Other coyotes reaction to subsonic shots

dmr400

With some interesting new technology coming, like super fast twist barrels for 300 blackout and 8.6 blackout, laser rangefinders integrated into thermal scopes, and the most interesting pulsar announcing an integrated ballistic calculator/holdover in their new firmware, all the reasons I dismissed subsonic loads for coyote hunting are starting to see possible solutions.

What I'm wondering is if it is worth the hassle. Let's say you have two coyotes in a field, a couple hundred yards apart. On baits, called in, mousing, shoot just laying in the grass taking a nap. Currently using supersonic through a supressor, if I shoot one of them the other is going on high alert and probably leaving at least for a while. Sometimes you can stop them with a bark or a kiyi and get another shot, but not most of the time. Pretty rare indeed they have no reaction at all

Does anyone have any experience with their reaction when using subsonic loads? I'm guessing it will make it possible to kill more coyotes without waiting them out returning, but I don't know that. They are such skittish animals I'm not sure that just the thump of a bullet impacting won't get them spooked some. Looking forward to hearing others experiences, thanks.

Short answer is run regular ammo IMO. There are so many variables as to how well a coyote will hear the report of the shot for both supersonic or sub. Even with all the advancement in LRFs, ballistic solvers and equipment upgrades, you still can't escape the poor ballistic performance of subsonic ammo at any range. Just the slow time of flight (TOF) is enough to rule out subs for me.

The only way I would even consider any type of subsonic would be at a bait site 100 yards or less, preferably 50, where the animal isn't moving around a lot and is occupied eating or if I had to kill them really really close to occupied dwelling.

Neither of those is my style or way I hunt so supersonic is really my only choice. Sure I can bang steel at stupid long range thats static but a LOT can happen from the time you pull the trigger until impact when you are calling coyotes that are constantly running, moving, changing directions at all different yardages and speeds, I want that bullet to get there immediately.

Last edited:
I've used Subs before, and the only way to be really effective at a short range is have multiple zero's or holds from 100 yards and in.
The ballistics are literally that of a bow and arrow at that range.

For example, we didn't use our Mod1 over bait, and have still had success with it. The two major issues you are going to have is, one what I mentioned above, you need to know your range or you are going to miss. A 50 yard zero is a miss at 100 yards with a 220 going 900fps. I have a 50, 75 and 100 yard zero with my Blackout. For rapid engagement, a FFP with and effective reticle is key, you're going to want to hold over, not dial.

The other issue is ballistic performance. The terminal ballistics is not good on subsonic rounds. You want hyrdrostatic shock, IMHO. I want lock up tip over done, not only for video purposes, but because as a Rancher, a Hunter, and a Marksman, it's what I train to do.

Also, I would note. If you aren't planning on running this build on a bolt rifle, you are not optimizing your system. I know AR's are are awesome and definitely have their place. You have moving parts that are not within your control, and if you want the quietest possible, you want to be able to manipulate the bolt when you want to or need to.

OR, take a long hard look at some of the new air rifles out there, I have an FX Impact MKII and M3, ridiculously accurate, and quiet. Just a consideration.

If you need any info I'd be sure to help.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen, good info for sure. I suppose I didn't get my question across very well, so I'll try to summarize it better:

If there are multiple coyotes in your vicinity, and you shoot one with a subsonic load, how do the other coyotes react? If there is no to little change in how they react to a suppressed supersonic shot then dealing with the inherent limitations of subsonic ammo isn't worth it to me. However if it doesn't disturb other coyotes say 200 yards away, it very much might be.

As an aside, there have been a lot of advancements lately in bullets for this application, and with the new pulsar firmware update promising a corrected holdover based on the integrated LRF/ballistics calculator it could solve a lot of the problems listed above, I hope! Those reasons are why I haven't pursued this yet. Doing this for a living full time, I get very upset when I let any get away!

