NO-NO's

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
We’ve talked a lot about what new predator callers should do. Now let’s take a look at some of the No-No’s for a predator caller. I hear a lot of times from new predator hunters that they don’t understand what is wrong, why can’t they seem to call in predators. Well, a look in the mirror might reveal the culprit.

First of all, there are going to be some things that I think are going to guarantee low success rates. Let’s start with noise.

Predators are going to be alerted to your stand by using their finely tuned hearing. Hopefully they are going to hear the mouthwatering sounds of their favorite prey in distress. So imagine their confusion when they hear things like metal clanking and doors slamming. Yep, some sounds are a definite no-no. In my book, metal sounds are a no-no. Now, I know that you may have made some noise coming in to your stand location. I know that my truck is far from silent. But many predators hear vehicles. Many times those vehicles are no threat. So the sound of a truck driving may not drive them away. But add to that the sounds of metal banging and clanking, and you have a sure recipe for a blank stand. First off don’t slam doors. Close them softly. And remember that when you open the doors, predators can now hear your voices. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard hunters in side by sides almost yelling to each other. Shocker, there’s no doors on most side by sides. One day I drove back into a water hole to call for foxes and bobcats. Now, to be fair it was deer season. As I approached the water hole, I pulled off the trail before I got to the water hole itself. I was walking towards my stand location and I hear voices. I stopped and listened for a few minutes and figured out that there were two deer hunters in the water hole talking to each other. I was going to head out and leave them to their hunt, when I hear them call it quits and get into their truck. I decided to keep going, to use their truck noise to cover my sounds. I set up and waited until the sounds of their truck had just faded when I started the call. I see a fox coming OUT of that water hole, so I popped it with my shotgun. Thanks guys.
20 foot fox by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

That's how close I let the fox get before I nailed it.

I once went out with a new hunter, and we discussed the things that he needed to do and NOT to do. I asked if his gun was loaded and chambered and he told me it was. Now, in our state it is legal to drive around with a loaded hunting firearm. I know that is not the case in all states. Some states you can have the ammo in the gun but not in the chamber. So, we have little choice but to make some noise. In those states, I will leave my truck idling, get out and chamber my rifle to let the truck camouflage the sounds of my rifle. But in our state, we can travel with a loaded/chambered firearm. When we got to our first stand, I hear him slam home a round into his chamber. Apparently when we had our discussion about whether his firearm was chambered earlier, we weren’t on the same page. Ok, that stand is burned. Off to our next one. Now that we had his gun loaded, we made an approach to another stand. As we are walking in I see him pull up his gun and start looking through his scope. Ok, maybe he sees something. BOOM! He let’s a round fly. Game over. He won’t be going out with me again.

Before you go out, rattle check your kit. I duct tape just about everything that I can find on my gear, from metal to plastic. If it can make an unnatural noise, it’s getting taped. I tape my stool legs, clips, buckles, even the handguard on my rifle. Anything that can make an unnatural noise.

Next, you have to make some noise walking in. Can’t be helped. But there’s noise then there’s NOISE. A friend of mine had the horrible habit of clomping his feet. THUD, THUD, THUD, he sounded like King Kong. I may not be silent, but I sure don’t goosestep my way into my stands. I try to let brush slide off of me rather than breaking it. I will go around bunches of downed and old branches on the ground to avoid unnecessary noise.

Now let’s talk about what you do and don’t do on a stand. Sit STILL. Don’t fidget. And sure don’t update your Facebook on stand…yes, you read that right. I have watched several people on their phones while we are out on stand. Pay attention. You’re not going to see many predators looking into the face of your phone.

The caller is going to have to move, that is inevitable. The caller has to run the remote or the hand call. But a good caller keeps their movements to a minimum. Experienced callers will also move their eyes BEFORE they move their heads, that way if something is coming in, it doesn't spot them first.

Now, if you are one of the fortunate hunters to see a predator, don’t point. Yeah, that happened. Talk with your partners about how to get each other’s attention. My team knows that if I suddenly dip the volume on the caller, then I have eyes on something. I make it a practice to scan over my hunters and I try to read their body language. Hunters tend to go stiff when they have eyes on an inbound predator. I then draw the line off their eyes or guns to find the predator. Squeaks, clicks can all help you to communicate with your partner(s).

Don’t bring along the kitchen sink. I took one guy out, and I swear I could be out on stand, gotten it all set up and ready to go and still have to wait 10 minutes because he was fiddling around with his gear back at the truck. Take what you need. Nothing more.

