Calling All Callers

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
Got your camo, got your stool, sticks, but you’ve forgotten a critical thing to your predator hunting success. That is predators.

Predators can be found in many, many different places.
But you have to get them to come to you. Now, spend some time researching your local hunting laws. Read them for yourself. Don’t go around and harass hunters at your local big chain, retail store. Not everyone that shops there is a mighty or successful predator hunter, and I’d wager that most of them are NOT law enforcement, a lawyer or a judge. If you get jammed up you are going to need to be able to defend your actions. Now I know that laws aren’t a lot of fun to read. But you need to do it. You need to know where you can/cannot hunt and what you can/cannot legally do.

Once you understand your local hunting regulations, now you need to scout out some hunting areas. Don’t waste time and fuel running all over the place trying to find predators. I personally don’t do much scouting in person. I use technology to my advantage. I use a lot of Google Earth. What am I looking for? The basics that all animals need: food, shelter, water. For this you need to have decided which predator you want to hunt. I hunt foxes, bobcats, badgers and coyotes for the most part. While there are some areas in my state where all 3 can be found, there are going to be areas where some of them are more common.

Coyotes can be found just about anywhere. But I like to focus on areas where food and water can be found in abundance, such as around farm fields. I don’t want to hunt the fields themselves, I want to work the edges of the fields. The coyotes will go out into the fields at night and in the pre-dawn hours and they will roam around looking for food. When the sun starts to come up most of them will head back out into the brush to find areas to lay up and sleep or lounge for the rest of the daylight hours.

Now don’t get me wrong, you can always get lucky and catch one roaming in the daylight, I have just found more success in the early dawn hours.
I have found bobcats in many of the same areas as coyotes but they tend to be more common in thick brush. Unless I am set up to go in there, I am going to have to lay up on the edge and try to draw them out.

Foxes seem to be more common in rocky and brushy areas. We say that where there are rocks there are foxes and where there are foxes there are bobcats. Don’t get me wrong, I have called in all 3 on the same stands. But there are going to be areas where they are going to be more commonly found.

This is a classic overhead view of an area that has everything I look for in a good calling area. Cover, food, water.
map 1 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

So now that you have your areas laid out, now you need to get them to come to you. For that you’re going to need a caller. You’re either going to need a hand call, an electronic caller (e-caller) or you’ll have to find a caller that doesn’t mind going everywhere with you and doesn’t mind calling predators for you.

Hand calls are an art form. You can buy plastic, but many hand calls sound better if they are made out of wood and have a custom sound board. The call makers are artists when they make custom calls. There are plenty out there. Go check out the Custom Call forum and you will find many of the call makers that support our community.

IMG_0661-700x933 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr
Custom Hand Call from Carver Custom Calls

There is no magic to making a hand call work. I have seen kids call in predator wailing on a hand call like a kazoo. But a true handcaller using a hand call is a sight to see. The downside to a hand call is that the predator will tend to zero in on you. I had that happen many, many times when I was starting out. After watching many videos I thought I understood what I was doing, so I would rail on that hand call until I was almost light headed. About the time I needed to catch my breath, I’d look up and see a coyote with a perplexed look on it’s face staring at me. Id drop my call and try to swing my gun up only to see a cloud of dust where that Wile E. Coyote had been. Then there were those pesky blank stands and blank days. Those tend to wreak havoc on a predator caller’s mind. What could I possible have done different? Next thing I knew, I’d be at the store buying yet another hand call. I don’t even want to get into how much money I spent in those early days on new calls.

It was only later after getting a chance to talk to folks like Byron South, Kerry Carver and the like that I learned what I was doing wrong. Hand calling is about timing. You call, then you stop. Then you call again, and stop. You keep this up. Turns out, that a coyote will hear you calling and start coming to the call. Now I was nervous that if I stopped, the coyote would lose interest. In reality, they go into a search pattern. They are trying to figure out where that rabbit or bird is that they heard. When this happens, they will tend to start zig zagging to try and locate their dinner. This gives you a lot of chances to get a shot on them without them knowing that you are there.

But for most new predator hunters, an electronic or ecaller is much easier to learn to use and to have early success with. I started with a Johnny Stewart PM-1 that I bought for less than $100. It had a chip with 4 calls on it and a speaker that was wired to the controller. So with my early failures with hand calls, I started running the ecaller. Same result. The PM-1 had a speaker wired to the controller, with 25 feet of speaker wire. I would be running the caller, scanning around and I would look over and see a coyote standing there. Insert dust cloud. No fur. So began my quest for the “perfect” ecaller. I bought callers from company like Phantom, Western Rivers and others. I even went to the Johnny Stewart OM-4 wireless caller. ALL of them left things to be desired. So I was back to the PM-1. But not all failures are failures. Not if you learn from them.

