March a tough month?

I don't find it a whole lot different other than they are more warry. They come in looking for trouble.

February is probably my favorite month to call with March being a close second. Mated coyotes have their territory staked out and are protecting it vigorously, unmated coyotes sometimes run in herds.
As AWS said, they come in looking for trouble.

Nov/Dec tends to seem to be our hit or miss months out west...

You just have to switch up calls...I use a 3 strikes rule...I call a stand 3 times the same way...if nothing shows time to switch up ONE thing...sub in a new call, call longer, louder, etc...then call 3 more stands that way when they show up you'll know what call/sequence and you'll lock back in on them...

We have to remember also that there has been a bunch shot off ,then low and behold after talking about the hard chargers I have one sneak in over my right shoulder this morning to 20 yards from me and then he is gone.

I usually shut down calling in Feb or March. I am not an ADC guy, though I am planning on going out to AZ in the not to distant future, to help/learn from a friend that has some contracts with ranches out there.

I am a sport hunter and collect fur when the money is worth it, IMO. Trapping and ADC is too much work for me.

March is tough because the mate is over and coyotes have denning on their minds. Their territory is reduced to the area near their dens. You have to get in tight. It can be easy/quick if you are in the coyote's literal backyard, but more general cold-calling is a lot tougher. Also, the population of coyotes is at about the lowest it will be for the year.

March has been nothing but a dud for me. Been out 3 times and have yet to call anything in. I think it’s time to put the lid on the 22/23 coyote season.

I love March. Use nothing but vocals and get plenty of action.

I love the fact that nearly every coyote we call in vocally responds before coming in to the call.

Get's tough for guys around here in March after everyone calls them non-stop in Februrary. There are very few pockets of unpaired coyotes left that are willing to travel to calls, and the paired ones refuse to leave the security of their territory(but will respond and warn your vocals to stay out).
Coyote numbers are at their lowest as well and can't call what's either not there or smarter.
Best advice I have for guys this time of year, is to find those pairs(ones that respond to warn you but won't come) and rather than trying to call them from open fields, you go inside their territory and provoke their safety as an intruder.
"This is the way.."

Originally Posted By: songdogI love March. Use nothing but vocals and get plenty of action.

I love the fact that nearly every coyote we call in vocally responds before coming in to the call.

I couldn't agree more!

" love March. Use nothing but vocals and get plenty of action.

I love the fact that nearly every coyote we call in vocally responds before coming in to the call."

Amen.
_

March gives me the most aggressive response (when I'm close to thier Denning area), usually when I'm not close enough they howl and won't show, then I cut the distance in half and I would say 70% of the time they come in looking for a fight, I should say all I am using is howls and pup distress

Me nor the land owners in my area hear much howling at this time of year. Kinda against what l read on here but is a fact. August and September seems to be when they are most vocal in my neck of the woods.

Back