For a new predator hunter, it can be very exciting to get an invite from a seasoned caller and hunter. But you need to be respectful. Predator hunters can be generous with their time and knowledge. But there are going to be some things that you just do not do. Poaching. No, not the kind where you illegally shoot an animal. I’m talking about poaching honey holes. Predator hunters want new hunters to be successful and have a good time. So we tend to take new hunters to some prime calling spots. On one hunt, I was all set to take a friend out. Her boyfriend said he didn’t want to go. But when that didn’t stop us, he decided to come along at the last moment. As we were running through some good stands, he had his phone out and asked me what road we were on. He was dropping pins on his map of all of our stands. When I called him out on it, he said, “well at least I told you.” NO. Not happening. That guy will never come out with me again. He’s a poacher.

You wonder how predator hunters find honey holes? TIME. Lots and lots of time. We go to an area and we work it. If it is a dry hole, we move on, but if it pays out we might go back and keep working the area. That’s how honey holes are developed. So if a predator hunter is taking you out, you don’t go back to those areas unless you have permission. We have a rule on our team. If we discover an area together, it’s free game. Go back when you want to. But don’t start dragging a bunch of people with you. Now, if it’s my honey hole, you get to go back with me.

Make sure you discuss things with your partner(s) BEFORE you start calling. Know what areas you are supposed to be watching. If you don’t know, ask, quietly.

Another common mistake for newer hunters is the desire to share the new found wonders of predator hunting with others. It’s one thing to learn how to predator hunt with a partner. But when I see guys bringing 4 or 5 new guys along, especially when they themselves are new, it is sketchy.

First of all too many hunters can be dangerous. It’s hard to keep track of everyone. Someone is going to be in a place they shouldn’t be. Just think about the Dick Cheney incident. One of their hunters drops off the line to look for a bird. He lost sight of the line and the line lost sight of him. As he raced to catch up Dick Cheney swings on a bird he ends up hitting that hunter. It is a simple mistake that could have been deadly. A simple set of rules could have prevented the incident. Such as holding the line when someone has to drop off of it.

When I started out I started with just one partner. But then I wanted to share the joys with my other friend, Smooth. So we started taking Smooth out with us…BIG mistake…I didn’t share the joy, I shared the frustration with him of drawing blank stands. He stopped going out because we never saw anything. Years later I asked to go out again, and he told me he wasn’t really interested in just sitting in the desert making noise. I assured him that I had things figured out. You should have seen his eyes when I called in a triple on our 1st stand of the day. We ended up calling in 6 that day. Needless to say, he started coming out on a regular basis now that I had learned to do more than just make noise in the desert.

IMG_2762 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

My friend Smooth after one of our hunts...he was a goof...RIP buddy...

There are countless other NO-NO's that many of the more seasoned hunters may like to share. Learn from your mistakes, those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it...and remember the definition of insanity...

Mo

Another NO-NO. When you get a shot on stand, kill or not, don't stop calling and don't stop watching. Stay there and call as long as you had originally intended. If you planned on a 15 minute stand and kill a coyote after 1 minute, then another one at 3 minutes, sit tight, don't get up, don't talk, just keep calling. Even call a little bit longer than originally planned.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAAnother NO-NO. When you get a shot on stand, kill or not, don't stop calling and don't stop watching. Stay there and call as long as you had originally intended. If you planned on a 15 minute stand and kill a coyote after 1 minute, then another one at 3 minutes, sit tight, don't get up, don't talk, just keep calling. Even call a little bit longer than originally planned.

- DAA

kind of goes along with this^^^ and i just recently had this happen.

if you are out with a new guy, make it very clear before you leave the vehicle that if a coyote gets killed right off the bat, do not jump up and start high fiving, fist bumping, yelling fried chicken or doing some kinda al morris dance.

make it clear that a quick kill is just the start of a successful hunt. nobody moves or gets up until the boss gives the ok to celebrate.

Yes sir...the caller is the one who sets the stand...the shooters have the easy job.

Now once you and your partner have ironed things out and work well together it becomes more of a team effort.

I was hunting with my partner Bob. At the end of the stand I blew the breakdown call. I stood up but froze when I saw Bob drop back onto his rifle. I quickly sat back down. Bob then lets a round fly. Turned out that a coyote was sitting at the end of our brushline watching the call like we were. Bob spotted him sitting there because of the angle he had. I was a bit further back and didn't see it.

A good team can score more fur...

Guys,

I have another most important tip. It only works in Ohio and on Public Hunting Areas. Wear cologne. Doesn’t matter what brand or scent. Just rub it all over your face. It really covers up your scent.

I heard rumors that it also works on Public Hunting Areas in Arizona. Maybe SnowManMo will enlighten us.

Hee hee hee

This is a pretty obvious one, or should be. Don't drag your gun out of the safe and expect it to shoot the way it did the year before. I've seen plenty of new guys and sadly enough, guys that ought to know better, miss a coyote because their rifle was sighted in the last time they shot it. Which just happened to be 12 months ago and it's been bouncing around in the passenger seat of their truck and who knows what else since then.

I shoot my rifle at paper before I even look at a coyote while I'm carrying it. That's not a good time to find out it's not shooting right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOh c'mon man, OPH everyone knows that old secret! Works better if smoking a cigar while eating tator chips!

