Installing a bottom pic rail on a Boyd’s laminate stock

Nciyotehunter

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I have a bolt action 22-250 with a Boyd’s laminate stock that I want to install a bottom pic rail on. I see that most rails are installed toward the end using the swivel stud hole but I want the rail closer to the middle of the stock. Can this be done? Would I pre- drill the holes and just screw it on? Would there be enough support? Was curious what you all thought and thanks for your time.

Wood screws might hold for a while but I think I would find some type of escutcheon and bed it into the stock then use a machine screw to hold the rail to the stock.

Originally Posted By: AWSI would through drill it the countersink a nut and washer in the bottom of the barrel channel.

This would work good as well. A wood screw would be more of a temp fix to me. Sooner or later it will turn loose.

Get a t-nut and matching machine screw.
T-nuts come in various configurations.
McMillan stocks uses them for the front swivel stud.

Countersunk in the barrel channel and glued in place.

Tim that would work great I didn't realize they came in that small of size, I use them a lot in 1/4x20.

Originally Posted By: AWSTim that would work great I didn't realize they came in that small of size, I use them a lot in 1/4x20.

Lot's of sizes standard and metric. Some have prongs/barbs to be drawn into wood so they don't spin. Others have holes ,for nails or screws or for a place for adhesive to stick to.

If a person can only find the prong/barb style t-nut and you don't want to use the prong , just crimp them flat with a pair of pliers.

I worked a small town hardware in my younger days. Didn't pay the best ,but I sure learned a lot. Plus got to talk to all the local farmers about hunting permission.
grin.gif

Back