Getting there

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Do you really think you need a 4x4? I've had four over the years, a 56 Willy's wagon, 72 for Bronco, a 74 Ford Bronc and a 76 Jeep CJ-5. I ran traplines and predator hunted all across northern WI and MN. They were great the 72 Bronco finally had the doors taken off, chains on all 4 corners and was used as a log skidder.

Then I bought my first P/U with Posi-traction and never looked back at 4-wheel drive. Less maintenance, less stuff to break, better mileage and will go 90% of the places a 4x4 will go. I've had to pull out more than one 4x4. Drive along the hiway in the north country and you can pick up enough sets of semi chains to make a very aggressive set that will really get you through the snow and ice. I will say that soft sand is a bug-a-boo for none 4 wheel drive.

I've set up my van with posi and it is not only my travel and camping rig but also my hunting rig and I camp where I'm hunting.

Originally Posted By: AWSDo you really think you need a 4x4?

Without question. Beyond any shadow of doubt. Yes, yes I absolutely do. And a pretty hella good one at that.

- DAA

Absolutely. I hunt many places that are not 2wd-friendly. Many times it's more about clearance than four tires spinning. There are places I won't even take the little Ram 1500, even though it's 4wd, because it's too low.

Yes. My Ram 1500 is 4WD and even has a real tight gear driven LSD (same thing as a Posi, only better). And a small lift, and bigger than stock tires. But I swear, it can get stuck on a piece of wet toilet paper. And no ground clearance at all - and it has more than it did from the factory - but it still isn't much. Gets hung up just way too easy. It's totally unsuitable for most of my hunts.

We get stuck fairly often even with 4x4. Not just in mud or snow, either, sometimes we get stuck even in bone dry terrain, with 4x4. A two wheel drive just simply can't cut it for how I like to roll.

- DAA

It is an interesting subject. I hunt public lands, public lands everywhere I've hunted requires you to stay on established roads, they might not have seen a grader since they were established but they are still designated roads on public lands maps. I don't hunt big game.any longer just birds and preds.

I don't just hunt around my home.place but have killed.preds and fowl in NM, MN, SD, MN, WA, MT, NV, WY, CO, AZ, WI and have never bemoaned the fact that I don't have 4x4.

I recently bought a MC to hunt off of not for the ability to get places my van won't go, but for the ease of hiding it and the 60-80 mpg.

Well, if you tried to follow me around for a few weeks you would bemoan the crap out of not having 4x4
laugh.gif

- DAA

I should add though, that chains are amazing. I know for a fact that in some deep snow and even some mud situations, a 2WD with chains will get farther than my Jeep without chains. I've seen me do it.

But there are other situations, lots of them, where wheelbase and ground clearance are what makes the difference vs. raw traction. Washouts. Steep cut banks from recent flooding. Ledges. Big rocks. Sand dunes.

And any time you are getting a rear tire in the air, that front axle pulling is real nice too. Steering in bad mud, front axle is a legitimate asset. Steering on anything real slippery, it's nice to have the steering axle pulling.

I wouldn't be without it. Just don't see any reason not to.

- DAA

I would not try going out with 2 wheel drive. Start get mud or snow on the two track roads and you will wish you had 4 wheel drive. Even some of the main asphalt and dirt roads here can get bad when it snows. Especially winters like we are having this year.

My point is you can hunt predators across this country without the need for a 4x4.and you will be successful. You can drive a 2-wheel drive to a hunt and be successful. I know, I've.done it for the past 40+ years.

I agree that there are some places you can't get to but there is so much country you can get to that you can hunt that it makes little difference.

Would never dispute that.

Didn't realize that was your point. I agree completely with that. Of course you don't need 4x4 to kill coyote. I could walk from my house and kill a coyote once in awhile. I could drive a '68 Chevelle to many places I hunt, once in awhile, during the months I hunt coyote. My first solo long distance offroad multi day trip was in a '68 Chevelle.