Patriot_1__20653 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

One thing I noticed was that when I would see coyotes, they tended to be standing in places that I would have used to walk into the area. Coyotes use trails. Just like people. High speed low drag. Again, there are going to be those hunters who yell out that coyotes will come through the brush. That is true, some will pop out of bushes. I’ve even seen some jump over the top of bushes. But those are the exceptions and not the rule. There are NO real hard and fast rules in predator hunting. Just when you think that you’ve got it ALL figured out, a coyote is going to re-write the rules. I tend to go with the percentages. When I see coyotes following a pattern more often than not, it is not advisable to ignore the pattern. With this is mind, I started connecting lead to fur. I started to visualize where the coyotes might show up and I would see them come sliding in. Armed with this knowledge, I began to put my speaker in spots where the coyotes would look away from me and give me a chance to get a shot off.

GEN2_GC350__79423 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

But I still dreamed about getting my caller farther away from me. My search for that elusive caller kept leading me back to FoxPro. Now there had to be something to this. But I kept resisting and trying to find a different caller. Mainly, it was because I didn’t want to spend money that I really didn’t have on a FoxPro. Then one day I started adding up what I had been spending and realized that it would have been cheaper if I’d have just bought a FoxPro from day 1. I saved my lunch monies, and went out and bought a FoxPro Scorpion. The Scorpion ticked off a lot of boxes. It was small, it wasn’t too loud which seemed good for those hunts when I would need to get into the brush with foxes and bobcats, but gave me the option of running an external speaker if I was calling open areas for coyotes or I ran into winds. I ran the Scorpion for 13 years. In fact when the Scorpion died, I almost cried. And once again the search for a caller begins. This time, I knew more about what I wanted/didn’t want in an ecaller. By this time, I was already running ecallers specifically for foxes/bobcats and others for coyotes. I bought a FoxPro CS-24 for coyotes, and it proved to be devastating.

x2s_1__77080 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

It seemed like coyotes were not as volume sensitive as foxes and bobcats. Foxes and bobcats seemed to be more tuned in to call quality which the Scorpion had. So, I replaced the Scorpion with a Crossfire for foxes/bobcats and it proved effective. Sadly, my Crossfire met an untimely death in an unfortunate friendly fire incident. It was replaced with a Fusion. My CS-24 also went to the happy hunting grounds after many years of faithful service. Now I run an X24. Now, full disclosure, Fusion’s and X24’s are NOT cheap.
FoxPro offers a variety of ecallers that run the gamut of budgetary levels. On the low end they offer the Patriot for around $150 all the way up to the X2 which closes in on $600. FoxPro isn’t the only player in the game. ICOtec, Lucky Duck, Western Rivers, Johnny Stewart and Convergent Hunting Solutions all offer a wide variety of callers that can range from about $70 and go up into several hundreds of dollars. Now here’s where the waters get a bit muddy. The higher end callers all offer a variety of features that you may or may not find that you actually need.

Don’t buy them just for features that you haven’t needed or actually used. Now if you have been out on a stand and found yourself needing one of those features, then you MIGHT consider a caller the next time that has that feature. But don’t get lured in by those features alone. I look for size, call quality, battery life and remote range as all well above neat features that may or may not result in more fur. DO you need a decoy on your call, you might think so, but I’ve capped a lot of predators with NO decoy, I still do. Do I have decoys? Yep. Do I use them, Yep. Usually where a coyote might get a line of sight on my caller before they get within reasonable gun range, then it’s time for a decoy to keep them coming in. But I do NOT use them on ALL stands.

I look for callers that will use rechargeable batteries like NI-Cads or lithium-ion batteries since using disposable batteries gets monotonous and expensive. Buy once cry once. Spend up and buy good rechargeable batteries, but always have a set of disposable batteries on hand just in case. It’d be a good idea to have back up batteries for your remote as well.

So now the cold hard truth…NO amount of money is going to magically make you a great predator hunter. You can go buy a $600 caller, a $5k rifle, magically invisible camo, uber scent control, and go to an area that is overrun with coyotes and you might strike out. There is nothing that replaces go old fashioned experience and technique. You’re not born with either of those, so you need to get a set of basic tools and get out and try something.

