39gr hammer hunter in 20 Practical

Heavy17

Has anyone tried the 39gr hammer hunter in 20 Practical? I know and love the 35 and 40 Berger but, wondering if anyone has any experience with this combo. I’ll be using this for coyotes.

Sounds like you'll be the test dummy on this one and can let the rest of us know how it works. BUT without much guess work, I'll bet you don't have any trouble with penetration. Matter of fact, I'll bet you end up with two holes except for the full on frontal.

Look forward to seeing some actual results.

Most don't have a fast enough twist in a 20p build for that bullet. I run 1/10 barrels and wouldn't even try these, they recommend 1/9.5 and faster. The 31 gr can run out of a 1/12" or faster.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMost don't have a fast enough twist in a 20p build for that bullet. I run 1/10 barrels and wouldn't even try these, they recommend 1/9.5 and faster. The 31 gr can run out of a 1/12" or faster.

Yea, that’s why I was wondering that. It’s an oddball fast twist for .20.

That is what really sucks about having to use lead free bullets. Quite a few rifles have to slow of a twist barrels to stabilize the longer lead free bullets so you have to use light weight bullets that are shorter.

My coyote hunting buddy uses 70 gr Hammer bullets out of his custom 243 Win and they do get plenty of penetration on coyotes.

Back