Jard .243 WSSM?

ScottyP

Does anyone have any experience with the Jard J18 .243WSSM? I have decided my next thermal rig will be a .243 wssm. I really want a sidecharging upper also. I messaged Dtech on FB. They did say they now offer a sidecharging upper, but there is no info on their website. Im currently running an Aero AR10 in .243 Win and love it (other than the weight). I have gotten into handloading and I am after fast and flat for my thermal gun. I’m currently shooting 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips, 58gr Vmax, and 60gr Sierra Varminter HPs in my 10 twist. I hope to shoot the same bullets in the WSSM. I’m just starting my research on this, I know that I really want a Dtech in a sidecharging upper, but I stumbled on to the Jard J18. Anyone have any experience with these?

Even though I’m probably a year or two out on this whole thing, I have already started buying some brass. I bought 200 cases of once fired Winchester cases from an individual locally for 50 bucks. I have been watching Gunbroker and have also managed to snag another 100 brand new Winchester cases and 100 brand new Starline cases. Paid 45.00 per 50 on the Winchester and 42.00 for the Starline. I have been surprised with the amount of brass available on GB. Even more surprised with the prices. Even though I have to pay shipping, I didn’t think that 45.00 per 50 cases was too bad. I have a little mandrel annealer so I hope to make this brass work for a few firings.

Last edited:
I replied to your thread in reloading also. I used to have a dtech 243 wssm, loved it but I didn't want to have to rebarrel it so I sold it before it got to "aged". I considered the Jard, but couldn't find anything but bad reviews. I would avoid, heck even when I called Jard they said the best bet was to call Dtech, who now uses their parts for the builds. So you're basically getting a Jard with a good barrel.

Your 400 cases will last a long time, probably the life of the barrel if I were to guess. That's as long as the once fired aren't too expanded to fit what will most likely be a chamber on the minimum side of the specs. Hornady was making it too btw.

How long is Dtech's lead time now?

" I considered the Jard, but couldn't find anything but bad reviews. I would avoid, heck even when I called Jard they said the best bet was to call Dtech, who now uses their parts for the builds. So you're basically getting a Jard with a good barrel."

Well said!

I have not had a conversation with Dtech other than me messaging them about a side charger. This is hearsay, but last I heard Dtech was 6-10 months but that is strictly hearsay. I plan on calling them soon, to learn more about the side charger and to get an official quote. This forum seems too have more info on the .243 wssm than anywhere else. But a lot of that info was back from when Mike ran the company. I’ve been told he has retired but once again that is all hearsay. I think Dtech is the way to go, but everytime you Google .243 WSSM that Jard J18 always pops up. Upper is actually not priced terrible, but I’m hoping my next thermal gun is the one that I stick with forever. I started coyote hunting several years ago with a .223, I quickly upgraded to a thermal on a .22-250 bolt gun. That turned into me building a heavy [beeep] AR10 in .243 and learning to handload. For thermal I really like fast and flat, and my .243 doesn’t have many runners when I do my job. I’ve found out that I really enjoy handloading and love the speed and stopping power of the .243. I was hoping too continue with this caliber and ballistics but go to a slightly smaller framed AR. I actually even skin a handful of the good yotes I shoot throughout the year, I’m obviously not getting rich but it can pay for a jug of powder. Surprisingly the 60gr Sierra Varminter HPs I shoot are half assed fur friendly out of the .243 win but hit like Thor’s hammer. I’m hoping to get them too shoot well out of the WSSM.

Used one of Mike's 243 WSSM's for years helping a landowner control coyotes on three ranches. Super accurate, not very fur friendly, but was the hammer of Thor. Used it to cull WT does and hogs also. Unfortunately, landowner later banned all AR's on his property and I had to part with the rifle.

35573035422_acf1b4333c_w.jpg

Mike gave me his pet load using Varget behind 87 gr. Hornady BTHP. Can't find my loading data now, but velocity was a shade over 3000 fps.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 204 AR I considered the Jard, but couldn't find anything but bad reviews. I would avoid, heck even when I called Jard they said the best bet was to call Dtech, who now uses their parts for the builds. So you're basically getting a Jard with a good barrel.

There is a little story behind our WSSM parts. Back about 20 years ago, I helped Olympic Arms get the WSSM on the AR-15 platform to market. I used their parts for years. Olympic announced that they were going out of business, so I had to start looking for a new source for the parts.

I knew JARD produced uppers chambered in WSSM, but I had some experience with them and I did not like their system. Their gas-system was especially a design I didn’t want to use. After conversing with JARD over the phone, Matt and I decided to make the journey to talk with them at their facility.

I completely changed the design of the barrel-extension, the receiver, and several other parts that over the years proved to be problematic. JARD agreed to build the parts to our specifications for us, but after seeing the end product, they asked if we would mind if they abandoned their platform and marketed uppers using our design. We didn’t have any problem with that as we felt it would probably be better for us if they were using the same parts. We felt with both of us using the same design, parts for us might be more readily available.

So that, in a nutshell, is how Dtech and JARD ended up using the same parts.

Mike, I’m not sure if it was you I messaged on messenger awhile back, but I had hear you guys were offering the WSSM’s in side charging uppers? I’m planning on ordering a .243 wssm and really want to get it from you guys since y’all are the standard. Is a side charger an option now??

ScottyP, no, it wasn’t me you’ve communicated with. You would have been working with Matt.

I have been pretty much out of the day-to-day work at the shop for some time now. I “retired” some time ago and Matt has been running the show.

Best to check with Matt, but as far as I know, side-charge is an option.

Back