24 Varminter ?

Here’s some more info on it I have came across. Looks like they renamed an existing cartridge. Probably real similar to the 6x6.8, 6DTI, 6WOA and others of the like.

It's a slightly improved 6X6.8. Shoulder is a tad longer than on a standard 6.8 SPC. No appreciable improvement on down range performance as velocities are virtually unchanged. Still stuck with 6.8 pressure levels.

Greg

Any case shortened to accept a longer bullet with significantly reduced powder capacity coupled with reduced bolt strength and increaaed bolt thrust isn't a better cartridge in my ultra humble opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Any case shortened to accept a longer bullet with significantly reduced powder capacity coupled with reduced bolt strength and increaaed bolt thrust isn't a better cartridge in my ultra humble opinion.

I'm right their with you on that.

Greg

After watching their videos and looking closely at the velocity numbers, it has nothing to offer over the 6x6.8 or the WOA, thats been on the market for a good while. More than a few have put their name on something that was first made by others. The first 6mm on a 6.8 case I saw was by White Oak Armament in the early 2000s.

Shortly thereafter, there were a half dozen wanna be's that had the same case with their name on it. Most changed the case a thousand here and a degree there. Not offering anything in the way of real world performance gain. The original Hollinger design had a long throat to accommodate the long 6MM bullets in the matches the case was designed for. Some of the smarter varmint rifle builders shortened that throat for the lighter and shorter bullets used.

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time.

I suppose at times it depends on barrel and die availability, Cost, and the barrel makers reputation for extreme accuracy.

I suppose at times it depends on barrel and die availability, Cost, and the barrel makers reputation for extreme accuracy.

The velocity numbers listed are not close to max load. In fact some were taken while fire-forming. The 24V is not trying to beat out anyone (ie: 6ARC, etc), but is trying to increase supported options for varmint/predator hunters. The 6ARC is a great cartridge, but is limited by case capacity. The other options are all good options, at this point, the 24V is easier to get into. Btw, this cartridge was released years ago as the 24GPC. We asked MDWS to adopt our name because we were so impressed with its performance in the field. If you really want a chance to try one out, for Varminter Magazine's 25th Anniversary, we are giving one away. Hit the site for more information: 25th Anniversary Giveaway Page

Originally Posted By: varminter .223What makes it easier to get into than the 6.8 variants?

Availability of build/loading components. Dies, AR15 barrels (not chambered), etc, are in stock and ready to go.

If someone would just SAAMI spec the vanilla 6x6.8 and call it a day!

All this ridiculous fire forming and ever slightly changing things to get almost the exact same ballistics is ignorant and hurts our needs of a 6mm round off the 6.8spc case that is widely accepted and standardized.

Of all the variations the 6x6.8 is the easiest option and offers outstanding performance.

Only advantage to the shoulder change seems to be less trimming between loadings. I still have no idea why the Hagar won't catch on..... if Hornady would just do another brass run. Everything is just chasing it with its 2 grain extra powder capacity.
The main reason why I would pick one of the 6.8 variants is more a choice of which one will be chambered properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Only advantage to the shoulder change seems to be less trimming between loadings. I still have no idea why the Hagar won't catch on..... if Hornady would just do another brass run. Everything is just chasing it with its 2 grain extra powder capacity.
The main reason why I would pick one of the 6.8 variants is more a choice of which one will be chambered properly.

Buy a Giraud and trimming is no longer an issue on anything! I agree totally that the Hagar is awesome, brass availability was the turn off for me and why I went 6.8 based.

If Hagar had brass, factory ammo and marketing it would catch on, just like the 6x6.8.

Maybe Hornady will invent them once the Crapmoore sales slow!

Of all the variants out there, the Hagar is the best engineered 6mm for the AR platform. I have a couple WOA's with no complaints, they are as good as any and better than most.

Back