Luckily, you are a part of a GREAT predator hunting community here at Predator Masters. There are some of the BEST predator hunters in the world here and they tend to be very forthcoming with their advice.
Hopefully this information will help you to get started so that you can improve your techniques and upgrade your gear because we have some fantastic sponsors who help keep Predator Masters running who have some fantastic gear that keeps getting better all the time.

I love this series as it is really educational.

I have a long history of using e-calls. From my first fox with a battery powered record player we used for keggers at the beach with a Herters 45rpm record of sounds, it was heavy, ate expensive batteries and wasn't good for colder weather so that put it out of commision for most of the winter in Southern WI. To much more modern callers from Foxpro and Wildlife Tech. I love testing and learning, I feel that if you don't have experience with it is really hard to give an opinion.

I suffer from asthma and had to rely on e-callers a lot. Using a hand call would send me into coughing fits. since I've retired and not working in dusty condition my asthma has really backed off to the point I can call a stand if I find the need.

Like Jason I ran a JS PM-1, I will say that some of the JS sounds are still my favorites "Vittles al a Jackrabit" comes to mind. I liked the call and really wanted a remote caller but they were really expensive when the first came out. We would re-record cassettes and CDs with a blank space for a minute of nothing before the call started so we could set it out and get back to the stand before the sound started to play. The PM-1 was a good caller and when combined with remote recording device for a video recorder it could be made wireless. BUT you had three sets of batteries three on-off switches and a six-foot cord that connected the caller to the transmitter that was also the antennae. It did call a lot of critters.

Remote callers have come down in price and are quite reliable. I personally think that they are getting overly complicated.

I just gave an $89. dollar JS 12 sound remote caller to my Grandson in law, I've called coyotes with it. It will work for him until he decides that calling coyotes/predators is his thing and he'll know more of what he needs.

A reliable remote is one of the most important, it needs to give you the right sound when you want it, to be able to operate it without having to stare at it. More than once I've look down to look at a remote only to look up at a coyote staring at me 20 yards away. Those all got to live another day. I really like presets, my FP TX-500/505 had ten and I rarely needed any other calls. Minaska calls you could set up so Bank 1 was all presets(10), I set up key 9 and 0 so they were the same on every bank(pup distress and rodent squeaks), my WT has 10 presets.

I have found that within reason coyotes will come into the call from the way the caller is facing, I have no idea if it is due to the fact I'm targeting that area but it works for me and I like horn speakers and if the caller has a front and rear speaker I turn off the rear. I hunt alone most of the time and don't have a partner to watch my six, so I try to make my setups to keep preds in front of me. I think that after awhile you'll get a feel for where preds will be coming from.

I just ordered a FP Patriot, to give another inexpensive caller a tryout. This one is interesting in that it can be ordered with 35 sounds of your choice or a predetermined sound list and all for under $150.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
And be mindful that e-callers are not magic. They won't call coyotes where there are none.
The 1 thing they can do that can be VERY valuable is getting the sound away from the hunter allowing you to get away with a little movement and allowing you to play the wind in a way you might not have been able to with a hand/mouth call.

Originally Posted By: crapshootAnd be mindful that e-callers are not magic. They won't call coyotes where there are none.
The 1 thing they can do that can be VERY valuable is getting the sound away from the hunter allowing you to get away with a little movement and allowing you to play the wind in a way you might not have been able to with a hand/mouth call.

So very very true...I have met a number of newer callers who were frustrated that they had gone out, bought a caller and had gone out with no luck. When I inquired about how many stands they had run, I had to stifle a chuckle when they told me, "one."

Calling is like a batting average, the more you do, the more the odds can swing in your favor. Calling ONE stand is a good way to frustrate yourself.

I will tell people that today I can call in a coyote about every 3 stands. But let me be clear, that might mean that I call 3 stands and a coyote shows up. But there have been days where I got skunked, calling 10 stands and NOTHING showed up. Then there are those days where I can do no wrong. I had one day where EVERY stand produced coyotes, including my personal best on one stand of calling in 6 coyotes. My personal best day was calling in 13 coyotes. I won't go into how many days I drew blanks.

The e-caller is by no means a magical guaranty of success. Talk to ANY caller and they will all tell you the same thing. Whether you use hand calls or e-callers, there is no magic. Talk to guys that call over bait piles, there are days when you'll see a bunch of coyotes and then there are days when you'll see none.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishAlso, just because a coyote comes in to the call does not mean that you'll get a shot at it.