OMG...I just had a vision of John Travolta struttin out on stand with Stayin Alive playing in the background...LOL...

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerThis is a pretty obvious one, or should be. Don't drag your gun out of the safe and expect it to shoot the way it did the year before. I've seen plenty of new guys and sadly enough, guys that ought to know better, miss a coyote because their rifle was sighted in the last time they shot it. Which just happened to be 12 months ago and it's been bouncing around in the passenger seat of their truck and who knows what else since then.

I shoot my rifle at paper before I even look at a coyote while I'm carrying it. That's not a good time to find out it's not shooting right.

So true, and I know that it's been tough to do these past few years with the ammunition premium rising, but just when you think you've shot enough...shoot more...

I'd say 99% of the time when I miss it's because I missed, not the gun, not the ammo, ME. Now when I miss, I haul out my steel bobcat target and verify that it was the loose nut behind the bang switch...in all my years I can count on one hand the number of times that it was a gun or optic malfunction...not that it doesn't happen, it just doesn't happen often.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerThis is a pretty obvious one, or should be. Don't drag your gun out of the safe and expect it to shoot the way it did the year before. I've seen plenty of new guys and sadly enough, guys that ought to know better, miss a coyote because their rifle was sighted in the last time they shot it. Which just happened to be 12 months ago and it's been bouncing around in the passenger seat of their truck and who knows what else since then.

So true, and I know that it's been tough to do these past few years with the ammunition premium rising, but just when you think you've shot enough...shoot more...

I'd say 99% of the time when I miss it's because I missed, not the gun, not the ammo, ME. Now when I miss, I haul out my steel bobcat target and verify that it was the loose nut behind the bang switch...in all my years I can count on one hand the number of times that it was a gun or optic malfunction...not that it doesn't happen, it just doesn't happen often.

Agreed, I do the same thing when I miss. And I've found the same to be true more times than not. But I feel like it's more of a mental thing. I compare it to how that Dallas Cowboy kicker was on a missing streak. Wasn't nothin wrong with his shoe,the ball or the field goal. It just got in his head.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerThis is a pretty obvious one, or should be. Don't drag your gun out of the safe and expect it to shoot the way it did the year before. I've seen plenty of new guys and sadly enough, guys that ought to know better, miss a coyote because their rifle was sighted in the last time they shot it. Which just happened to be 12 months ago and it's been bouncing around in the passenger seat of their truck and who knows what else since then.

Agreed, I do the same thing when I miss. And I've found the same to be true more times than not. But I feel like it's more of a mental thing. I compare it to how that Dallas Cowboy kicker was on a missing streak. Wasn't nothin wrong with his shoe,the ball or the field goal. It just got in his head.

Oh yeah, I think it's something that most of us go through. I know that if I pulled a blank hunt, that little voice in the back of my head would start up. The more dry stands the louder that voice got. Next thing you know, I was becoming conscious in front of some wall of stuff at the store. I had to buy that ONE thing that was stopping me from success. All I really needed was a mirror...

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOh c'mon man, OPH everyone knows that old secret! Works better if smoking a cigar while eating tator chips!

OMG...I just had a vision of John Travolta struttin out on stand with Stayin Alive playing in the background...LOL...

I play Queen. We will rock you. But I think the coyotes are catching on. Gonna change it up to ACDC.

Hee hee hee

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerThis is a pretty obvious one, or should be. Don't drag your gun out of the safe and expect it to shoot the way it did the year before. I've seen plenty of new guys and sadly enough, guys that ought to know better, miss a coyote because their rifle was sighted in the last time they shot it. Which just happened to be 12 months ago and it's been bouncing around in the passenger seat of their truck and who knows what else since then.

I made an actual size coyote out of plate steel. Welded a swing plate vital area, printed a life size coyote picture and I'm good to go. Instead of shooting paper, I practice moving my life size coyote target from 100 yards out to 400 yards. My sight picture is exactly what it is when I'm shooting an actual coyote. Steel plate last forever. No paper targets to throw away etc. Here's a couple pics of my practice target.

k0bieQSm.jpg

CqsbLkbm.jpg

I used to put on a shoot with theses targets with a kill area on the back, later to speed things up I put kill shaped plates behind them. We'd set them at various ranges to 300 yards (limit of the pit.), some sitting in the brush with just the front half showing some up on a hillside. I even built a pop up on at 30 yards. Scored on hits and time if anyone cleaned the targets time became the deciding factor.

73u31f.jpg

I still have four of the target frames and the pattern Coastal WA ruined a lot of them.

Ryder was just waiting for one of them to run.

Last edited:
Those targets look great! My buddy got a coyote target a few months ago so we plan on shooting at it at different yardages this Summer. We can shoot out to 800 yards at his place. I don't know that we'll stretch it out that far but we might just for fun.

Back