250 Savage

pyscodog

Anyone shoot one. A guy has one for sale and I think I could get it reasonable. Found dies and loaded ammo as well. I've never had one and thinking maybe I need this. LOL 700 Rem, ADL in a walnut stock with a Douglas barrel, Leupold rings and base.

Great cartridge. I have had a couple of impressive one shot kills on whitetails. I used an older 99 with the 1-14 twist. Your 700 should have a 1-12 twist to stabilize heavier bullets. A real classic. H4831 and IMR 3031 are my go to powders with 87gr and 100 gr Speer.

Favorite cartridge of all time. punches way above it's weight class. Built one for my dad years ago, he loved it. I liked 100 gr. bullets best. 1-10 twist worked well.

Well I got up this morning and after some coffee and a little soul searching decided I would pass on the rifle. Starbird car show is going on and a antique show of sorts along with the gun show all in the same area. Traffic was horrible yesterday and parking even worse. I don't think I'll fight that again today and save my money for something I want more. Don't know what that is yet but I never seem to have a problem spending money.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog after some coffee and a little soul searching decided I would pass on the rifle.

to be honest, i'm shocked. not the ending i was expecting.

smile.gif
smile.gif

I've actually been thinning the herd slowly. Been trying to do quality over quantity. Last rifle I bought was a Seekins Havoc and I put a Nightforce NX8 on it. That kinda hurt but the end results were well worth the pain.

Great article on the 250-3000 in this months Handloader magazine. you might take a look. If i could get it in a Savage 99E I wouldn't think twice. Of course everything functions and the barrel is good.

I had a takedown 99 in 250-3000, a Savage Model 20, a rebarreled savage Model 11 and got to do all the load work up for my ex father-in-laws commercial Mauser in 250-3000. I love the cartridge and the 99 platform. After I built my 25-204 I sold off my 250's.

I've had Sav 1899/99's in 25-35, 250-3000, 300 Sav, 308 and 375 Win all great guns. I'd love one in 22 High-power for coyote hunting but they are either worn out or too much money.

Once a fellow from Texas and I bought a lot of 10 Savage 1899 and 99', we each kept a 25-35, mine a B and his an A. and then sold off the rest. We ended up with two rare Savages for free and even turned a profit on the other eight. When my eyes went bad and could no longer shoot open sights I sold the 25-35 for more than we paid for the lot of ten.

Last edited:
Back