6mm GT

A friend of mine is tooling up for a 6GT. It sounds like a great little package. The advantages i have heard: 1) Feed good from AI magazine (dashers and BRs sometimes dont feed unless you work over extractor in remy 700 and install a BR magazine adapter. 2) barrel life "should be better" than creed, '47, XC, 243. 3)nearly same velocity as 6creed with less powder.
I can't bring myself to do it yet cuz too much money in dies below and above it.. would like to have it but good dies arent cheap nor is good brass...
They will win matches and kill stuff just fine.. would be great for a person getting started that didnt have a drawer full of dies and brass already..
I am sure there are more advantages to it.. should be a sweet round..!!

Winchester model 70 action(from 243 FWT)
Steiner GS3 2-10x42
Factory bottom metal
Factory trigger at 2.5lbs
1 in 8 Bartlein #3 at 22”
B&C stock
7.5lbs gun only
10lbs 6oz as pictured
Smithed by Dale Hegstrom at little crow gun works in Spicer MN.

60464_600x400.jpg

60465_600x400.jpg

95 degrees and 30mph tailwind felt like standing in front of a nipco heater.
Shot about 40 rounds today cleaning every 3-5 shots.

Then shot this 4 shot group. First shot was oil/clean barrel. 100 Sierra gamechangers.

Last edited:
Also shot some rounds with 103 eldx with Varget, H4350, and H4831sc looking for pressure signs. Didnt see any.

No chrono, too hot and I hate heat.

Last edited:
60486_600x400.jpg

Got out some after work today and the wind wasn’t blowing 30mph.

103 eldx
33gr Varget
New Hornady brass
CCI 400
2835fps
SD 8
ES 32

1 100gr gamechanger dropped this doe. DRT

Breakfast from the shooting position before I go get my hands bloody.

Last edited:
I like your taste. I was between the Dasher, the GT, and the Creed for one of my builds and ended up going creedmoor because of availability of Factory ammo in a pinch and I figured it would be a good whitetail or even small PA black bear gun if needed.

It is on a Stiller action with a Bartlein #3 fluted finished at 24" bedded in a Grayboe outlander stock. Ceraking all metal in Armor black to go with the tan stock much like yours. Smith called and said its getting finished up along with my Defiance 6.5x47. Pretty pumped. I dig the GT, would mind a build in that too. After hearing George Gardner talking about it, I was ready to order a barrel.

I have been planning a standard .243 build with a 1:12 4 groove barrel to do nothing but 55 and 70 gr Noslers.

Want to dig into .22 Creedmoor too. Guess no matter how many you have built, theres always going to be 2 more in the works lol.

Back