There is no definitive answer as to what a coyotes reactions will be, period. There are a plethora of factors like distance of the shot, how well it can hear the shot (wind direction makes a huge difference), is the coyote previously educated, is the coyote alone or with its mate and reluctant to leave, the list goes on.

What I can 100% assure you is all coyotes react differently and suppressors will help you kill more multiples on the same stand by far AND subsonic ballistics sucks regardless of ballistic solvers and bullet metallurgy.

You can't change science, leave the subs alone and keep stacking with what's proficient.

Only use supersonic ammo, and admittingly the Sig SRD is not the quietest can, but I will say that coyotes along with the one that just got dumped (and the loner that I miss on 1st shot) will frequently run TOWARD me initially. Their attention goes at or downrange of where they were standing as that is where they hear the crack or impact. I have yet to have one actually look toward me after a shot. I had one miss where the yote, at the shot, jumped about 3' forward, spun 180 degrees, and stared at the spot where it had been standing. 2nd shot dumped him. Point is, supersonic ammo works well, the others will likely bolt initially, then stop to give you a shot. Usually....

I wouldn’t use subsonic. I use supersonic ammo with a suppressor. Often times killing multiples. I had 2 coyotes last time I was out hunting. Called them both in. The male stepped out at 100. I shot him. I called a little bit more and the female steps out about 10 feet from Where the male lay dead. Shot her too

We’ve shot multiples seconds apart and hours apart…
..standing next to each other or one coming in 200 yards behind the other 1 minute apart.
Some bolt even before the first one hits the ground and are gone…some attack the first one…some run off a little and look back Fact is not all coyotes react the same…every situation results in a different outcome on what the “other” coyote does..

I had the same idea as you a few years ago. I built a couple 300 blackout AR 15's. Fun guns to shoot but subsonic ammo isn't really practical for most coyote hunting. I've also loaded some 125 gr bullets for them that shoot well but haven't used the blackout for coyotes for 3 reasons.

#1 Even though the subsonic rounds are very quiet, the sound of the action cycling is still very loud. I've thought about getting a bolt action 300 blackout. With a suppressor, it would be very quiet. You would still have to cycle the action which could create enough noise to alert any coyote that is in within 100-200 yards.

#2 Even with lighter bullets, it is not a flat shooting rifle. I have 223's, 22-250 and 6mm that are all much better choices for coyotes.

#3 For close range the subsonic ammunition would work well but at close range (50 yards and less) a shotgun is superior. So the blackout really would be my preference for shots that are 50 -75 yards.

If I was going to set up on bait that was 50-100 yards away, a bolt action blackout could be a good choice.

Coyotes all react different to different noises. I've had many coyotes continue to charge in after I've shot another coyote with an unsuppressed rifles and shotguns. One coyote that held up at 500 yards still came in after I shot her mate at 200 yards with an 6mm with a loud break.

I have noticed coyotes are less spooky when I use suppressors on my traditional varmint rifles that are shooting 3200 - 4000 fps. Most coyotes will run after I take a shot with a suppressed rifle but it does help. I mostly like hunting with a suppressor because suppressed rifles are just a pleasure to shoot and reduce hearing damage.

you're over thinking it. The best thing IMO is to have the caller running full blast when you crank off a shot. The downside is its likely you may not get them to stop for a standing shot as result. look at suppression differently. basically its to drastically cut recoil down, (no one seems to talk about that benefit!!!) eliminate blast, and lastly of course to not make it as loud.

I’ve found, that if coyotes don’t know you’re there… then reactions to a suppressed shot are minimal. If the coyote(s) do know you’re there, then the response to a suppressed shot is often quite similar to that of an unsuppressed shot.

I’ve had dogs run AT me after the first suppressed shot dumped their partner. I believe that’s typically due to the coyote hearing the bullet flight and the impact, but not necessarily the “shot” itself. Meaning; the only “noise” they really hear is the bullet going PAST them or into their companion.

Hunting coyotes with subsonic is a tricky errand.

Back