Snow Angels - a story of a coyote double

todbartell

7x82MNN.jpg

Daybreak had me snowshoeing into a field bordering a willow choked swamp. I started with a series of lone howls and had a bunch of coyotes approx 800 yards to the north of me howling back. Then three coyotes much closer howled from the swamp. I could see one on the edge of willow 200 yards away as I slooowwlly moved the tripod and rifle that direction. I switched to a coyote whimper/whine sound and they came in quick single file. The front coyote stopped at 108 yards and the 223 barked, sending the coyote down and flopping around. I reloaded and got on the second coyote, it was just frozen staring my way but there was a small tree blocking a shot. That's when the first coyote began to yelp - the second coyote tore off towards it and was on the wounded coyote within seconds, biting at its back end. It took a few seconds for the coyote to offer a standing shot, the 53gr Nosler sent it into an egg beater death spin. The coyote taking up the rear was long gone. Double Down! I kept calling and had a coyote come to the edge of the willow about 10 minutes later, but it seen me move the gun and it was outta there. A heavy drag back to the truck - male and female in good shape

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
have called and killed coyotes over 50 years. only twice in all that time i have actually seen a coyote attack one i had just shot. it is a neat thing to see.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnothave called and killed coyotes over 50 years. only twice in all that time i have actually seen a coyote attack one i had just shot. it is a neat thing to see.

I was really surprised! Pretty neat thing to get to see

Healthy looking pair! I've hunted for many years and taken quite a few doubles. Number 2 will often show curiosity but have never had one attack the other. Good hunting.

Back