Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerNope. The 17WSM is on it's way out...

Announced today: https://www.varminter.com/savage-arms-adds-17-wsm-to-its-a-series-rifle-line/

I know this is a year old but since Shot Show 2023 just wrapped up and you were there is there any word on what's going on with the ammo situation for the 17 WSM?

I'm not sure if Savage ever actually released any new A17 17WSM's for sale did they?

I haven't seen any, new stock, 17WSM ammo for almost two years now.

I've always been a big fan but things aren't looking good for just about anything 17WSM related.

Originally Posted By: B23
I haven't seen any, new stock, 17WSM ammo for almost two years now.

i have about 6 cases and now nothing to shoot it with. maybe someday a good guy will bring my rifle back. ha,ha, yeah right.

Said it before and saying it again...they should have
made that same case, but with 20 caliber bullets if
they really wanted something new and different. Too many
of us were/are happy with our 17hmr's, and if it won't
do the job, we reach for a small CF caliber.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneSaid it before and saying it again...they should have
made that same case, but with 20 caliber bullets

I agree and about from the start have said a 20 WSM shooting something like the Hornady 24gr NTX 3000fps would have been more appealing, to me, than yet another 17 cal rimfire cartridge.

That's nothing against the 17 WSM because I've been a big fan of it from the start but I would have been an even bigger fan of a 20 WSM.

But, then I'd probably just be even more disappointed when Winchester dropped the ball on something I really liked, like it appears they're doing with the 17 WSM.

Winchester needs to take some lessons from Hornady on how to properly promote and support their products because Winchester pretty much sucks at it and Hornady clearly has it figured out with the one exception being the 17HH. Hornady definitely has a lot of room for improvement supporting their 17HH but that's another top for another time.

Originally Posted By: B23
Winchester needs to take some lessons from Hornady on how to properly promote and support their products because Winchester pretty much sucks at it and Hornady clearly has it figured out...
I was there when the 17HMR was introduced and I bought one. It was very difficult to buy ammo for a long time, because Hornady wasn't making enough of it. Store shelves were always empty, I had to order online when it was available. Took a few years to sort out the supply issue.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI'd like to get a JARD .17WSM upper. That thing looks pretty sweet. It'd be a prairie dog killin machine.

I'm sure they would be, IF, you could get any ammo to shoot in it but since 17WSM ammo has been nonexistent for going on two years now with no change in the ammo supply happening any time soon, it may not be a very good purchase for anyone.

It has to really suck for the folks that spent 4-5+ grand on those very nice custom Rimx 17WSM builds then have nothing to shoot in them.

I was kind of hoping there would be something, anything, talked about in regard to the 17 WSM after shot show 2023 but that's been over for a month now and I haven't heard a single word mentioned about, anything, 17 WSM related. Hope I'm wrong but it isn't looking very good for the 17 WSM or its future.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI'd like to get a JARD .17WSM upper. That thing looks pretty sweet. It'd be a prairie dog killin machine.

I'm sure they would be, IF, you could get any ammo to shoot in it but since 17WSM ammo has been nonexistent for going on two years now with no change in the ammo supply happening any time soon, it may not be a very good purchase for anyone.

It has to really suck for the folks that spent 4-5+ grand on those very nice custom Rimx 17WSM builds then have nothing to shoot in them.

I was kind of hoping there would be something, anything, talked about in regard to the 17 WSM after shot show 2023 but that's been over for a month now and I haven't heard a single word mentioned about, anything, 17 WSM related. Hope I'm wrong but it isn't looking very good for the 17 WSM or its future.

I picked up a few boxes of the 15 grain Winchester Varmint X for my buddies B-Mag a few months ago. I find it every now and then but I ain't seen any 20 or 25 grain bullets in a while. I'm sure it's still being made but I don't know that for a fact. I wonder if a guy could email Winchester and get a definitive answer?

Winchester hasn't made a run of 17 WSM in a longggg time so anything that is out there is old stock.

I did just read where someone got a response from Winchester claiming "we should" be making a production run of 17 WSM in March. Always makes me skeptical when I hear things like "we should" instead of, we are, so who really knows but they didn't say they weren't so there is still hope.

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerI was told at SHOT by Winchester, that they were doing a run of 20 grain that week and 25 grain would happen in a couple of months.

That's interesting. Someone posted a email response from "Product Service Manager Winchester Ammunition" on RFC where they said "We should be making a production run in March of product# S17W20 (the 17 WSM 20gr polymer tipped bullet)."

If a third person asked they'd probably get a, third, different response which is surprising considering manufacturers never fib to us. LOL

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI went to a local gun show today and saw quite a bit of WSM ammo on the tables. Around $20 a box.

You should have bought it then resold it for 25-30 bucks a box.

The life of a cartridge is determined by the rifle manufacturers. They don't make a rifle for it, it will soon be a distant memory.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerI was told at SHOT by Winchester, that they were doing a run of 20 grain that week and 25 grain would happen in a couple of months.

That's interesting. Someone posted a email response from "Product Service Manager Winchester Ammunition" on RFC where they said "We should be making a production run in March of product# S17W20 (the 17 WSM 20gr polymer tipped bullet)."

If a third person asked they'd probably get a, third, different response which is surprising considering manufacturers never fib to us. LOL

We should start a pool. I'll choose the last week of March and the first week of April for the 20 grainers. Problem is, will they be able to manufacture enough to keep up with the huge demand there is right now?

Really makes me glad I stocked up on several thousand of the 20 grainers from Hornady and Winchester before this shortage hit. Thought it was way overkill at the time but couldn't have foreseen it going on 2-3 years without more supply. Hopefully Eric is right and production is just delayed but will start again in the near future.

I take back everything I said about timeline. I was informed today that it's been pushed back again...

I've got plenty, but I feel for those who don't. Sucks.

Back