.450 Bushmaster.

OKRattler

How many of y'all use the .450 Bushmaster for coyotes inside 200 yards? I plan on using one for a close range gun for contest. What bullets have you had the best results with? Obviously I'm not too worried about the fur. I just want them knocked off their feet and not getting back up.

Hornady 250 ftx was brutal on one I shot facing me at about 50 yards. I reckon any expanding bullet out of a 450 would be the equivalent of swatting flies with a sledge hammer.

Last edited:
Have one but haven't killed anything with it yet. Not much different than using a muzzleloader. About the same trajectory.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Hornady 250 ftx was brutal on one I shot facing me at about 50 yards. I reckon any expanding bullet out of a 450 would be the equivalent of swatting flies with a sledge hammer.

Excellent. I've heard great things about that bullet. I'll give them a go and see what kind of accuracy I get. I figured just about any bullet would work but an expanding bullet is what I'd like to use. Overkill is okay in this situation. I just need them to stay put for contest.

The trajectory won't be too bad within the ranges I'll be shooting. Anything that's outside of 200 yards I'll have a backup rifle. Most shots I take with it will be under 150.

Last edited:
Would y'all recommend changing the buffer or anything if you're switching to .450 Bushmaster from a 5.56? I've read yes,no and everything in between. I've come to the conclusion that the answer is "sure, if you want to." I mean, it's not gonna blow up and knock my head off if I don't I wouldn't assume. But would it be better to in your opinion?

I would imagine the gas port should be sized to have an ample amount of gas with a rifle or heavier buffer set up. I would pay attention to where the brass ejects. If it is somewhere around 3 o clock I wouldn't worry about it but f you have a heavier buffer laying around it might be worth tuning with. As long as it cycles and locks open on the last shot all is well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerWould y'all recommend changing the buffer or anything if you're switching to .450 Bushmaster from a 5.56? I've read yes,no and everything in between. I've come to the conclusion that the answer is "sure, if you want to." I mean, it's not gonna blow up and knock my head off if I don't I wouldn't assume. But would it be better to in your opinion?

Look up the 450 bushmaster forum: there is tons of info on that caliber as well as recoil mitigation. Adding a lead slug to a M16 bolt carrier really helps to smooth things out.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerWould y'all recommend changing the buffer or anything if you're switching to .450 Bushmaster from a 5.56? I've read yes,no and everything in between. I've come to the conclusion that the answer is "sure, if you want to." I mean, it's not gonna blow up and knock my head off if I don't I wouldn't assume. But would it be better to in your opinion?

I run adjustable gas blocks on them when building for customers...makes the guns reliable and tames recoil a bit...I always build with rifle buffers.

As for accuracy, the Hornady FTX gave great results at 100 yards...with practice we got it to clover leaf 3 rounds.

It is a hammer on deer...crumples them up...

I'll get an adjustable gas block. I probably won't start off with a heavier buffer unless I need one. I don't guess there's any use in fixing something that ain't broke.

Back