Big Bull Elk…..taken in Virginia

Adam,
Missouri has a reintroduced elk herd also. We got our elk from Kentucky in 2011-2013. Missouri now has a free ranging herd of somewhere over 500+ elk. Elk hunting here is for residents only and there is a bow season and firearms season. I think five tags are issued by random drawing annually. All this occurs in my stomping grounds. I see elk fairly often and we hear them bugle quite often. Last year trying to find a bobcat my son bungled the shot on we found the remains of a dead elk. Not sure what killed this one but the conservation department has documented that mountain lions have killed six of our elk since the reintroduction. I enjoy spending time in a place that supports good populations of elk, black bears, wild hogs and even a few mountain lions along with the more usual critters like deer and turkeys.

The elk herd here is a couple of counties over from me. We have black bear but no official mountain lions. I’ve heard the occasional report of an alleged sighting and a few more reports of people hearing what they claim to be a lion, but who knows if any of that is legitimate. The DGIF did install a camera in an area where the elk herd frequents and you can go online and watch a live feed of it for free. My son and I would get on it occasionally during the time leading up to the rut. It was neat to see them on the camera and hear them bugling. I’m sure it would be an even more impressive experience in person. There is public access areas and even guided tours so we may go over there this fall and see it in person.

One day while bowhunting deer the wind came up pretty gusty so at midday my son and I took a little hike doing some scouting. I spotted this little 4x5 busy munching acorns. The wind was in our favor and I put a sneak on him. Got about twenty yards before he realized I was there. I zoomed the camera on my iphone a little and got several good pictures before he spooked.

Bears aren't uncommon for us...

Hogs get no breaks...

Last edited:
That's some elk, Adam, thanks for posting.

Cool picture of the elk, Gary! Love to put the sneak on various critters; get some good pictures that way.

Regards,
hm

Back