bet back in the day the same questions were asked about many different cartridges. My thought is its here. Maybe not be flying off the shelves and ammo is a little tough to find but its here already and probably not going anywhere. I still see ammo and NIB rifles for sale and companies are still making them do I'd have to say, ya, its here to stay.

I really want the Franklin armory F17L but am worried about the 17 wsm fading away, cant find ammo anywhere. Does anyone here have experience Shooting this riffle?

I have been looking online since savage announced the a17 wsm and
they have never been in stock. I emailed Savage last year asking
about the release and they said it was delayed.

I was wanting a 17 wsm but then I couldn't find any ammo. My uncle has one and he hasn't seen any either, but he has plenty already. I went to ammoseek and I literally got 9 hits and it's extremely expensive so I threw that idea away.

Winchester made a run of it recently but I don't think they made a whole lot of it when they did. It showed up in small quantities at a few different locations but it was in fairly small amounts and most of it got snatched up relatively quickly.

Last week I saw a couple places online that had some 15gr 17 WSM ammo for sale and last I looked it hadn't sold out yet but same as the other it doesn't appear as though Winchester made a very big run of it either.

It's almost as if Winchester made just enough to say they made some and get us to quit b1tching at them about their typical lack of support for their own cartridges.

Winchester does a good job creating these good WSM cartridges, both rimfire & centerfire, then totally drops the ball and nearly ghosts the WSM's with minimal at best ammo support. They need to go to Hornady College so they can learn how to support their own creations the same way Hornady has with their Creedmoor's and now the different PRC cartridges.

My .17 HMR actually started life as a Ruger 77/22 mag, I put a Green Mountain .17 barrel on it (22" fluted) and it shoots way better than the factory Ruger .22 mag barrel did. I like it. Deadly on crows and similar size targets.

Mine goes with me everywhere, I love that thing. I know of over a dozen coyotes, that didn’t like it one bit. It’s here to stay. They’ve spread like wildfire around my part of the country

I have the bmag pencil barrel with the cheap plastic stock. Had to shave some of the stock off the left to make it free floating but it shoots quarters at 150 yards with 15 and 20 grain. That’s cold bore shots, shoot once let it cool. Which is fine for me for hunting. Winchester 25s are ok but I think my twist rate just doesn’t handle them as well. Do Not buy the browning 25 grain, it is horrible. Have had no problems dropping coyotes at 100-150 yards with the Hornady and Winchester 20 grain. Outdoor limited and target sports USA have Winchester ammo by the cases. I bought 2 cases this week😁 I love it because of the center fire restrictions during deer and elk season here, can still go and call coyotes with it

Has anyone seen the Savage a17 wsm available anywhere?
They are currently shipping. I have one, but have not had decent weather, on a day I've been available, to finish my initial range testing. I'm hoping to try again after the New Year.

20231213_215733-01.jpeg

I picked up a Savage B-Mag about 2 months ago. I've only had a chance to go out once, and only to 100 yards. Shot just under and inch. I'll have more free time to shot after the new year. I bought it to night hunt predators on Michigan public land.
I was also worried about the ammo availability but about a month ago Scheels had the 20 grain ammo available and I picked up 1500 rounds. Should last me a while.

It's not terrible, but it's not great. I plan on adjusting it to where I like it.
Eric, if the trigger assembly is anything like the one in my A17 17HMR you can make them better, but, it will take some doing and depending on how "good" you want it it can be a long arduous process. I spent the better part of half a day working on the trigger in my A17 HMR but I was able to get it from a completely horrible heavy notchy crunchy POS unusable trigger down to right around 2lbs with just a teenie tiny bit of creep/pretravel.

With the 17 WSM requiring a heavier strike on the case head which means stiffer springs it'll be interesting to see what all can be done with the trigger in a 17 WSM A17

Back