Best barrel for a Grendel

I bought an Aero upper with the Ballistic Advantage barrel in 6 ARC from Brownells.

After 600 rounds of mediocre accuracy, I sent it back.

Being a slow learner, I bought a second one.

Took another 600 rounds before a found a decent load with 87 Bergers.

I sold that one and built a new upper with a Shilen barrel from Ranier Arms. Happiness right out of the gate.

For my 1K Benchrest guns, it's Krieger or Bartlein for 1st choice, everyone else is 2nd place.

I talked to the shop that built my rifle yesterday. They ask me to bring it in for them to look at. I took it to them Sat morning. Seems it has an Anderson barrel on it. He said he had a Ballistic Advantage barrel he could install for $206 OTD. The BA barrel wasn't on my list but I told him I would try it. About the time he was finished with the install, the owner came in and we chatted a few minutes. He knocked the price down to $140 and included a new gas block and tube. Seems my rifle was #359 and he is in the 3400-3500 range now so its one of the first batchs sold. I thought at least this guy is trying and standing behind his products. I may not be much better off but I'm going to give it a chance and I'm not out a lot of money. He does have a nice store and tons of AR and AR parts in stock.

Advanced Combat and he does have a web site. They do seem to want to make their customers return customers.

Everyone on the Grendel forum loves Precision Firearms for their barrels. I have one of his Bartlein barrels. I also own a Lilja barrel and it shoots very well also. The BCA barrel that I own is an MOA barrel and not bad for the $50 that I paid for the barrel. I haven't shot my Liberty/Satern barrel as of today, but I'm sure it also shoots well.

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/92.html

I shot the Ballistic Advantage barrel today. FMJ ammo and only 50yds but can't complain yet. Lots of crosswind and junk ammo and still shot groups, not patterns. When I got home. I sprayed Hoppe's cleaning foam in the barrel and let it set, came back with a tight patch and it came out nasty. A couple of Tactical Advantage activator patchs followed by a couple wet patch's of the cleaner and let it set. Came back about 30 minutes later and ran a clean tight patch and got very little crud and just a faint hint of copper. Ran another wet patch and let it set for about the same 30 minutes then hit it with a dry patch and was no copper and a tiny amount of black. Finished it off with a few more dry patch's and called it good. For a first time out I have no complaints or at least not as yet. I was really surprised how easy the barrel cleaned up.

I took my rifle out again today and shot a few different loads. Seems the hotter the load the tighter the groups. 123 ELD-M's and 85 grain HPBT's both with H335 produced groups that are 3/4 inch at 100yds. For the money I have in the Ballistic Advantage barrel I can't complain. I have less in my rifle with the new barrel than what they want for just a barrel. Sorry but I don't like AR's that much. LOL! I am going to have to invest in a better trigger though. This 7 pound mil spec trigger sucks bad. Rise is just down the street and I have a friend that works there. I'll see if he can hook me up with a trigger.

Back