Absolutely true...I am sure that I call in more coyotes than I ever see.

How you set up your stand can increase your odds of getting eyes on a coyote and maybe getting a shot. The e-caller can help you to set up a better stand that can increase your odds.

My first E-caller was a Dennis Kirk. It was cassette player attached to the battery compartment and big speaker. My buddy and I have called a lot of red, grays, and coyotes with it. You had to learn quickly how to get a tape out and back in for your pup distress.

When I got my Fox Pro with the remote and fox bang wow, so much easier to change sounds.

When hand calling for me up in WI. I have put cloth around the mouth piece so not as much moisture would entry the close reed call and freeze . You can also inhale to make the sound. But it can give you one heck of a chest cold. And you need to try different people calls. Not all close reeds, rabbits, or jack rabbit sound the same. I have found this from the same manufactory. 2 calls looked and labeled the same but for some reason, the one would never bring anything in, the other was great.

Open reed take more time to learn on. More types of sounds can be made on this type of a call.

The newer crazy is the use of diaphragm. Again with this type, you can keep in your mouth, rabbit or coyote sounds. Again more practices on your part, but can be deadly.

So adding different calls to your collection is great for looks, and practical for another sound to use. Just like have 3 jack rabbit or cottontail sounds on your E-caller. They are not all the same.

Good luck hunting.

I've often -as in after every stand where I didn't see anything- wondered how many actually did come check it out that I never saw?

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI've often -as in after every stand where I didn't see anything- wondered how many actually did come check it out that I never saw?

I know that's happened to me. On one stand I had a junior hunter I was mentoring and his mother joined us. A coyote came in and circled us, so I tried rodent squeaks and eventually pup distress, the coyote circled us several times while it was growling. Her eyes got WIDE, I even pulled my pistol because I thought we were getting into a danger close scenario...

I even smelled them come in on more than one occasion, especially after a rain...

I have some radical thoughts on callers. I find that just about any e-caller will call coyotes, most e-callers are overly complicated and loud is over rated.

Calling coyotes is all about the stand and not the the caller. I used to carry a JS Attractor (one of the very cheapest callers with a remote) in the game bag while bird hunting. As we worked the cover every once in awhile you come across a spot that just screams "Call Here", I'd down the dog, put out the Attractor, sit on my fluorescents orange jacket, load a couple NP BBs in the shotgun and kill a coyote.

I like to experiment with things, guns, scope, cartridges, decoys, callers. I have expensive callers but inexpensive callers int intrigue me. I like to see if they will do the job without breaking the bank. The little JS Grim Speaker with 12 sounds calls calls coyotes just fine, for an experienced caller it is a little limiting but it works. Today I took out a FP Patriot one of the cheapest remote callers out there. It arrived Thursday and I set up the favorites and called in four coyotes between 8:00 AM and noon today all under 50 yards. This is heavily hunted area, at least 4 PM members hunt it, it's been featured on "Meateaters" a couple You Tube videos there are a lot of predator hunters here. All of my stands were on public land accessable with my van.

I just hate FPs remotes, only their Tx-500/505 made sense, you could make a whole stand without ever looking at the remote, Minaska and Wildlife Technologies were the same you had 10 of your favorite sounds just a key away. You never had to look down to change sounds,

I agree that it's the caller and not the caller that makes the difference...LOL...someone who can read the territory and thinks more like a predator can make pretty much anything work.

I was also a fan of the TX-500 remote...the TX-1000 has far too many useless features...I don't need it to track my hunt conditions...I already do that...it doesn't have any more range and kills batteries too fast...the buttons are nice and I like foxbang...

Thanks for the input...

We have a lot of very primitive lakes and rivers we fish with our mud boat. AND Yes there are times and places that do talk to us. For that, we have a Foxpor Truckpro built into the boat. We just stop and call from the boat, coyotes come right up to the water many times there just never called that way and don't see a boat as a problem. Many times we aren't fishing we are targeting coyotes.

https://www.gofoxpro.com/resources/downloads/product-manuals/foxpro-truck-pro-regular.pdf

fox-truck.png

A boat is also in my arsenal of weapons. Using it to access lands that are hard to get to even setting my callers on gravel bars and pulling in along the far bank of the river.

One of my dream trips is to hunt and camp the shores of Lake Mohave, up the AZ side and back down the NV side camping along the way. I've called both side from land but hunting it from my boat or canoe would be fun.

Back