AFTER WORK COYOTE!

desert dave

Untitled by David Painter, on FlickrUntitled by David Painter, on Flickr Got off work a little earlier than normal today as I have been itching to get out and do some calling. Loaded up the gear and headed out solo Only had about an hour of daylight left to get busy and see if I could get lucky. First stand about 4 minutes in this guy just couldn't resist and just had to come take a look. the stand played out like this slight cross wind, started with 2 minutes of crow party and then went straight to nutty nut hatch for almost 2 minutes when I seen 2 crows flying my direction. Sure enough here comes this male just As my good hunting buddy once told me, crows and coyotes go hand in hand. I let him come up to about 15 yards from the call and he just stopped and starred for a second I let the 12ga shotgun eat just as he didn't like what he saw. LIGHTS OUT! 2nd stand NOT so well called in a hiker and his dog haha.

The load used was from derbyacresbob personal supply. Thanks BOB! I believe it was FEDERAL HEAVYWEIGHT #2. That load really stopped him in his tracks.

Originally Posted By: desert daveThe load used was from derbyacresbob personal supply. Thanks BOB! I believe it was FEDERAL HEAVYWEIGHT #2. That load really stopped him in his tracks.

Congratulations Dave on getting the shotgun coyote!

Those FHW 15g/cc #2 shot loads are bad a$$ on coyotes. I only have about 40 or so of those loads left.

One of the first coyotes I shot with those FHW 15g/cc 1-1/2 oz #2 shot loads, the coyote was running straight away from me at about 35 yards. When I shot the coyote, it flipped over an didn't even wiggle.

When I walked up on that coyote I could see blood running out of 3 holes in his face. Those 3 pellets went right over the coyotes back and hit him in the back of the head and comletely penetrated his skull.

Originally Posted By: desert daveYou never know, very well could be. but there is more where he came from. Come get some buddy!

You better believe I'm comin...there better be more...LOL...

Originally Posted By: SoftpointAre we talking #2 bird shot or buckshot? What kind of penetration can you get with #2 birdshot?

I can't speak for Bob on the shot he used in his shells...except to say that his shells sure get the job done from what I've seen...

I will say that which shot you choose really has to do with what ranges you think that you'll be taking shots at.

I once took a guy out and I told him to bring #4 buckshot for the hunt since we were going into a shotgun only hunt unit. We were on a stand and a coyote comes in and I watched him let it get about 20 yards away before he drops the coyote. When I went to look at the coyote it had an extremely tight and slightly odd looking pattern for buckshot. I flipped the coyote over and saw the same pattern exiting. Again that was a bit odd. So I picked up his shell...he was shooting #4 steel shot not buckshot. He said it was all he could find in "#4". This was a case of miscommunication between us...apparently the coyote chose to abstain from sharing it's opinion...

Obviously it worked but at a farther distance I'd be a bit concerned depending on not only what shot size you're using but also what material the shot is. This is where someone with a broad experience, like Derby Acres Bob, comes in real handy.

PM is lucky to have him as one of our members.

Back