The question, do "I really think I need 4x4 though", yes, absolutely, I do think so. I know so. You do need 4x4 to hunt some of the places I hunt at some of the times I hunt them. Just cold hard fact. Heck, some of the rock chuck hunting I do honestly requires 4WD. 2WD just ain't getting there without way more hassle and headache than I want to deal with on my recreational outings. But more importantly, my lifestyle demands 4WD. I'd just be shut out of too many places I like to spend a lot of my coyote hunting time without 4x4. Just plain shut out.

If 2WD is all you ever need, more power to you and no criticism from me. Respect.

It isn't a viable option for me though.

- DAA

I understand, I've watched some of your vids and it seems 4 wheeling is as much a part of what you do as is predator hunting.

Growing up in WI my first hunting vehicle was a 53 Studebaker when it snowed we'd slap chains on it and load the truck with old batteries from the gas station I worked at. Stick with overdrive it was a beast in the snow.

Last edited:
4wd was definitely required on this hunt, and that's the same kind of country I hunt coyotes in. Usually it doesn't rain much in my coyote "season," but it can and I'd be hosed without 4wd in that crap. And that doesn't even cover the butt-deep sand and frame-twisting washouts. But that's where your bike comes in. I bet you can get some gnarly places with that little guy!

You had time restraints on that hunt and had to be out there then and you had to hunt that exact area.

As a predator hunter, I don't. If the roads are loon fecal material I can hunt other areas. If I get to a place that I can't get through I can go someplace else or hike across it to hunt the other side. I have no problems hiking in or skiing/snowshoeing in the winter. I used to carry a mountain bike on the back of the van. Washington had a lot of hunting behind closed gates. Mud and chains go together quite well but if it is a traveled road I see no reason to tear it up if I don't have to. I hunt alone most of the time, I know what my trucks limits plus I go very prepared, tire chains, log chains 3/4 nylon ropes, two large winches, shovel, ax and ground anchors. I rarely get stuck enough to need them.

The bike is mainly for the mileage, sand is even worse on the bike and I still have to stick to the roads. There are some washes that I can cross with the bike but again I don't like taking chances that I don't have to.

I was around when 4wd was a new thing. My Dad always told me that 4wd just makes you get stuck in worse places. I have proven him right...a lot.šŸ˜

I grew up farming and ranching and we didn't have 4x4 until I was in high school, Dad never had one until then. I learned the value of chains and proper weight distribution and the value of staying out of spots I couldn't get through, but that lesson was learned the hard way lol.

I wouldn't be without 4x4 either, and I carry at least one set of chains at all times also. And have needed them a few times.

I'm getting a little older, hit 77 this year(last year) and getting a little nervous on the MC in the back country. So I decided to get something that that can't fall over easily. Again no 4x4, simple to work on and reliable.

29vp0V.jpg

Finally got the title squared away, on and off road plates and permits. Needed brakes all around, I put discs in the back drums up front. All new brake plumbing, single circuit to dual circuit, even new peddles. Installed an e-brake. Next is all new wiring. The frontend was shot so I had redo the kingpins and link pins, that's done. Need to fab running boards/brush guards and rear fenders. Should make a decent hunting rig.

Last edited:
I went the other way and got a 4wd Polaris Ranger. I've already been able to access some cool calling locations that a regular vehicle, even in 4wd, won't get to. I like to find roads that are too washed out for vehicle access but are not actually closed. That little Ranger will crawl across most any washout and then I'm hunting near-virgin country!

ATV's would have served well, but prohibited on ranches I hunted. Flat country w/lots of mud in rainy season + spots of deep, soft sand required 4x4, but even the Silverado was not up to some of the tasks. Wound up in mud up to the frame when it was necessary to cross a 400 yard wide roller chopped pasture to recover a nilgai.
1704904906919.jpeg

Would never have tried that soft ground had it not been necessary to retrieve a nilgai. Had to use the winch 3 times to get back to solid ground. 2nd time was the worst, pulled truck sideways on it's belly @ first turn @ top of page.^^
1704905481060.jpeg

Found a TJ and moved the winch from the truck to the jeep. Came close a few times, but never stuck the jeep. Did use the winch several times over the years to pull out other vehicles, mostly larger 4x4s. Had a 2WD pickup w/positrac which was a big improvement over 2wd, but it was not a 4x4. Sure hated to see the jeep go, but no longer hunting big game so its back to the Silverado again.

Back